KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 268 of over 284 reviews

4.0
Squarespace Founder and CEO Anthony Casalena
Anthony Casalena
Pros
  • "Squarespace does care a lot about about it's employees and you get a lot of cool perks like catered lunch (this does come out of your salary, however(in 26 reviews)

• "Good Healthcare, 401K match, competitive pay, free lunch and snacks(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "They use old systems for customer operations that conflict with the mental health and efficiency of advisors(in 11 reviews)

• "I'm no longer in live chat, but(in 10 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Squarespace

Join the conversation on

Designers

1m

works at

Mini-Circuits

Hi Creatives! mp4 help! I'm trying to put an animation that is within a mockup on my portfolio site. Animation was created in Adobe XD then placed within a phone mockup in photoshop by using video timeline. Exported as "Render Video" and works perfectly fine when playing. My portfolio is on Squarespace, which doesn't support direct upload of mp4, I attempted to embed the javascript code, which doesn't look great. When adding an mp4 to a site what is the best way that you all have found?

11 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Squarespace and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Wow

Aug 31, 2021 - Team Lead
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team, loved working there

Cons

Too few snacks in general, More Snacks

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good place to work but more structure needed

Sep 13, 2021 - Media Strategist in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing PTO policy and benefits. You pay no healthcare premiums and people truly use their unlimited time off.

Cons

The marketing team is entirely too beholden to Creative, and this often leads to mis-alignment and non-successful marketing campaigns. The company is growing too large too fast and there needs to be more alignment across leveling, team functions and cross functional work.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Company in Growth-mode

Aug 10, 2021 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

So much room to make things better and establish long term process. If you are smart and solutions oriented with a positive attitude and a lack of ego, Squarespace is an ideal place to work. For me, it's a place I plan to stay for many years to come.

Cons

With being in growth mode and transforming into a mature company, a lot of things are being built, improved upon, or solved. That is par for the course but building and problem solving isn't for everyone. Some people seem to be stuck in identifying problems or gaps only without offering suggestions or solutions which isn't helpful.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee

What you expect out of a cushy unicorn, but with probably less pay

May 2, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

They treat engineers humanely with PTO, benefits, work culture.

Cons

The pay was underwhelming, the broader vision of the company was too risk-averse. For example, they'd release a feature they've been building for 3 years only to roll it back from bad feedback. The literal opposite of "move fast and break things." Slow release cycles, no deadlines (which was good for the employee but bad for the growth of the company), and most projects were superfluous, pointless optimizations whose value / engineering time and effort ratio were not high enough to be justified, though that's what I genuinely believe about most software being developed. I worked in the Commerce group, and it inevitably felt like fighting a losing, understaffed war against a massive, matured super-enemy known as Shopify. Another thing is, and I've read at least one other reviewer on here that had a similar experience, I felt incredibly lonely. I didn't connect with anyone in my team on a personal level, or at all in the company. There were groups of younger people who appeared to be friends, but I never felt an ounce of effort to be included. I spent 16 months essentially working by myself on siloed projects that affected no one externally, and nobody cared about in the company. It was really sisyphean. But maybe it's like this for most tech jobs, I wouldn't know, it was my first fulltime one.

6 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great growing company!

Aug 25, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee-focused company where you can grow and share your own ideas.

Cons

None I can think of.

6. 3.0

Kind teammates, Varied Managers

Aug 5, 2021 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Squarespace has a fundamental engineering culture of helping each other. Questions are never an imposition and folks are really dedicated to helping each other learn. Also Squarespace is one of the few bigger tech companies where our work doesn't feel actively evil? We don't track people all over the internet or suck them down misinformation rabbit holes. Work-Life Balance is actually encouraged. Even from upper management. People use their Unlimited PTO and if you don't your manager might reach out and encourage you to take a vacation. There's little to no crunch here. Everyone signs in around 10 and dips around 6 but you can shift your hours based on your personal prefs, child care needs, what have you. I haven't heard of anyone getting micromanaged in their work. As long as you get your work done and show up to meetings you can shape your time however you need to.

Cons

There are a few managers that have known reputations for undervaluing the accomplishments of their reports, low-balling their raises and refusing to promote folks even when their senior teammates believe the promotion is deserved. I've been fortunate enough not to have such a manager myself, but the employees of those managers are constantly trying to switch teams or quit. Despite that pattern, all of those managers have been at the company for several years. If you're considering joining SQSP, make sure you talk to the folks you'll be reporting to, both the Team Lead _and_ the Engineering Manager. There isn't much team switching here and folks tend to stay here longer than the usual 1.5 - 2 years, so if you like your manager they'll probably stick around. You could have a great work environment. But I wouldn't walk in with my eyes closed. Also Squarespace is a bit slower to update COVID guidance than other tech companies. We tend to follow what the FAANG companies are doing, but management will announce the changes several weeks afterwards. I've honestly started just making plans based on whatever policy a FAANG company announces in the news. Oh except anything that requires doling out funds to employees. Squarespace is _stingy_ in comparison to other companies when it comes to things like paying for a WFH setup or compensating for the expenses we didn't have before, like increased utilities and groceries. You can get things like a monitor or a desk chair, but they tend to be pretty low quality. Many of the folks I know ended up just shelling out for their own.

4 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Experience heavily depends on department

Sep 1, 2021 - Community Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Benefits -Lots of passionate people -Constantly growing and hiring -Emphasis on professional development

Cons

-Very poor communication between teams (no formal internal communication policy) causes confusion and bugs when product updates are released -Very little upward mobility -Unresponsive leadership team

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0

Great Place to work

Aug 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very employee focused. take a long view towards growth and getting ahead of the market

Cons

overly meeting heavy; can be slow to bring about change.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Aug 4, 2021 - Senior Designer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Atmosphere, Creative Work, Design First Company

Cons

PM run projects sometimes. Not as Design focused sometimes

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good company

Jul 8, 2021 - Engineering Lead in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Loved the people and work environment. Bosses were supportive.

Cons

Growing too fast and had some challenges amongst leadership articulating product direction.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 268 Reviews