Squire Patton Boggs Reviews | Glassdoor

Squire Patton Boggs Reviews

Updated April 10, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Working for Squire Patton Boggs will help you decide where you don't want a career (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Might find it hard to maintain work life balance sometimes (in 6 reviews)

• Not sure how the new entity is now but have heard it is not as nice a place as Patton Boggs was (in 5 reviews)

1. "Neutral"

I worked at Squire Patton Boggs full-time

Pros

Easy going environment and good mix of lawyers

Cons

Lacks mentor ship and employee management

"Enjoyable people tough politics"

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Squire Patton Boggs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with
    High calibre employee
    Smaller offices friendly
    Management team approachable

Cons

Due to merger the politics are a nightmare between old PB and SS teams.
    Low bonus's
    Bad salary increases for support staff if any
    HQ dont understand cultural differences in other global offices

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, accept that support staff do an important job and comepnsate accordingly. Stay competitive in the market where your offices are based else you will loose out to similar firms in regards to qualified trained staff.

3. "working environment"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)

I worked at Squire Patton Boggs full-time

Pros

multicultural open working environment, chances for growth

Cons

not good if you are not familiar with multinational culture

4. "Excellent law firms with to clients"

Pros

Impressive client portfolio with great lawyers

Cons

limited human resspource capabilities and number of offices

Advice to Management

focus on ensuring growth of lawyers

5. "review"

Former Employee - Staff
    Former Employee - Staff

Pros

- Great professionals with strong admin staff to support them
    - Good career growth opportunities within the company, strong international brand globally

Cons

- Might find it hard to maintain work life balance sometimes
    - Could do with a more generous compensation and benefit package

Advice to Management

Hire more support staff to help out, but in general great management team, positive firm culture and positive experience

6. "Largish law firm"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at Squire Patton Boggs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, some interesting clients

Cons

Not on many useful corporate panels, spotty collaboration

Advice to Management

Secure better panel positions

7. "Great place to work"

Pros

Great atmosphere-everybody is helpful and nice.

Cons

Bureaucracy, no surprise given the size.

"Great place to work - from local office desks to our wider global network!"

I have been working at Squire Patton Boggs full-time

Pros

As a top 10 global law firm, SPB offer you opportunities to work with local clients, but also to be part of the wider network working on matters and deals that involve liaising with colleagues across the world. The work is interesting and informative, and meeting & listening to clients is something that you are encouraged to get involved with from day one. The legal & support teams are global, so people here know each other, not just in a 'home' office, but in the US, Asia Pac, ME & Europe. There is a great sense of corporate social responsibility, and you feel that you are part of a firm that not only has a significant history but is also forward thinking and looking to the future.

Cons

By its nature, global work means long hours, so more flexibility is a must in this day and age.

Advice to Management

You should be less conservative about who you are, what you are and how you want others to see your brand. There are a lot of positives to working at SPB, you should make sure that others know about them!

"A slow and steady place"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Squire Patton Boggs (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, particularly cross-border. Not an "up or out" kind of place. Layoffs and firings are uncommon, even for those who are short of official billable hour targets. Most offices are not that big so it's easy to get to know everyone. Most lawyers have great personalities. Shockingly non-elitist for a big law firm.

Cons

Partners tend to stay busy but work does not always "trickle down" to associates. The promotion track can be very slow. The firm is stingy in general. Compensation is generally just enough to lure people from lesser firms or in-house jobs, but worse than most peer firms. Administrative support is weak.

Advice to Management

Give a bit more attention to the bottom of the pyramid.

10. "Wonderful little place to start your career at."

Former Employee - Associate Solicitor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate Solicitor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Squire Patton Boggs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Squire Patton Boggs were the firm where I started my legal career and I am genuinely feeling touched and a little bit sad now that I'm moving to a different firm - it's been an amazing journey.

For a junior lawyer just getting to know the ropes, I don't believe there's a firm with more support, almost 'motherly' care from HR and genuine interest in one's wellbeing than at SPB.

The teams here in London handle international deals spanning across countries and often continents, and yet the whole place maintained its Northern English spirit of camaraderie. Despite the occasional late nights as a trainee solicitor, I always felt supported and was given ample time to recover if things got a bit hectic over a week or so - to think other big international firms would do something like that!

Plenty of interesting work and faces coming across the pond from D.C. and other offices made for an exciting time to be around, and now with the new office secondments being rolled out, it must be a great time to be joining in.

Despite moving to a large American firm from an already large American-HQed firm, I will always remember Hammonds/Squire Sanders Hammonds/Squire Sanders and now Squire Patton Boggs as a place where I learnt the trade first and made great friends out of my colleagues.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend this place to anyone.

Cons

There were long hours at times, which given the leverage ratio in some teams meant that the levels of work and responsibility were daunting for some of my colleague trainees.

The offices in London aren't as 'flashy' as our competitors', but they're certainly nice enough and the new kitchen refurbishments made a great difference.

Some of the recent shakeups, namely the recent graduate partner appointment, made some people wonder whether the firm was going the right way as we felt the candidate wasn't the most emphatic to do the job.

Brand recognition still lacks behind other firms even though it's a 44-office giant! We need to be more known, the firm's good for it!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with regards to your HR team and the excellent support staff.

Try to get the name out more, be more active on social media (FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.), market yourself more.