St. Aloysius Orphanage Reviews | Glassdoor

Joan Tumblison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Awesome"

I have been working at St. Aloysius Orphanage full-time

Pros

This is an awesome place to work and is a great place for children who have anger issues or other mental health issues.

Cons

The health insurance benefits could be better and they could offer more inclusive benefits. The PTO is generous how it's earned but could offer more to bank.

Advice to Management

You could offer more benefits as far as better health benefits and better prescription coverage. It's a fantastic place to work though.

2. "Social Worker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at St. Aloysius Orphanage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are awesome to work with and are always helpful. Working with the clients can be challenging but is rewarding. No after hours or holiday work.

Cons

Stressful work environment and little support from upper management. The benefits are seriously lacking and the pay is not great.

Advice to Management

Show more support to the employees.

3. "TFM COnsultant"

Former Employee - TFM Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - TFM Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at St. Aloysius Orphanage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees that work with the children are very supportive of one another. There are a few employees in upper supervisory roles that are team players as well. There are some people who work there who really support the mission of the agency and work to keep it going.

Cons

The administration was not the most supportive of all employees within the agency. The pay was not that great either.

Advice to Management

Please support your staff and focus on the children as well your mission statement which is why a lot of people have been there and stay there to make the agency better.

4. "Great Supervisor, but really high turnover rate."

Former Employee - School Based Therapist in Hamilton, OH
    Former Employee - School Based Therapist in Hamilton, OH

I worked at St. Aloysius Orphanage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great direct management, supervision extremely helpful with difficult cases, 10 month position so off when the kids were out of school (summers, winter break, Thanksgiving, Spring Break, etc.) friendly co workers, CEU's provided by agency, monthly Happy Hours for team building!

Cons

Pay extremely poor -- If I didn't have a second income through my husband the salary would not be adequate, mentally draining due to population working with, difficult to meet productivity in the school setting, due to parents not following through constantly, kids being suspended or sick, school assemblies, school testing, snow days, etc. High turnover rate. Lots of programs closing lately. Almost seems like it isn't a sustainable program.

Advice to Management

My direct supervisor/manager was amazing! As far as other management, I didn't have too much contact with many others. Communication between departments could most definitely improve. That would be something that needs to continue to be addressed.

5. "Serious Problems"

I worked at St. Aloysius Orphanage full-time

Pros

School Personnel were for the most part dedicated and invested. PH at one time was excellent but lost many of their best workers.

Cons

Over the years since St. Aloysius was privatized programs have seriously deteriorated with a mass exodus of the most talented staff members. This has been the direct result of a very callous and insensitive administration, deaf to feedback about the multiple problems encountered by the online staff. The administration made it painfully clear that any negative
    feedback has to be shut off

Advice to Management

In my opinion a total overhaul of administration is needed. This should have been undertaken by the board a long time ago.

6. "Crisis Consulting"

I have been working at St. Aloysius Orphanage part-time

Pros

Great student job. Lots of down time to study.
    Everyone in this department gets along well.

Cons

Don't see many people during the day.
    Can get boring.
    Upper management do not care about this program.

Advice to Management

Throw us a bone and find out what we do. The fact that most people in the company I have met don't know that we exist is frusturating.

7. "Child mental health"

Pros

Mission and vision for children and families

Cons

Intense mental and emotional work

"Treat employees horrible."

Former Employee - Teacher in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Teacher in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at St. Aloysius Orphanage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I took a job there because I wanted to make a difference with kids. You can really impact the clients here if you can stay positive.

Cons

There were cliques of people that left me and a few other teachers out of the loop. They were so immature, gossiping and trying to cause problems. Very unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Do what you can to keep the educated staff members and get rid of the unprofessional characters who are running St. Als into the ground. St. Als has a very bad reputation among area schools because of this.

"Shallow"

Current Employee - Therapist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Therapist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at St. Aloysius Orphanage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are employees that work directly with clients wo are very dedicated to their work. They truly care about the children they serve and work like "they don't need the money."

Cons

Upper management does not recognize the efforts hard-working employees. They will not listen to concerns of the front line staff. We have lost many extremely talented people in the agency because they have not been allowed to contribute to program mnagement. Good teachers and therapists do not stay where they ar stifled.

Advice to Management

Do what you can to preserve the dedicated staff members you have. Stop "running them off" or letting them go so easily. The staff is not honest with the management team because they will be fired if they are truthful. This is a real problem at St. Al's. Whistle-blowers ar silenced and removed, instead of supported. I am seeking employment elsewhere because of this.

"If you stand for something, [like what's right] don't work here."

Current Employee - Licensed Professional Counselor
    Current Employee - Licensed Professional Counselor

Pros

The best things about working here are the people you get to work with and the families you get to help and encourage.

Cons

In order to survive here you need to be a "yes" man/woman.

Advice to Management

If you don't really want change, don't ask for suggestions.