Squiz Reviews | Glassdoor

Squiz Reviews

Updated 26 Nov 2019

3.5
Squiz CEO John-Paul Syriatowicz (no image)
John-Paul Syriatowicz

"PHP Developer"

PHP Developer in Sydney

I worked at Squiz for more than 3 years

Pros

Senior management are top notch and really care about the company. This flows down to most employees with pretty good attitudes throughout the organisation. They have many offices scattered around the place so chance to work with people form different locations.

Cons

The work seems to be a little old school and behind the times. Working on large government and enterprise software can be more about meetings than solving interesting problems.

Advice to Management

The company needs to look around the industry a bit more to keep up with trends.

Squiz2017-04-22

"Nice people, and recent management changes are making a big difference. Great experience so far."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Squiz full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great bunch of friendly and enthusiastic people. A senior management team that has recognised previous issues, has made important changes, and is conscious of the need to listen and act on feedback. Opportunity to learn from some pretty talented people that are happy to share their experiences.

Cons

None. Feels like a 'managerial emergence' of sorts is happening making it a positive place to work.

Advice to Management

Previous management issues caused real issues with the UK business in particular. However the changes you've made over the past 6 months have made a huge difference. Keep this on track and don't get complacent.

Squiz2017-03-20

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Squiz full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Amazing team. It's no secret that not so long ago there was a high turnover of staff. Although this was tough, we are left with a great team of people who are all invested in the success of the business. - Good career progression with opportunities to try different things that aren't strictly 'your job'. - The senior management has changed for the better. The business was very upfront about the problems in... the office and have been transparent as to how we are going to go about fixing them. - The London office particularly is moving towards providing very innovative solutions that we can all feel proud of. - The new MD has brought with him tons of great industry experience which was lacking in senior management before. - Flexi-time is an awesome benefit that i can't imagine not having now. - Great office culture with genuine friendships. I look forward to coming into work everyday.

Cons

- Sometimes you still feel the hangover of the bad management and bad implementations that were done before many of the current staff even worked here. It's going to take a long time to fix these problems. - The positive culture changes are usually felt in the more commercial side of the business (sales, marketing, account management), before trickling down to the technical teams. - Many of the poor... management choices that negatively affected the UK for quite some time where driven by head office in Australia. Because of this there is a lack of trust for this key part of the business that will take time to rebuild.

Advice to Management

Global management - Leverage the amazing team you have in London if you want to improve the global company. Invest in your internal tools if you want to empower your staff to achieve the ambitious goals you have set for them. London management - keep up the good work but don't become complacent, there is still a long way to go.

Squiz2017-03-24
  4. "Fantastic people, poor pay"

I have been working at Squiz full-time

Pros

Fantastic fun group of people to work with that make everyone happy to come to work. There are a lot of people working hard to make the company better.

Cons

Pay is the worst part of this job. A lot of people are paid below industry standard and it is proving hard to keep intelligent capable people in their positions.

Advice to Management

Work out the pay situation before more staff move on. Skilling people up on Matrix implementation is not an easy investment to make!

Squiz2017-04-18

"Run"

I have been working at Squiz

Pros

An amazing group of peers

Cons

Senior management only in it for the buck

Squiz2017-04-14

"Squiz - Great place to work"

in Brisbane

I have been working at Squiz for more than a year

Pros

Management allow a lot of flexibility to those that demonstrate that they deliver outcomes and meet deadlines. Flexibility like working from home/part-time hours/compressed hours etc are an industry standard which Squiz embrace. For some staff clearer deliverables need to be provided whether they are working from home or in the office. Very social, friendly and supportive.

Cons

Pay increments could be a little better.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job - keep it up.

Squiz2017-02-09

"The most mismanaged company in the UK"

Applications Support Engineer in London, England

I worked at Squiz

Pros

There are some decent people there. Such that even after leaving I still spend time with them.

Cons

So many it's hard to keep track of them all!! But I'll try to list them out. * Heavily understaffed on the technical side, while account managers, and project managers abound (and most of them exceptionally terrible at it) * No room to move up AT ALL. You will be promised that you'll move on "once there are more people." There will never be more people. * Horrible pay. Like 1/3rd the going average for the... position. * Backwards tech that is stuck in the past. * Only way to move up is to be best friends with management * No future planning. Every action is reactive instead of proactive (I've seen projects be a year overdue that weren't completed in my entire year and a half there). * Job title doesn't reflect actual job. You will be called support even though you are doing Sys Admin work. * Ridiculous amount of alcohol consumption. It's not normal for most of the company to go out 3-5 nights a week and get absolutely hammered.

Advice to Management

Seriously replace all of management. Focus on hiring talented employees and actually paying them. You are haemorrhaging money because your current staff is terrible. Even if you're losing money now, if you pay your staff well and treat them well, they will do so much better for you.

Squiz2017-03-10

"Best company I've ever worked for"

I have been working at Squiz full-time

Pros

Squiz is full of genuine smart people who really care about what they do. That makes it a great place to be.

Cons

Nowhere is perfect and I reckon the negatives are trivial compared to the positives. I understand each office has slightly different dynamics so maybe things are different elsewhere.

Advice to Management

You're doing a good job attracting great people. The HR team are brilliant. It'd be nice if we could do a few more things that brought people from different offices together.

Squiz2017-01-13
  9. "Great small company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Squiz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is very motivating to work at Insightful. The leaders are passionate and have a mission I believe in. The technology is interesting also.

Cons

At times, almost too passionate leadership. Sometimes you need to walk before you run. Also quite frugal... Which isn't so helpful at times.

Advice to Management

I think you're doing a great job at bringing people together and unifying them into a common purpose. Keep up the good work!

Squiz2017-01-17

"Almost like Google"

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Specialist in Sydney

I have been working at Squiz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pretty good interview process. Free coffee cup. Laptop on first day. Induction was great.

Cons

Everything after induction. The projects are badly quoted, staffed, and delivered. The sales people are the worst. So many deals I've watched them poison through slackness or lack of attention to detail. We promise innovation but deliver stagnant cookie cutter BS. Our tech is poop. Our offerings are stale. Our UX people are up themselves, and not that talented compared to those that left already. Funnel back was... cool, then we bought it.

Advice to Management

Realise why people leave. Turnover like ours is not healthy, and this destructive cult-like 'Squiz DNA' thing has to stop. Or not. The good will leave not matter what, but leadership expects quantity, and not quality (otherwise they'd sell a competitors CMS)

Squiz2017-01-27