Squarespace Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2020

3.4
Squarespace Founder and CEO Anthony Casalena
Anthony Casalena
Pros
  • "Squarespace does care a lot about about it's employees and you get a lot of cool perks like catered lunch (this does come out of your salary, however(in 26 reviews)

• "Free lunch saves you so much money(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "No bonuses in Customer Care, Team Leads who manage the(in 10 reviews)

• "Customer Operations has some ceilings for growth but there are opportunities to move between departments, depending on skills(in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent opportunities for engineering"

I have been working at Squarespace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Been here for a year, and I can say my experience has been excellent and rewarding so far. There is always a lot of exciting work and opportunities to learn, which translate into growth, as a developer and in terms of career. I think this is due to the size of the company (not too small, not too large). Projects are more visible and engineers are more collaborative. Also, we get the perks of a large established company, liked 401k matching, free lunch, 100% covered health insurance, and unlimited PTO. The location of the office is amazing, right in West Village and commuter-friendly.

Cons

The company is taking on a lot, which is great, but that means re-orgs and new teams, new leadership, etc. This is good and bad - it's just something to be aware of.

2. "Solid Engineering Culture"

I have been working at Squarespace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Collaborative, supportive, disciplined. Lots of opportunities to level up as an engineer.

Cons

Can be chaotic, not very diverse gender or racially.

3. "Better than most but room to improve"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Squarespace full-time

Pros

Generally good work life balance. Good Healthcare, 401K match, competitive pay, free lunch and snacks. There are some kind and talented people working here!

Cons

Career ladder is unclear and the person who promotes you doesn't work with you directly. That level of indirection and opacity creates politics that can be hard to navigate.

4. "Culture like most other tech companies"

4.0
    Former Employee - Advisor

I worked at Squarespace full-time

Pros

I met a lot of great people working here, enjoyed the office space and socializing. I also gained a lot of skills in how to problem solve technology.

Cons

At the time I was there, it was challenging to move up in the company. While I enjoyed the free lunches and beer, they use this as a reason not to pay you more because this is considered part of your "compensation". I left because I could barely pay my rent, and didn't see any way to move up in the company and keep my integrity.

"Few opportunities, unless you fit the mold"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Squarespace full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Free Health Insurance - Free lunch, snacks, and coffee - The people are some of the best I've worked with and a primary reason I enjoyed coming to work every day.

Cons

- Hired with Unlimited PTO as part of compensation. Squarespace changed policy to 'flexible PTO' without properly notifying employees, and without clarity on what the shift meant for existing employees - Employees must agree with their ideals created when the company was much smaller, not open to new ideas/change - Opportunities for growth and career advancement seem somewhat subjective – with some people working at levels well above their title or promoted for positions in which they had close to no experience (especially positions in management). - There is little growth opportunity for smart, creative and dedicated people unless you fit a specific mold - Certain Executive leadership members seem more worried about their image than the growth and development of their teams - It seems management is not held accountable for the success of their direct reports at Squarespace. Their team's performance should have a direct impact on their success at the company - There is very little culture - Diversity and inclusion efforts feel disingenuous at times

Continue reading
  6. "Overall, I enjoy working for Squarespace."

Current Employee - Customer Operations Advisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Squarespace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, benefits, maternity / paternity leave, PTO

Cons

The folks that develop and create the product need to spend more time talking to the folks that support the product and understand what the end user actually values.

7. "Unfold"

1.0

I have been working at Squarespace

Pros

Clean, light, easy product that is fairly known

Cons

Horrible leadership who I’ve heard terrible things about in terms of business practice. The fact that squarespace invests in this makes me seriously doubt the company

"Gaslighting Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Squarespace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free meal Unlimited time off Average salary

Cons

-Poor management -There is no Culture -Managers check your Slack messages -They use your social media against you -People gossip non-stop - it's a gaslighting work environment

"Marketing."

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Squarespace full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Most people who work at Squarespace are super smart, creative, and fun. If you’re young and live in the city, it’s a great place to make friends. - Your typical start-up benefits: Catered lunch, good snacks, cold brew and beer on tap, beautiful office, Apple products. Other cool perks such as tickets to events at MSG, monthly team events and weekly happy hours. Note: the lunch is part of your total compensation and they factor it into your salary. - Lots of employee engagement activities and opportunities to get involved with the community. - An overall really cool brand and mission with so many inspiring customers.

Cons

If you’re on a good team with a supportive manager led by a supportive exec leader, then Squarespace could be an awesome place to work at. If not, it can be incredibly toxic and mentally draining. - Bait and switch practices with candidates. The position I interviewed for and ultimately got was changed right before I officially accepted. The recruiter informed me that the Marketing department recently underwent a title restructure and although my title changed, level, pay, etc. did not. Come to find out this is not true. I’ve brought this to HR’s attention and unfortunately I’ve seen them continue to do this to candidates. - Equal work, unequal pay. I was paid $20K less than my coworker and we did the same work. I brought this to my new manager’s attention and HR and nothing was done about it. Instead, my new manager kept telling me she was going to do something about it and never did. I’ve heard similar stories from others on Marketing. - Marketing exec leadership and HR care about the company more than you. There was a very toxic team in Marketing last year. 3 people quit in 6 months because of 1 person. This was brought to the attention of Marketing exec leadership and 2 HR Business Partners and was very well documented. Exec leadership claimed the company didn’t want to get sued and couldn’t fire the toxic person. This isn’t true -- other teams at Squarespace have fired people. Rather, leadership and HR allowed this person to eventually quit on her own terms, while her teammates continued to endure her toxicity. - Lack of transparency with hiring decisions. I had 3 managers in 6 mons and they were interviewing for my 4th manager at the time I left the company. There was no support from HR or marketing exec leadership during the management transitions. Direct reports didn’t get the opportunity to interview the 3rd manager and didn’t know much about her prior to her start date. - Not a lot of opportunity for professional growth and development. I asked about switching teams and was told by HR that's not an option.

"Not a start up"

Former Employee - People Operations in New York, NY

I worked at Squarespace full-time for more than a year

Pros

The perks & benefits at Squarespace are some of the best you can get in the workforce. You also will have the luxury of working with very smart and driven people.

Cons

When I joined Squarespace, they were still a startup culture, but quickly things changed. The morale on the People Team was very draining and not the healthiest. People across the board were overworked and set up for failure due to the former director of talent acquisition.

Found 207 reviews