St. James's Place Wealth Management "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

St. James's Place Wealth Management Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Feb 23, 2020

4.0
St. James's Place Wealth Management Chief Executive Andrew Croft
Andrew Croft
Pros
  • "Furthermore, for the short duration of my time at SJP the work life balance was great(in 10 reviews)

• "One thing I was particularly impressed by was the company's emphasis on a work-life balance(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of governance around 3rd parties who walk all over SJP(in 10 reviews)

• "Outdated IT system in head office(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Nice company with talented teams and collaborative culture."

Former Intern - Analyst in London, England

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management for less than a year

Pros

Small friendly teams with relaxed work style and good work/life balance.

Cons

A slower pace of work and some bad press.

St. James's Place Wealth Management2020-02-23

"Old Fashioned Culture"

Former Employee - Paraplanner in London, England

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is very technical support provided and training workshops and exam materials are very good. The people are generally helpful and nice. Work/life balance was good. Can provide a good entry point to the financial services industry.

Cons

This is a very old fashioned company with an outdated culture. The advisers are essentially salesmen and receive a commission for products sold,(advisers have selected products for clients based on the commission they will receive) The knowledge of some advisers was worryingly poor. Advisers manipulate performance shown to clients. Many advisers are grossly overpaid. Many advisers are unprofessional. Service/product sold to clients were often not in the client's best interest, better options for the client outside of SJP. There is no human resources or regulation of adviser's activities on a day to day basis. The adviser is free to do what they want and treat their employees as they like. There is no disciplinary procedure as advisers are self-employed. Internal IT systems are poor. Teamwork between practices is discouraged. Pay is generally under market rate Progression is limited for those not wanting to be advisers Non-advisers have to pay to attend training that is free for advisers.

St. James's Place Wealth Management2019-12-07
  3. "Great place to work"

Former Intern - Intern in London, England

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management for less than a year

Pros

Welcoming and open culture where the desire to improve the individual is at the fore. Moreover, everyone always has the time for you no matter where they sit within the company. In addition to this, the employees are driven and inspiring. Furthermore, for the short duration of my time at SJP the work life balance was great. Also, there is a great sense of interconnectedness of the business where many departments are interdependent. This is good as I was exposed to many different people and areas of SJP.

Cons

The location of the head office.

St. James's Place Wealth Management2019-09-17
  4. "Good work environment"

I have been working at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time

Pros

Good Benefits package for company.

Cons

Long work hours and poor work life balance.

St. James's Place Wealth Management2019-09-13
  5. "A fast-growing and driven company with a brilliant work culture"

Former Intern - Summer Intern

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management for less than a year

Pros

I spent 8 weeks as a summer intern with SJP and was very impressed with its work culture and the approachability of everyone there. The team I worked with was very friendly and welcoming, and each member of the team was happy to spend some time explaining their areas of expertise and talking to me about my personal development. One thing I was particularly impressed by was the company's emphasis on a work-life balance. A lot of the team members I talked to said that SJP cared about its employees and I even attended a workshop that talked about the importance of maintaining a work-life balance, which was very insightful. The internship was very well-structured and I was given lots of interesting work that taught me much about financial markets and the wealth management industry. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at SJP and have learnt many valuable lessons from my time there. I look forward to applying them throughout the rest of my degree and the start of my career. In summary, I would definitely recommend SJP to anyone that is considering working there, as it is a fast-growing business with lots of opportunities for personal growth and development.

Cons

Perhaps there could have been more intern social events at the beginning at the programme.

St. James's Place Wealth Management2019-09-01
  6. "Fell out of love with the place"

Former Employee - Dogsbody

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Charity arm is good, allow flexible working if you ask.

Cons

Poor work life balance, red tape and outsource too many functions. Lack of governance around 3rd parties who walk all over SJP. Little to no career progression after a certain level. Poor pay compared to other companies

St. James's Place Wealth Management2019-09-12

St. James's Place Wealth Management Response

October 18, 2019Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your review, I appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback as a former employee and welcome all of your comments. One thing to respond to is that our flexible working policy is certainly having a positive impact on work/life balance.

Continue reading
  7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Operations in Cirencester, England

I have been working at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with, everyone is very friendly. Pretty open to new ideas and new ways of working. Work/life balance is good.

Cons

Parking isn't great. Some of the internal systems are a bit old. Seem to outsource a lot of services that could be done in house; having more control and saving money.

St. James's Place Wealth Management2019-06-28

St. James's Place Wealth Management Response

July 4, 2019Recruitment Operations

Thank you for a great review!

Continue reading
  8. "St James Place Interview"

I have been working at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance and office atmosphere Charitable focus

Cons

Outdated IT system in head office

St. James's Place Wealth Management2019-04-12
  9. "Solid business"

Former Intern - Intern

I worked at St. James's Place Wealth Management for less than a year

Pros

Friendly colleges and good work/life balance

Cons

Don't have anything to add

St. James's Place Wealth Management2019-04-15

"Great environment for advisers, not for their support staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at St. James's Place Wealth Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Huge potential upside for financial advisers within the group, with high earnings potential and complete control over your work/life balance

Cons

Very poor benefits (little/no pension, no health cover, poor remuneration) for support staff and trainees within the advisory Practices which are run as small businesses and rarely see the benefits of investing in their staff. There is little governance from the corporate Group to ensure support staff receive fair benefits, as such many remain underpaid.

St. James's Place Wealth Management2017-05-26