Squarespace Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 14, 2020

3.6
Squarespace Founder and CEO Anthony Casalena
Anthony Casalena

"Take Glassdoor reviews with a grain of salt"

Current Employee - Customer Operations Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Squarespace full-time for less than a year

Pros

amazing community, generous paid time off, positive work environment, encouraged to leave work at the door, focus on personal development outside of work, ample community and team building activities, more free food than you could ever eat

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities at some locations.

Advice to Management

I started working at Squarespace last year, beforehand  I spent a long deep-dive of a night reading through the myriad of Glassdoor reviews about working as an advisor in Customer Operations. Needless to say I was *terrified* and extremely trepidatious about the job I had just accepted. After working at Squarespace for more than a few months and completing the lengthly training that ramps you up for the position I would encourage anyone else on here to take these reviews with a grain of salt. You are not chained to your desk while on chat, there are ample opportunities for bathroom and food breaks because you set and control your pace. Yes, there is a focus on statistics because that is a key factor of how performance is measured. However - this isn't drilled down our throats and is more of a constructive conversation between you and your lead rather than something that is held over your head as a means to berate you. Yes, in past this position has had it's short-comings but the fact that policies are constantly being tweaked and guidelines are revisited (for our benefit!) is a clear indicator that management is listening to complaints and wants to change things for the better. Yes, in some locations opportunities for growth might be scarce, but in my experience promotions aren't really handed to you on a silver platter and you have to be proactive about your future. Don't let these reviews scare you off - there are a lot of people out there who have never had a job and maybe weren't expecting to do work on their job, I think they had a bad time. I've held positions at quite a few places and Squarespace is by far one of the most comfortable and caring companies I've ever come across.

Squarespace2020-01-15

"Cust Ops Positions"

Former Employee - Customer Operations in New York, NY

I worked at Squarespace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, flex time off policy (but hard to get approved days if you are a 'advisor' which is their customer service rep), lunch provided, great office, some really fun co-workers and fun perks. If you come into the company in a non Customer Advisor role, it is like a whole new world. You will get a great opportunity to work with young, hungry individuals in a casual setting. It's innovative and exciting and challenging!

Cons

Customer Advisor- you are chained to your desk and asked to meet some hard metrics in live chat. You are placed on a 'team' and in most cases your direct manager will be someone who is poorly versed in the platform and has not actually interacted with a customer in years, making it frustrating to take advice from them. Good luck getting any holidays off! In this position the company really wants you to put your head dow, work you shifts, have no personal conflicts and never want to move up in the company. They demand loyalty and dangle the prospect of moving up internally in front of you (although that is very hard to do), but they are a growing company, so they make cuts quickly and with no mercy.

Squarespace2019-12-06
  3. "work-life balance + impact"

Current Employee - On the People Team in New York, NY

I have been working at Squarespace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Significant room for impact, great work-life balance, thoughtful leadership

Cons

nothing that isn't expected with a company growing into a truly mid-sized org.

Squarespace2019-12-05
  4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Squarespace full-time

Pros

- competitive benefits - Amazing people - Opportunities to develop - Great company culture - Opportunities to work cross functionally - Multiple avenues to give feedback

Cons

- Can become repetitive depending on the role - Can be competitive when it comes to promotion due to the high number of talented people we work with

Advice to Management

- Be vulnerable, admit mistakes and promote transparency - Lead by doing - Delegate

Squarespace2019-12-04

"Growing Pains & Corporate Vibes"

Former Employee - Customer Operations Advisor

I worked at Squarespace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunch, 25 days of PTO, 15 sick days, dog-friendly, beautiful office.

Cons

The cons will focus more on the Customer Operations department as opposed to the company overall: As an advisor, growth is very hard to come across and will be strongly dependent on your direct manager. It also depends on how you want to grow during your time there, if growth is just learning more facets of the company and how you can help customers in different channels as opposed to just email and live chat, that is perfect. There are many opportunities to participate in projects from other teams within the department (as they are vacated; new positions are not produced as quickly as they originally were). However, if you want to move up the ladder in the department, that is where it gets tricky and heavily dependent on who your manager is. They have this "career advancement" spreadsheet, but it was only brought up in my meetings, not really delved into to help facilitate my growth. For new advisors, be aware that PTO and shift times will be available after all the other advisors in the office have already selected their desired dates - you have the last pick in available dates. It's weighed on performance and tenure of the advisor.

Squarespace2019-11-03

"Worst culture I have ever seen"

I worked at Squarespace full-time

Pros

Nothing at all during my two years there

Cons

Toxic culture at every level from the top down. No accountability for managers. Promotions happen based on tenure and manager bias not performance. Not surprised to see so many people leaving this place every month.

Squarespace2019-11-01
  7. "Good Job, wrong department"

Former Employee - Customer

I worked at Squarespace full-time

Pros

Great office, Great caring coworker. You feel part of the team and almost everyone is very warm and welcoming.

Cons

what is shinny is not always gold.

Squarespace2019-10-24
  8. "Customer service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Squarespace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice colleagues, food no bad, good atmosphere

Cons

Working on weekends must be in a shorter shifts

Advice to Management

More staff rotation for weekends as per there is a lot of tickets

Squarespace2019-10-15

"Soft engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Squarespace full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free lunch and snacks provided Happy hours

Cons

No dinner available for the employee like Facebook

Squarespace2019-10-14

"Perfecting the art of gaslighting"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Squarespace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paychecks have always been on time

Cons

As a whole, there is a lack of attention to detail. If you ask for clarification on a task, you will not get it until you complete the task and then you will be told it was not was was asked for. Managers have no power to make any changes and are mostly super green with little if any experience.

Advice to Management

Takes some management classes. When managers don't have time to manage their employees, there is something horribly wrong going on. Set expectations so that employees know what to expect and what is expected of them. Reprimand problematic employees and don't reward them.

Squarespace2019-09-28