Square "growing pains" Reviews | Glassdoor

Square Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Feb 19, 2018

3.9
Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey
Pros
  • "High emphasis on work life balance and a culture within the talent org of trying new things like supporting remote recruiters/managers(in 45 reviews)

• "Open, transparent, low ego work environment(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Typical growing pains of a new office(in 28 reviews)

• "Just starting 401k matching so the program is not as developed as some others yet (but will get there)(in 20 reviews)

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews

"Sense of purpose, interesting work, strong team"

Current Employee - Analytics in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

You really feel like you're helping small business owners, coworkers are very smart and push you to be better, company is doing well and people are happy. Very nice office and great food.

Cons

Growing pains of mid-size company: inexperienced managers, lack of resources, lack of structure that sometimes leads to inefficiency. And I know this is dumb but the lunch reimbursement in the SF office is unnecessarily complicated.

Advice to Management

Invest in people development, especially for managers. Square has a very "figure it out on your own" culture, but it's important for managers to have resources so they can learn to support their teams.

Square2017-06-21

"Square Support"

Former Employee - Customer Support in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Friendly, intelligent, and diligent colleagues - Free food

Cons

- No growth in support. There's very little opportunity to advance into a career outside of the support environment. typically, support is a stepping stone towards other career paths, but there's little to no room for mobility aside from being a support manager or resolution specialist (tackling escalated cases). - Difficult to support other products of Square when they don't have a customer facing team/direct... transfer for incoming calls. I.e. Employee Management, Capital, Cash. Supporters are expected to have knowledge of multiple product areas so it does get difficult when there's new features/bugs in the platform/product requests/etc. since there's no clear escalation path in place - The nature of support is 24/7. You are meant to serve the customers and with that in mind, expect to work holidays. When other employees get a week in between Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, you're more than likely working. Though you get to work from home, it's unfortunate having to be locked up in a room taking calls while the rest of your family enjoys the holiday. - Growing pains = culture is difficult to maintain with rapid growth - Little diversity in the certain product areas and it does get cliquey.

Advice to Management

Please take a deep dive into company culture and inclusion within each department/product. Culture is fostered within these smaller product areas and some could use more help than others. Please also give support more recognition. The work is difficult and demanding and more work/life balance would be nice especially during the holiday season.

Square2018-02-19

"Good for Mid Career - Senior Folks will be frustrated"

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

+ Great Mission + Well meaning people + Lots of freedom +Competitive pay + No annual or semi-annual churn of merit bonus (see also cons on this)

Cons

+ Growing pains + Not family friendly benefits or hours + Lots of room to grow - if you are at mid-career or lower. More senior folks will struggle with upward movement + Lousy commuter benefits + Hard if you don't live in San Fran + HR is unclear about how to get promoted + Lack of merit bonus keeps people less motivated on ownership - people spend a crazy amount of energy trying to *not* be the decision... maker

Advice to Management

You must be more consistent in how you treat employees. If you are so passionate about serving the under-served, start with your employees. Be empathetic to their unique situations, provide a clearer path for promotion.

Square2018-01-15
  4. "Square aligns with my values"

Current Employee - Support in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Square full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vision of Economic Empowerment executed at all levels of the company, strong Diversity and Inclusion efforts (see 7/20/17 TechCrunch article), free food and drinks, great benefits--health, dental, visual; 401K matching; flex PTO

Cons

Still has some growing pains from startup to more mature company at 8 years old.

Square2017-06-21
  5. "Disputes Resolution"

Risk Operations

I worked at Square for less than a year

Pros

Amazing company to work for

Cons

Typical growing pains of a new office

Advice to Management

More Transparency

Square2017-05-29
  6. "Cares about employees"

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

- 'People first' is a view that stems from upper management all the way down the chain. Square places a large emphasis on generous benefits, leave policies and even the daily perks you see around the office. - Amazing cause which binds the employee together - Composition of employee base is really unique with large teams of Data Science, Finance, Analytics -- offers an employee a multitude of options with... internal mobility - Huge emphasis on Transparency

Cons

- Experiencing growing pains and working hard to continue to scale all functions of the business - Pretty flat managerial structure which offers a lot of opportunity for employees to take leadership, but can sometimes leave question to who is the actual decision maker

Advice to Management

Continue to put people first, invest in systems to help us grow, and provide top performers to grow their careers.

Square2017-02-17

"Great engineers, like family, and growing."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Square full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This review is focused primarily on the ATL office. I'm one of a handful of engineers that left Google together over four years ago to create a new office in ATL for Square. We've strived hard to maintain the same close-knit environment we started with, even as we've delivered many major contributions, grown 5x, and added several more teams. - Our compensation is competitive. - We have many smart engineers,... ranging from PhDs in CS to pedigrees at Amazon and Google. - We have a friendly, collaborative atmosphere. - Square continues to retain its startup feel, and it's much easier to have an outsized impact compared to larger companies like Google. Don't be fooled by my four star ratings. I almost never rate anything perfect.

Cons

Square continues to grow, which is awesome, but it means there are growing pains. For example, some time ago, the company revamped its engineering ladder to be more consistent and prescriptive about career paths. This is good, but even good changes cause some amount of temporary pain.

Square2017-01-18

"Most impressive collection of talent I've worked with"

Former Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Square full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Square has tons of great people: in engineering, branding, customer support: most parts of the organization, really. Furthermore, there is a culture of working together across organizational boundaries and a collaborative mindset.

Cons

The constant reorgs and uncertainty about career paths and expectations reflect growing pains to be sure, maybe also a cultural/deliberate practice of not getting set in their ways. But it can be hard to understand what you're supposed to do, how long until the next big change, and who is supposed to keep what running as management is thinking of loftier things.

Advice to Management

For the most part, keep up the good work. Continue to hire the best people you can find and give them the authority to do their jobs. Do think more about how people work together and whether there is power without accountability (especially for non-manager senior engineers).

Square2016-10-16

"Perfect company"

I have been working at Square

Pros

big enough to be impactful, but still so much room to grow smart, driven employees cutting-edge products, and they're only getting better perks are great

Cons

Some growing pains as some teams expand to new cities, even new countries! But that's a part of every company. We'll figure it out

Advice to Management

make sure our marketing/messaging is consistent - our focus on catering to upmarket merchants doesn't correlate well with the 'mom & pop' model we've built for so long

Square2016-09-28

"It has been a great experience for me."

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Lot's of learning opportunities. Self-learning and personal improvement is at the core of Square. Majority of the founding team didn't have background in fintech but self-taught. You can see that it's still encouraged very actively. - We work hard but we are extremely stress free. Culture is really open to failing fast and learning from experiences.

Cons

- While mostly over now, growing pains can still be seen in certain parts of the company - Trying to be David against Goliath (the industry we are trying to disrupt) means a lot of hard work

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Please make sure that we have the best talent we can get.

Square2016-09-23