KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing
Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Mission-driven work that is led with strategy and compassion

Jan 10, 2022 - Director, Corporate Communications in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

The organization really focuses on employee culture, values and its mission. The benefits are great. I feel leadership cares for employees, as seen in their benefits, communications and professional development opportunities. They have a leadership program that teaches management skills for potential and existing managers. They also encourage big ideas and strategic growth.

Cons

The work can be difficult at times, which is understandable considering our mission.

Human Resources

Hi! Thanks for your review! We're so glad to read such an uplifting review of St. Jude. We continue to explore and implement ways for our frontline employees to weigh in, especially as things are so quick to change with each passing month. Thanks for your contributions!

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Mission driven high performing employer

Sep 25, 2021 - Director in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Mission of the organization is part of everything Employees are valued and appreciated Stewardship is a true value of the organization Campus is a great place to work Innovation and progress are embraced

Cons

Work life balance can be challenging It can be emotionally difficult to see sick patients Diversity in leadership positions Inconsistency in quality of leadership and work environment/morale across departments/divisions.

Human Resources

Thank you for pointing out so many wonderful pros of working at St. Jude! We're glad that you noticed stewardship, innovation, and progress, all of which are huge parts of our organization's core values. As we continue to expand, it remains one of our goals to support our employees, including being allies to and elevating our employees of color, LGBTQIA+ employees, and women within the organization. We continue to strive to find ways to ease the burdens of stress and grief on our workforce. We are hopeful that employees will continue to come forward with ideas to uplift and support our workforce. Thank you for speaking up!

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Ambitious and unstoppable

Jun 23, 2021 - Director in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude CRH takes on incredible goals. Getting to work with the best and brightest and aiming for the stars brings out the best in me. Even the dreariest day is made brighter with the awareness that all employees can share in our contributions to the mission.

Cons

St. Jude is in the process of adapting to incredible growth over the past several years with more growth on the horizon. Some internal systems still seem homespun. But change initiatives are in process and most are being carried out methodically. With such a mission and a team of people committed to moving the needle on catastrophic childhood diseases all around the world, sometimes work/life balance gets off kilter.

Human Resources

Hi! Thank you for such a thoughtful review. It's true that a place of so much hope can brighten a bad day. Your remarks about the growth are spot-on. There are always growing pains, but as you pointed out, we are in the process of some sweeping changes to make systems run more smoothly. Finally, this is a great suggestion. We allow vacation days to be carried over to help our workforce prepare for events such as parental leave and prolonged illness or recuperation, but Living Well helps us incentivize people to take their vacation days by offering points towards gift cards for those employees that better utilize their time off. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your review!

4. 5.0

Top rate support

Jan 13, 2021 - Lab Director in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Facilities and research support are fantastic

Cons

I do not agree with all top management priorities but so what.

Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the honest feedback. We are always looking for employee ideas for each year's Blue Sky initiatives, which give all of our employees the opportunity to suggest an idea for our executive leadership to prioritize. We're hoping you will suggest some ideas. If you need to speak with someone about an issue within your lab, please contact Employee Relations.

5. 5.0

Great place to work

Dec 11, 2020 - Director in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

A great place to work

Cons

There are no cons. SJ is amazing.

Human Resources

Hey there! Thank you for the kind words! We're glad that you're enjoying your role here at St. Jude.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

"No child should die in the dawn of life." -Danny Thomas

Nov 9, 2020 - Director in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

The mission (find cures for children with cancer and other catastrophic diseases through research and treatment) drives everything that we do. St. Jude is committed to this goal and enables the work through world-class facilities and training.

Cons

Cons are very few and small.

Human Resources

Hi! Thanks for your review! We are so proud to provide world-class facilities and equipment for our employees to do their lifesaving and groundbreaking work. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience!

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

There is No Better Place to Work Than St. Jude

Sep 11, 2020 - Administrative Director in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

We are making kids better. No matter what your job function is at St. Jude, you are contributing to our mission of finding cures and saving children. My "worst" day at St. Jude is better than any day I have had working elsewhere. We work hard, play hard and love what we do. The way that our hospital has come together to make it safely through the pandemic has been astonishing.

Cons

So many people ask me how I work at St. Jude, and, yes, seeing suffering children can be heavy on the heart. Seeing well children from our efforts and seeing leftover confetti from a No Mo Chemo party does amazing things for your soul.

Human Resources

This was a lovely review to read. Thank you so much for your kindness. While seeing sick children and young adults can be very trying, it makes the recoveries that much sweeter. St. Jude is not a sad place; it's a place full of hope and promise. And the day we no longer see that confetti means we've finally accomplished our mission! Our leadership thanks you for your touching words.

8. 5.0

LOVE MY JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 28, 2020 - Administrative Director in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude is a great place to work. The feeling of family throughout the institution and great leadership team makes you want to come to work and do your best everyday!

Cons

I have NO Cons to report.

Human Resources

Some of our favorite reviews are when we can feel the excitement and joy that a reviewer has for his or her job. Thank you for doing amazing work and loving St. Jude and its people and mission!

9. 5.0

Great Place to Work!

Apr 28, 2020 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Family-oriented, patient-focused, research-driven -- an amazing combination of healthcare and science.

Cons

Growing at break neck speed. You see a lot of new people every day. (This is not necessarily a con.)

Human Resources

Thanks for your review! Our rapid growth can be daunting sometimes! New people, new positions, new departments! It means we're moving the needle forwards, but it can be an adjustment sometimes. Thank you for your hard work and dedication to the patients of St. Jude. We are so glad that you're here.

10. 5.0

Great Place To Work

Feb 18, 2020 - Director in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Our compelling mission. The mission of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is to advance cures, and means for prevention, for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. Consistent with the vision of our founder, Danny Thomas, no child is denied treatment based on race, religion or a family’s ability to pay. We have the best benefits. We have a living wage of $15. an hour minimum

Cons

St. Jude is growing so fast. We are running out of space. No worries, new buildings are going up every day.

Talent Experience Advisor

Thank you for your review! I think it's still a shock to some patient families when they realize they will never receive a bill from us for treatment and that we take care of them in so many other ways, too. Thank you for reminding us all of how incredibly special and unique St. Jude is. And you're right! We are running out of space but we've got two buildings under construction, a couple more slated for renovation, and several more slated to be begun this summer, so we're trying to keep up! Thank you as well for your recognition of Leadership Academy, which is a wonderful program for our managers that seek to become better leaders for their teams. Thank you for your dedicated service of so many years to the children of St. Jude.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 24 Reviews