St. Joseph Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

St. Joseph Health System Reviews

Updated April 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work/life balance, very flexible work schedule, faith-based organization, employee engagement survey (in 8 reviews)

• ability to move up in company, benefits, work-life balance, great people (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • poor management, not a lot of room for growth, micromanaged (in 4 reviews)

• This is a great company, I have no cons (in 5 reviews)

"No IT career growth"

Current Employee - Senior IT Technician in Eureka, CA
    Current Employee - Senior IT Technician in Eureka, CA

Pros

Good work/life balance. Good benefits. Clear mission and values. Good pay for the area (though perhaps not so much for other locations).

Cons

I had an opportunity to have a one-on-one phone conversation with the CIO, and he told me very clearly: unless I move to Orangewood, then I have no technical career opportunities with this company.

The IT operation is hyper centralized. This was done as an overreaction to the decentralized way that each site used to operate. Centralization of things like the EMR was a very good thing (or at least a good idea, if not hastily and aggressively implemented), but they went overboard. Along with the EMR they also centralized as much of the rest of the IT infrastructure as they could, including the career opportunities. These days, if you don't live in Orangewood, CA then you don't have a shot at the higher end IT jobs. All the remote sites offer are basic grunt work IT jobs. Even then, a lot of the career employees were laid off and their jobs handed to contractors like Gordian Dynamics. What's worse is that the central teams show no respect for the IT techs at the remote sites. We're treated with a lot of disrespect and as if we know nothing. That pretty closely sums up the state of the IT culture at Saint Joseph: the central teams think that remote sites are full of idiots, and the remote sites think that the central team is full of jerks.

Whether they are overworked, understaffed, or just plain slow and stupid, the central teams move at a snails pace and don't support the remote sites very well. The hyper centralization puts remote sites in a position where they are entirely dependent on the central teams to deploy configurations or run reports in order for us to do our jobs, but it takes months for them to do anything. This leads remote site techs to come up with cheap hacks and workarounds. Many settings that would be best deployed via Group Policy or SCCM are instead configured locally because it's just easier than dealing with the central team attitude, and we at least have the ability to manage it ourselves.

The CIO wants to lead a company like Apple or Facebook. He's lost sight of the fact that he's ultimately an IT manager, not an innovative software company CEO; but he's running IT in that manner. He's also a bit too much of a politician (like, he seems accustomed to lying).

Being on-call in IT is legally dubious, because you don't get on-call pay while you're on-call; you only get paid if you actually get called in. Management claims that this is legal because being on-call is "non restrictive". We're told that we don't have to respond when getting paged while on-call. That's an outright lie. If we're on-call and get paged but don't respond then we will be in trouble.

At the end of the day, my position is just a job, not a career. I'm better off looking elsewhere to develop myself.

Advice to Management

Whether they're spread thin or just a bunch of idiots, one thing is clear: the central teams are doing a crap job at supporting the remote sites. Give some autonomy to remote site IT so that they can do their jobs and support their local ministries.

"Used to be better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Napa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Napa, CA

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked there for 7 years before leaving. I liked my coworkers. Management on the other hand kept looking for ways to "save money". Ultimately, its the patients who suffer. More and more stuff was getting placed on the nurses already busy patient load.

Cons

removal of resources, management causing roadblocks for union contract.

3. "Manager Clinical Informatics"

Current Employee - Manager in Eureka, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Eureka, CA

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company was started by the sisters of St. Joseph, they work hard to keep the mission a central part of this health system.

Cons

This is a great company, I have no cons.

5. "Great Career Start"

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Orange, CA

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees have been at locations long term; 5 to 10+ years so job security is there. Great experience to start a career in the medical field. Coworkers work well as a team to uphold the ethics of the organization.

Cons

Pay is lower than most other organizations of this size; Nothing is being done to reform this.

Advice to Management

Better communication with employees would make a big difference in the work environment.

6. "Monitor technician"

Current Employee - Monitor Technician-PCU-and EKG Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Monitor Technician-PCU-and EKG Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System (More than a year)

Pros

Great salaries and a benifits

Cons

Just the parking is a pain..

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!

7. "Recruiter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good personal time off. Large company, so possibly to move and grow. To be honest, there is not a lot of positives I can think of at the moment.

Cons

Large company which means it takes for ever to get an answer. You get lost in the crowd. Good job goes un noticed. Poor management and lots of micromanaging

Advice to Management

Praise your staff when they do a good job. Take time to care about your staff members.

8. "St. Jeseph."

Current Employee - IT Technician in Apple Valley, CA
    Current Employee - IT Technician in Apple Valley, CA

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Close to home, Great working environment, OK benefits. good PTO hours. Great team to work with. Has great work values. Provides good training and opportunity to attain more work related education.

Cons

No holiday pay, all comes out of PTO. i.e. sick leave, vacation, holidays . Awards seem to go to the most visible employees instead of the more hard working employees.

Advice to Management

Need more engagement in the community. Also would be good to follow the Sister group: St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare programs for employees. Also regarding the Health insurance; should provide options for coverage. For example, for those who are healthy and do not take any medications, or have need for them, there should be an option to elect Trauma / Emergency care insurance only, and at a lower cost; this can be achieved by offering a higher co-pay for Pharmaceutical drugs if ever needed. Also have a different plan for spouses who may or may not need medications.

"Good company, good people, bad senior management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I worked at St. Joseph Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

nice culture, good people.

Cons

Senior management is only focused on saving their job. They are scared of any changes, discourages people with tangible ideas to bring positive change to the org.

Advice to Management

Focus on Employee growth, listen to people. That will make you a good leader.

10. "Staf nurse II"

Former Employee - Staff Nurse II in Napa, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse II in Napa, CA

Pros

Close to home. Good support from management.

Cons

None really. Loved my co-workers.

Advice to Management

Continue being supportive.

"There is always good and bad in all situations."

Current Employee - Optometrist in Apple Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Optometrist in Apple Valley, CA

I have been working at St. Joseph Health System (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working here. I enjoy the people, the benefits and compensation are great.

Cons

Since it is a corporate entity it takes quite a while to get equipment asked for or fixed.