St. Joe Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
St. Joe Chairman Bruce R. Berkowitz
Bruce R. Berkowitz
1 Rating

1. "Good Company, Nice People"

I worked at St. Joe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management constantly changing. They do not have a clear game plan. A Board of Directors that employees don't see or meet calls the shots and they don't know average employees.

Cons

Top Management makes very good money. Regular employees do not. There is very little room for advancement and almost no chance of raises

Advice to Management

Act as a Team. Have a clear game plan for the future so employees aren't in limbo as to what they need to be doing.

2. "Ok benefits"

I worked at St. Joe (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, thought ful work atmosphere. Fair level of pay commensurate with experience. Lots of locations to choose from.

Cons

Benefits are not good. Very little choice and not much coverage is available. Very lackluster benefit options.

Advice to Management

Better benefits are needed.

"Glass ceiling for women"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at St. Joe (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits but low pay scales

Cons

Always ready to be laid off. Very stressful environment. Hard for women to move up.

Advice to Management

Take the threat of lay-offs off the table. Look more closely at how women can improve the management

5. "Great Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Manager in Santa Rosa Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Santa Rosa Beach, FL

I worked at St. Joe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, beautiful job setting.

Cons

Management personnel are always changing. No consistency.

Advice to Management

Manage and coach your people.

"Great Place to Work...Before the Downturn"

I worked at St. Joe full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Before 2005, St. Joe was a great place to work. My imput on things that involved the sales department was always considered. The employees were great from the CEO to the cleaning staff, which fostered a wonderful corporate culture. The salary and benefits were above industry standards and upper management gave clear direction without micro-managing.

Cons

Post 2004, things became very tense. There were several downsizing events that were hugely damaging to morale. There was no job security and management was not trusted.

In the past 3 years there has been a hugh shakeup with the company. Upper management and most of the board of directors has changed.

Advice to Management

I would advise the new executive managers to keep customer satisfaction and employee morale a driving factor in policy decisions.

"All for show...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

Pros

When I started with St. Joe they were one of the top employers in the nation. Great 401k, pension, health, time off. Stock values where high, money was plentiful for projects. The feel of a perfect little communitiy was ever present.

Cons

Stock value dropped, hostile takeovers in upper management, the Disney inspired ruse was soon shattered by lack of capital. The housing market burst and it was over... I saw talented employees released without a second thought, it was everyone for themselves in the end.

Advice to Management

If you own 3% of a State (estimated holdings of St. Joe), that does not mean you control the market. I was but a low person on the Joe "food chain", yet I knew going in that a couple barely making 75K a year should not be in a 500k home. Advice to Management? Stop thinking you control the market and believing you own BS. If someone had been paying attention to the market and not what Joe perported the market to be I would imagine the company would be in much better shape.