St. James's Place Wealth Management "sjp" Reviews | Glassdoor

St. James's Place Wealth Management Employee Reviews about "sjp"

Updated Dec 7, 2019

4.0
St. James's Place Wealth Management Chief Executive Andrew Croft
Andrew Croft
Pros
  • "Furthermore, for the short duration of my time at SJP the work life balance was great(in 10 reviews)

• "One thing I was particularly impressed by was the company's emphasis on a work-life balance(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of governance around 3rd parties who walk all over SJP(in 10 reviews)

• "Outdated IT system in head office(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "sjp"

Return to all Reviews

"A great workplace environment"

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management

Pros

SJP is the kind of company that you love going to work because the workplace environment is amazing. Co-workers are friendly and very helpful. At SJP everyone definitely works very hard and everyone is committed to there business and their clientele, however, the company culture is very friendly and approachable

Cons

While people are friendly and approachable you have to be the first mover. Once you integrate yourself into the social dynamics it is very open, but at first it can be a challenge. It would have been better is management pushed a little harder and guided you a little more.

St. James's Place Wealth Management2013-10-02

"Old Fashioned Culture"

Former Employee - Paraplanner in London, England

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is very technical support provided and training workshops and exam materials are very good. The people are generally helpful and nice. Work/life balance was good. Can provide a good entry point to the financial services industry.

Cons

This is a very old fashioned company with an outdated culture. The advisers are essentially salesmen and receive a commission for products sold,(advisers have selected products for clients based on the commission they will receive) The knowledge of some advisers was worryingly poor. Advisers manipulate performance shown to clients. Many advisers are grossly overpaid. Many advisers are unprofessional. Service/product sold to clients were often not in the client's best interest, better options for the client outside of SJP. There is no human resources or regulation of adviser's activities on a day to day basis. The adviser is free to do what they want and treat their employees as they like. There is no disciplinary procedure as advisers are self-employed. Internal IT systems are poor. Teamwork between practices is discouraged. Pay is generally under market rate Progression is limited for those not wanting to be advisers Non-advisers have to pay to attend training that is free for advisers.

St. James's Place Wealth Management2019-12-07
  3. "Great place to work"

Former Intern - Intern in London, England

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management for less than a year

Pros

Welcoming and open culture where the desire to improve the individual is at the fore. Moreover, everyone always has the time for you no matter where they sit within the company. In addition to this, the employees are driven and inspiring. Furthermore, for the short duration of my time at SJP the work life balance was great. Also, there is a great sense of interconnectedness of the business where many departments are interdependent. This is good as I was exposed to many different people and areas of SJP.

Cons

The location of the head office.

St. James's Place Wealth Management2019-09-17
  4. "A fast-growing and driven company with a brilliant work culture"

Former Intern - Summer Intern

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management for less than a year

Pros

I spent 8 weeks as a summer intern with SJP and was very impressed with its work culture and the approachability of everyone there. The team I worked with was very friendly and welcoming, and each member of the team was happy to spend some time explaining their areas of expertise and talking to me about my personal development. One thing I was particularly impressed by was the company's emphasis on a work-life balance. A lot of the team members I talked to said that SJP cared about its employees and I even attended a workshop that talked about the importance of maintaining a work-life balance, which was very insightful. The internship was very well-structured and I was given lots of interesting work that taught me much about financial markets and the wealth management industry. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at SJP and have learnt many valuable lessons from my time there. I look forward to applying them throughout the rest of my degree and the start of my career. In summary, I would definitely recommend SJP to anyone that is considering working there, as it is a fast-growing business with lots of opportunities for personal growth and development.

Cons

Perhaps there could have been more intern social events at the beginning at the programme.

St. James's Place Wealth Management2019-09-01
  5. "Fell out of love with the place"

Former Employee - Dogsbody

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Charity arm is good, allow flexible working if you ask.

Cons

Poor work life balance, red tape and outsource too many functions. Lack of governance around 3rd parties who walk all over SJP. Little to no career progression after a certain level. Poor pay compared to other companies

St. James's Place Wealth Management2019-09-12

St. James's Place Wealth Management Response

October 18, 2019Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your review, I appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback as a former employee and welcome all of your comments. One thing to respond to is that our flexible working policy is certainly having a positive impact on work/life balance.

Continue reading

"Fantastic at getting you through the door, terrible when you're in."

Former Employee - Partner in Manchester, England

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time

Pros

Training workshops are brilliant. Systems and processes are good and the business has a fairly good reputation in the market place. SJP certainly looks and feels the part.

Cons

Before you're in, you're promised that SJP is everything you could hope for with endless support, good earnings potential and innovative thinking. When you're in, you're just another number, barely contacted by your so called manager and you have no idea whether what you're doing is right or wrong. If you read other partner reviews, most elude to broken promises. Support is very much aimed at the people who have been in SJP for long periods and have larger clients banks (who don't want the support) and new people are ignored and told to 'sponsor bowls clubs'. Really underwhelming .

St. James's Place Wealth Management2019-08-23
  7. "Going firm with promoting opportunities"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at St. James's Place Wealth Management for more than a year

Pros

Inclusive culture, SJP foundation, hours and location

Cons

Turnaround time in processes too long

St. James's Place Wealth Management2019-04-17
  8. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

SJP has a great culture, and a knack of recruiting great talent - which means working there is a positive experience.

Cons

Parking can be a nightmare, but is being reviewed.

St. James's Place Wealth Management2019-03-14
  9. "Family feel culture but hierarchal management"

I have been working at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time

Pros

The charitable foundation really is at the core for a lot of employees. Lots of people join SJP through family members or friends which creates a family feel within the company.

Cons

Although they’re trying to address gender pay gap and balancing of senior roles, it is undoubtedly a “boys will be boys” senior management culture. Remuneration review and promotions committee process is beyond bizarre. Some patronising / patriarchal characters around.

St. James's Place Wealth Management2019-02-06
  10. "Exceptional company to build a WM practice with"

Former Employee - Associate Partner in Shanghai, Shanghai

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* The proposition really works for clients, and solves a lot of problems your competitors cant. Happy clients means long-term clients, which is great for everyone. * Real wealth management solutions, not "investment sales". Exceptional technical support and development. This means you can take the role as a consultant, and be far more valuable to clients than many of your competitors. * A business model, that works for clients, you and the company, in terms of renumeration and other aspects. * Support to get off the ground, so that you can focus on opening quality relationships, not closing deals. * All the usual perks of running your own business, in terms of freedom, flexibility and income * I was able to do a Business Sale and Purchase when I wanted to leave Asia for personal reasons. This was a massive benefit for me, and also worked for clients and the colleague that took over. They have the succession model figured out for everyone, and that is very important in this business. Overall, coming from the typical "offshore advisory" firm, the kind of which you have an endless array of in Asia, moving to SJP was a transformative upgrade, and I couldn't be happier with how it all worked out, in every single way. It is by far the best job decision I ever made.

Cons

* SJP Asia is new vs SJP UK, and as an Asia Partner you find yourself wishing that we had as developed of a proposition as in the UK. * When you work for SJP, you get how massively different the company is from much of the competition. However, prospective clients might not know this until they sit down with both.

St. James's Place Wealth Management2018-09-19