Squarespace "catered lunch" Reviews | Glassdoor

Squarespace Employee Reviews about "catered lunch"

Updated Feb 5, 2019

3.6
Squarespace CEO Anthony Casalena
Anthony Casalena
Pros
  • "Other benefits include free catered lunch and a great healthcare package(in 25 reviews)

• "Free lunch saves you so much money(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "No bonuses in Customer Care, Team Leads who manage the(in 10 reviews)

• "Customer Operations department is very metric based and hard to escape(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "catered lunch"

Return to all Reviews

"Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Squarespace full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Company is led by Anthony Casalena (Founder, CEO, 1st Engineer) -He is unwilling to compromise on quality of product -Makes his decisions always with Customer, Product & Technology in top-of-mind -Heavy emphasis on diversity recruiting and internal diversity groups & programs -Big investments in our new Learning & Development programs: like Speaker Series, leadership coaching and a wide variety of... skills / technology training! -Extremely healthy growth rate (headcount-wise and financially) -Great internal controls and steady maturation in policies and procedures -Free-catered lunch EVERYDAY + dog friendly office -Beautiful office + Roofdeck

Cons

-Elevator situation: As we are growing pretty rapidly in our NYC headquarters, I hope we start adding more elevators!

Squarespace2019-02-05
  2. "Great Benefits"

I have been working at Squarespace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free Catered lunches and snacks, free insurance, 401K matching, diverse employees and open atmosphere

Cons

long hours for certain teams

Squarespace2018-12-04
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Squarespace does nothing to keep good employees"

Former Employee - Customer Operations Expert in New York, NY

I worked at Squarespace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The snacks are high-quality, free, catered lunch is normally pretty good, the office is dog-friendly, and the office location is safe and easy to get to. Also, the benefits package is unreal. If you're young, single, and live close to the office, Squarespace is a great place to work.

Cons

In the time I spent there, it's inevitable to see people come and go. But year after year, I'd see our top talent get snatched up by other tech companies, sometimes in entry-level positions. Each time, I thought to myself "Why would X leave the company," or "Why would Squarespace let Y go?" Like the cool mom who lets their high school kid have a sip of their chardonnay, the message was drilled into us that we'd... learn career development skills, regardless of whether or not we stayed at Squarespace. But why wouldn't there be a focus on keeping great, trained people at a company growing at such a rate like Squarespace? Why wouldn't they want to groom leaders for their own benefit? Speaking of which, leadership resources are only available to what the company considers as "leaders," though that term was used interchangeably with "management." People in the lowest positions are expected to stay there, though they're told to find a niche and grow into it. Middle managers, including many who have been hired from outside the company, often have little to no experience with the Squarespace products and lean heavily on the teams that they manage for product support questions, which ends up in a mediocre experience for customers who get escalated for "better support." Related, career advancement is practically non-existent. Again, management positions are often filled by outside hires, and the teams within Customer Support are filled with senior employees. Rules change fast and often here. Don't get used to any policies that are written. "Team outings" generally take place once per quarter, outside of normal business hours, and they're often implied mandatory. This means that you're expected to want to go, and if you don't for any reason — like having a family or a long commute home — it's frowned upon.

Advice to Management

Put culture first. And not "Friday happy hours" or huge holiday parties... actual culture. Speak to your people. Ask how they're doing and mean it. If they're unhappy, bend over backwards to find a way to show them you're trying, even if you can't get them everything they want. By putting the people first, the product improves, the support improves, the overall end-user experience improves.

Squarespace2018-10-22

"A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Portland, OR

I have been working at Squarespace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Squarespace really is a great place to work and has been my favorite job I've had so far. The company truly cares about its employees, as evident by the work environment, how performance is tracked and measured, and the ridiculous benefits we enjoy. I constantly have to remind myself that having catered lunches, fridges stocked with various drinks, pantries filled with snacks, and a beautiful office is a routine... part of my workplace. While the perks of the job are nice, the best part of Squarespace is how comfortable working here is. You can bring your whole self to work Squarespace and never feel like it negatively affects you. They truly accept you for who you are and genuinely try to make this the best work experience they can. That being said, I think it is important that you investigate the role before you apply to better understand what you are getting yourself into. For example, I wouldn't recommending applying for a support role if you don't do well with monotonous work.

Cons

Squarespace is a growing company so change is frequent but it feels like the company is embracing the nature of this rather than try to resist it. I can see how many people would feel uncomfortable with so much ambiguity and if this is something you struggle with I'm not sure I'd recommend applying. I think an opportunity for Squarespace is improved recognition for the work their employees do. Due to how fast the... business (and industry) is changing, I feel like my day to day efforts and accomplishments are not fully recognized.

Advice to Management

Continue to embrace change and encourage employees to become comfortable with it. Recognize your employees and their accomplishments more often. Keep caring for your employees as much as you do, they notice.

Squarespace2018-09-05

"Don't believe what they tell you"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Squarespace full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great office location, close to all kinds of public transportation. Unbeatable view from the rooftop. The building staff is really nice and makes everyone feel welcome. Catered lunch every day, food is fairly decent. No shortage of snacks and drinks in the kitchens. There are some beginning efforts for building strong engineering forums.

Cons

- Squarespace Engineering is still struggling to figure out some of its key parts, which is a pretty big red flag considering the age of the company. Don’t expect anything said in the interview process to actually hold up once the job starts. Before taking the job, I was told by multiple people that Squarespace prided itself on having a flat career ladder without official titles. Coming from a similar... organization, I knew this worked for me. Less than a month after I started, they introduced a poorly-explained career ladder with an astounding number of tiers. Although the ladder was somehow tied to compensation, this was never explained. The team I was placed onto did not allow me to apply much of what I had worked on before, nor did it resemble the kinds of questions I had been asked in interviews. This was a surprise for me, as I expressed wanting to continue doing the same kind of work I had been doing to multiple people. It was also a far cry from what I felt had been sold to me by my recruiter. The benefit for Squarespace was that they could place me on an insultingly low tier on the career ladder that ignored my years of experience because the responsibilities of my team were new to me. The review schedule meant that it would take well over a year for me to possibly move up to a place on the ladder that would start to match where I had been at the job I just left. When I brought up my concerns with team placement, the best they could do was shrug their shoulders and say that they were new to having teams. That is a very tough pill to swallow for someone who left an entire life behind to move across the country to take a job. NYC snobbery is at its absolute worst at Squarespace. After living in cities for nearly a decade, I decided to start out in the suburbs when I moved for them. No matter who it was and whether it was their business or not, anyone who found this out reacted as if my choices were awful and that I didn’t belong with the rest of them. Ultimately, the gatekeeping has made me strongly reconsider whether the greater NYC area is the right place for me. Recruiting sold me on Squarespace having flexible work hours. What this really means is that most of engineering starts to roll in at 11:30 AM. I chose to work something closer than 8:30-5:15 so that I could still have hours left in the day when I got home. It was strongly implied by multiple people (again, whether or not it was their business) that I was having trouble adjusting to my team because our hours didn’t match. Nobody thought to address the real problem, which was that it’s impossible to schedule anything before 12pm without protest. The lack of discipline made it feel less like work and more like summer camp. The entire experience was one I was glad to rid myself by pursuing another opportunity as soon as I could. Be careful of what they tell you- it probably won’t come true.

Advice to Management

Work on your honesty with candidates.

Squarespace2018-03-29

"Cool place to work, but no room to grow."

Former Employee - Quality Control in New York, NY

I worked at Squarespace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Squarespace does care a lot about about it's employees and you get a lot of cool perks like catered lunch (this does come out of your salary, however.) Giveaways, cool people, awesome work space, etc.

Cons

I worked in Cust Ops, where there was essentially zero growth. Do not come into this department thinking you're going to eventually become a team lead, or move to another department. It's not going to happen. I was there for 3+ years and I probably saw less than 10 move to a different role out of hundreds of employees. Additionally, PTO days are not as flexible as you think. MANY Cust Ops employees get a cut off,... and it is extremely hard to get the days off you want. I have a feeling the flexible PTO policy is for everyone BUT Cust Ops.

Squarespace2018-03-26

"Amazing Experience"

Current Employee - Campus Recruiting Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Squarespace full-time for more than a year

Pros

- catered lunch every day - dog friendly office - Amazing people, friendly atmosphere - the benefits are incredible!

Cons

The environment can feel slightly clicky, but some teams do a better job than others at reaching outside of their comfort zone

Squarespace2018-01-08

"Toxic"

I have been working at Squarespace full-time

Pros

Catered lunches, somewhat of a cool office.

Cons

Everything Else, no growth opportunities, bad management who do not know how to manage.

Squarespace2017-11-01

"Past it's prime. No room for growth, terrible leadership. Not worth the bad pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Squarespace full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Free catered lunch every day. - Unlimited snacks in kitchen and bar has free drinks every day - People are terrific. If i could start a new company and hire everyone, I would. - Easy job (but it gets to be the same thing everyday) - I like the company values and connect with them, but it's hard to say if the company lives up to it.

Cons

Do not trust the People/HR team! They are gossippy and dont keep things confidential. I left because I went to them with an issue I had with my manager and they immediately turned and told my manager. The manager retaliated and made the environment toxic and I was forced to leave. Thanks for doing that. People can be very immature. The company is filled with whiney millennials who complain constantly about snack... selection. Doritos are not organic, get over it. Random promotions that dont make any sense. For example, the executives were all promoted before the July review cycle before everyone else. The rest of the people get 3% adjustments or less and the execs get crazy fancy titles and more money. Great for morale. This is a place that rewards engineers constantly and the engineers can do no wrong. In Cust Ops, people have no opportunity for career advancement and the pay is terrible. But if you're an engineer, you can be sexist and say & do whatever you want and you will never be fired. If you're an engineer, this is a great place to work. For everyone else, good luck.

Advice to Management

Your competitors are beating you. When was the last time you launched a product? How do you have all these so called amazing engineers and still not launch anything? It's embarrassing that wix and shopify are beating you. But no one wants to say anything because you dont want to upset the engineers who are doing the amazing work. This is for the executives. You are in your ivory towers and you don't even bother... learning the names of the people who are on the front lines working with customers every day. I never heard not once an executive say hi to me when i was passing by. Sets a a really bad tone for the company and made me not respect them.

Squarespace2017-07-14

"Overall not a bad place for an entry-level tech position"

Current Employee - Customer Operations in Portland, OR

I have been working at Squarespace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, friendly people and peers, typical tech company perks like catered lunch and stocked snacks. I feel that I'm genuinely considered as a human and my feelings are taken into account.

Cons

Trivial metrics that are constantly inaccurate or being re-calculated, one year comp review cycle, lack of communication and documentation on processes, lack of opportunity or growth as an Advisor.

Advice to Management

You try taking chats all day and see how it feels.

Squarespace2017-06-10