St. Joseph Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Deborah A. Proctor

Pros
  • Work/life balance, very flexible work schedule, faith-based organization, employee engagement survey (in 8 reviews)

• ability to move up in company, benefits, work-life balance, great people (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • poor management, not a lot of room for growth, micromanaged (in 4 reviews)

• This is a great company, I have no cons (in 5 reviews)

1. "St. Joseph is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Ypsilanti, MI
    Current Employee - Analyst in Ypsilanti, MI

Pros

Helping people. That was the most satisfying part of the job for me.

Cons

Can be stressful. It can be emotionally draining but that is to be expected as part of the job.

Advice to Management

Make sure you take the time to actively solicit feedback from staff.

2. "I love my job, it's my career."

Current Employee - R N in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - R N in Lubbock, TX

Pros

Friendly employees. Wonderful physicians and nurses. R.T. are the best. I have made friends with my co- workers, we are like family. I love how all the different units pull together for the best outcome for the patient.The health insurance is very affordable. The retirement plan is excellent. I like that we as the employees are asked to be on different committies asn we are able to have input in future plans.

Cons

I wish we were allowed more sick days. Six days per year just isn't enough for parents of little children who get sick frequently, nor is it enough time if you have an elderly sick parent to take care of. I wish the nurse/patient ratio was lower, when we have five or six patients it becomes difficult to clock out on time without getting overtime, not to mention I think that it isn;t very safe.

Advice to Management

Our charge nurses need to be team players if they are going to try to lead a team. Lazy employees need to be reprimanded, employees that are "pot stirring" need reprimanded as well. You can't run a unit to be a team if this behavior is allowed.

3. "I felt at home with St. Joesph Health System"

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

St. Joseph Health System is flexible with schedules to include a positive work-life balance. They encourage continued education and benefits are provided. There are opportunities for growth and development.

Cons

Some downsides are from a leadership stand point. Not everyone is open to large initiatives and consolidations that include major change. Also, it may be hard to adapt to all the new reforms and changes in healthcare.

5. "Driven by mission, vision and values"

Current Employee - Manager - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manager - Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The commitment to live by the values is real. That doesn't mean everybody is perfect, but the culture promotes a genuine attempt to exemplify the mission, vision and values. People are generally friendly and helpful. I feel valued here.

Cons

I've not experienced any major cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to be present, visible and accessible. Keep your eye out for those of us doing a great job and we'll be loyal and make this company great!

6. "good"

Former Employee - Staff Critical Care Lvn in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Critical Care Lvn in Lubbock, TX

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a lvn was allowed to become a very experienced nurse .

Cons

some nurses had no respect for Lvns'

7. "Employed 8 years at this point"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great firm to work in with upward and lateral opportunities. Listens to clinical needs and strives to promote excellent patient care.

Cons

None. Firm works diligently to maintain great employee benefits during a turbulent time when many firms are greatly reducing benefit packages.

Advice to Management

Continue the strategic plan in place. All employees appreciate the forums which help communicate the firms direction to the staff who see working in the department's.

8. "Ok"

Current Employee - Radiology in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Radiology in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people and the patients are amazing

Cons

No team work at all

Advice to Management

Get rid of some. Way to many chiefs and not enough Indians

"A forward thinking organization that strives dilligently to be an industry leader."

Current Employee - Director in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Irvine, CA

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are very pleassant and kind. Being a catholic organization, everyone uses a reflection prior to a meeting which is really a great way to calm oneself down and be able to focus squarely on the task at hand.

Cons

Being in healthcare, the biggest con are the changing legislative mandates which continually put pressure on the orgnaizations workforce to stay up to date on new/old/upddated mandates. This creates stress which in turn can lead to burnout but the organization does a good job of placing avenues for relief for the employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to retain and promote talented employees. The future of the organization lies in the young personnel that you have and by keeping the employees around to learn from the tenured staff, it will allow for this great culture to continue on!

"I love working here because the people are so caring it in the mission is to keep people well. Everybody plays their part."

Pros

Everybody has a job and knows how to do it. it's busy all the time and there are no silly committees.

Cons

Sometimes the workload is overwhelming.

11. "I worked there for over 8 years"

Former Employee - Manager PAS in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager PAS in Atlanta, GA

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent patient care. The doctors and nurses are awesome. The team I worked with in registration are some of the best people I've had the pleasure to work with.

Cons

When Emory took over upper management changed. The moral of staff went down and Emory's management didn't care. They added supervisors and deleted managers. Now that the complaint are rolling in they are hiring managers again. Wow they deleted my job for what?

Advice to Management

Care about your staff. Happy staff happy patients. Everyone is on edge and it's hard to work well like that.