St. Johns County Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 11, 2017

3.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Challenging but rewarding career"

Former Employee - Dependency Case Manager in Saint Augustine, FL
    Former Employee - Dependency Case Manager in Saint Augustine, FL

I worked at St. Johns County full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping children and families in cultivating a safe and stable home environment, comprehensive benefits are fantastic, flexible schedule, great experience gained in cultivating community and legal partnerships

Cons

Long hours, large caseloads when other caseworkers quit, families often end up back in the system because a lot of judicial requirements are bandaids at best

Advice to Management

I️ had a very solid management team. If they remain supportive of there staff and don’t play favorites, agency will continue to move forward positively.

2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at St. Johns County full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are superior, and your job is secure as long as you do it properly. Training is available for all types of situations.

Cons

It can take a while to get hired on. Sometimes you have to work with lazy or unmotivated people that only want to "get by" with the minimum. Don't let them sidetrack you.

Advice to Management

Do quarterly performance reviews instead of yearly, this will keep the supervisors more in tune with their employees.

3. "Seasonal Marine Rescue Lifeguard; an awesome summer job"

I worked at St. Johns County full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You become part of a great team, get paid pretty well, get to be at the beach all day, you don't have to pay for your training or uniform, learn some important life-saving skills, there is a pay incentive if you are an EMT

Cons

The only downside is that this is not an all-year job; also for being temporary there are no benefits

Advice to Management

you are already doing well; I can't think of any recommendations for changes. Maybe have some options open for job positions after the season

4. "COULD be a great place to work.............."

Current Employee - Firefighter/Paramedic
    Current Employee - Firefighter/Paramedic

Pros

Awesome job. Awesome people doing the best they can under less than ideal circumstances. Good county benefits. Department is growing. Adding a new station here and there. Getting ready to replace some really crappy older ones. Good equipment. Good leadership from the BC's (mostly) down the chain.

Cons

Pay. Static at best, but below average. Making less than we did 5 years ago. A LOT LESS when inflation is added.
    Upper department management is out of touch with "the street". Lack of accountability of upper department management. Contract negotiations take forevvvvvvvvver.

Advice to Management

Be brave! Come out of the office and talk with us and don't be afraid to hear what we have to say! Hold officers accountable when they threaten/ strike/ or have affairs with their subordinates in their chain of command.

5. "Growth Managment Services Department Unprofessional and poorly ran."

Current Employee - Planner in Saint Augustine, FL
    Current Employee - Planner in Saint Augustine, FL

I have been working at St. Johns County full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A job ! You will get a paycheck. You will never get a raise no matter what you do. You show up, breathe air and leave. You really don't have to do much beyond that.

Cons

The Growth Managment Services Department poorly run . An incredible amount of pressure is put on staff to approve development applications .The department participates in favortism and is not flexible on shcheudles or anything else. You work allot of over time but will never be paid for any of it. Expect to work 5 12 hour days and expect to work on weekends

Advice to Management

Look at other alternatives to manage this department professionally.

6. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Augustine, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Augustine, FL

I worked at St. Johns County full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was working for the public library system. People were friendly and helpful to coworkers and the public. I also liked the healthy bit of competition that existed between the branches it fostered pride for your tea, a sense of community and pushed you to work harder to make you branch the best!

Cons

there was a lot of walking, lifting and and not much sitting. I personally enjoyed being active and on my feat. it kept me alert and i was never bored.

Advice to Management

keep up the amazing work!

7. "Great summer job if you don't depend on regular income."

Former Employee - Marine Rescue Lifeguard in Saint Augustine, FL
    Former Employee - Marine Rescue Lifeguard in Saint Augustine, FL

I worked at St. Johns County part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun job, outside all day, mostly friendly coworkers

Cons

A lot of the lifeguards displayed immaturity. There are tight cliques and some people (myself) may feel excluded if they don't fit in to the specific lifeguard stereotype. Also, the lieutenants were somewhat misleading with the hours that were available. I literally worked only 1 day in a whole month that I made myself completely available and asked for full time.

Advice to Management

With four weeks of unpaid training, new guards should be aware that they may not get any hours for several of the summer months.

8. "Beach lifeguard- was very fun and active environment. Great Summer job!"

Former Employee - Life Guard II in Saint Augustine, FL
    Former Employee - Life Guard II in Saint Augustine, FL

Pros

exercise, beach, swimming and surfing, helping people

Cons

sometimes poor management, summer time only

Advice to Management

hae more structure