St Charles Health Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
St Charles Health Systems President and CEO Joseph Sluka
Joseph Sluka

1. "St Charles Medical Center"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OR

I worked at St Charles Health Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

great training options. Skilled employees. Compassionate care. Many shift options.

Cons

none that I can think of

2. "rn"

Current Employee - ICU RN in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - ICU RN in Bend, OR

Pros

good pay and good people

Cons

Terrible Management. Seems like they would be happier without nurses

"Values Changed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR

I worked at St Charles Health Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

OK benefits, $ ok in dept I worked. Worked with some awesome people. Many very dedicated Nurses and other healthcare professionals. However, employees that should have been retained who where excellent at what they did (your losing) time to wake up and smell the coffee

Cons

Values have changed, They are losing long term employees who have a lot to lose due to longevity there, but still leave as I did.
    NO ONE should be in management that knows nothing about Healthcare or how a hospital truly works. I got so fed up explaining everything I did to a Supervisor who knew nothing of healthcare but (because I have a 4 yr degree it qualifies me 4 everything in HR eyes). I'm telling you all to do it this way.....which time and time again was proven wrong.
    The job descriptions show where the company is at 1: red flag ---they go on and on about how great it is to live in Central Oregon 2. red flag---turn your co-worker in and help us prosecute if you see policies being broken REALLY , well lets not try to correct it by pointing it out to caregiver that it might be a no no. Big on Team Team Team...the previous discounts it all to me.
    I quit, had a lot to lose but stressful environment and way to heavy work load finally made my mind up. The good ratings you will see come from employees who have not worked long at St Charles and have no idea what an awesome place it once was. People Centered Teams values went out the door a long time ago. If you have a problem with someone take it up with them first and try to rectify the situation......Now its "turn them in"

Advice to Management

Take a look at People Centered Teams and what the value system "USE" to be. St Charles was awesome then. Stop going along with the corporate crowd, Happy people work twice as hard for a company they believe in. Having people turn one another in is counter productive and certainly does not build a team. Management is scared of losing there own jobs and pushing people to the brink of leaving in many instances.

5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Building Speci in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - Building Speci in Bend, OR

I have been working at St Charles Health Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture. Great management in most areas of the hospital.

Cons

They don't pay very well at Medical Facilities in Bend OR.

Advice to Management

Pay more, keep more staff, less turnover.

6. "Great People"

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Bend, OR

I worked at St Charles Health Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to work with a lot of great Technologies and really great People. Management is solid as well.

Cons

I would have liked to see the Salaries more in line with other Cities in Oregon. They are still a little lower.

"Review"

Current Employee - Buyer in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - Buyer in Bend, OR

I have been working at St Charles Health Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Central Oregon is a wonderful place to live! Tons of goings on downtown every weekend in the summer. Schedule of 7 - 3:30 is great.

Cons

Process takes precedence. With a salary position overtime is an expectation. Current organizational changes make for a highly stressful work environment.

"Fun place"

Former Employee - Ekg Technician in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Ekg Technician in Bend, OR

Pros

Food discounts, ETO, sick leave, great insurance

Cons

Little room for advancement unless staying in area for a long time.

"Amazing place to work!"

Former Employee - Critical Care RN in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Critical Care RN in Bend, OR

I worked at St Charles Health Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They treat their nurses wonderfully, at least I can speak from working in the intensive care unit and intermediate care unit here. Very flexible and accommodating with schedules and education. There is a real team work environment and everyone is very respectful of each other. Even the physicians treat the nurses very well. Patient ratios are excellent as well, especially compared to the East Coast, depending on the acuities.

Cons

I have worked here on and off since 2007 and can truly think of no cons.

Advice to Management

N/A

"CNA -2 Ortho/Neuro Unit"

Former Employee - CNA II in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - CNA II in Bend, OR

I worked at St Charles Health Systems full-time

Pros

Progressive, TT aromatherapy,pet therapy,guided imagery
    Along with Surgical and Medical interventions. World renowned Physicians
    Great Team Work on Ortho/Neuro Unit.Learn

Cons

Tool away our chair massages.

Advice to Management

Learn from your experience with your previous ma nager,what you liked/didn't like.Listen to your team of caregivers,vue their opinions.

"Fighting through all the politics takes 50% of everyones energy"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Bend, OR

I have been working at St Charles Health Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fair pay decent benefits. A lot of room (too much really) for upward mobility There are MANY nice people!

Cons

WAY, WAY too much politics!!!! CYA is a constant battle. The culture is "keep everybody in check so they don't make mistakes rather than equip them so there's fewer chances of mistakes. A huge waste of human potential lost to CYA and politics. 50% of our time (at a minimum) lost, that could be for the better of all.

Advice to Management

Get a real CEO with vision, who can fix this wicked culture. A person who has actually operated a hospital in successful fashion. Keep and leave bean counters in accounting, not in management that requires conceptual, revolutionary and swift change. What is the goal here? What is the 5 year plan? What does the governing board expect from the CEO and when?