KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing
Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years
    Featured Review

We stay busy, but it's a rewarding place to work!

Aug 25, 2021 - Human Resources Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

We have incredible healthcare benefits!!! I feel like St. Jude looks out for my health and well-being. I love having an onsite pharmacy and clinic; it makes it way easier for me to keep appointments during the day. I respect our administrative leadership's efforts to better increase and highlight diversity and inclusion. Our workforce is very diverse, but it's nice to see that it's increasingly celebrated. In the past year we've formed the women's + allies resource group and the Black employees + allies resource group. They, along with our PRIDE group, are doing some incredible things on campus. I feel lucky to be a part of these groups and help celebrate our diversity. We mandated the vaccine!!! I feel valued and safe and also very proud that we are taking steps to protect our patients and their families, as well as each other and each other's families. St. Jude churns out some powerful and world-changing research. Our resources and our faculty are top-notch; I am always so proud to be in Memphis and a part of this incredible institution. Working in HR, I love to be a part of hiring, training, and elevating employees. I believe that we are equipped and empowered to be some of the best.

Cons

It's a pandemic, so we are BUSY. We're tired and stressed. We've been forced to make some changes in some of our departments to better handle the pandemic. Some of us have transitioned to remote work (guess that's not really a con for most people though). But I feel like I have been supported by this organization even on the rough days and I look forward to when I can return to complaining about something way less serious, like our Starbucks line being too long.

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for your review! We especially appreciate you taking the time to mention our employee resource groups, including PRIDE, the BEARG, and the WARG. We are glad that you feel supported, even though it has been a stressful time to work in healthcare. Thank you for your honest advice to management. We are currently brainstorming additional ways to elevate and relieve our clinical workforce, who have continued to perform above and beyond, as they always do, the past 18 months. We are hopeful that one day soon, the Starbucks line will return to being the most inconvenient part of your day (want to skip the line? Remember that you can order ahead on the GrubHub app!).

2. 5.0

Mission and Environment

Oct 5, 2021 - Manager, Research Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude is a top place to work. Great mission and environment.

Cons

There are no downsides, especially compared to similar institutions.

Human Resources

Thank you so much for your review! We are so honored to be a top-level research institution, thanks to employees like you and your team.

3. 5.0

Made changes to adapt

Sep 30, 2021 - Project Manager in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Like all companies, St. Jude was forced to make lots of changes during the pandemic and they really tried hard to adapt to employee needs and concerns while also keeping our mission at the forefront. Most recently our Resilience Center added a new staff member, canine Rosalie, to encourage employees during these trying, ever-changing times.

Cons

Lots of changes in the past 18 months and sometimes it’s hard to adjust to the new norm.

Human Resources

Thank you so much for your review! We're glad that you had the opportunity to meet Rosalie, our newest staff member dedicated to employee health and wellbeing. We're hoping that when times get "ruff," she can help out. Forced changes have made us a more adaptable institution but have been difficult as employees are asked to pivot among projects and priorities to keep our campus, and our patients, safe. Thank you for being a valuable part of our mission and helping us grow.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Employee focused

Aug 21, 2021 - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and core values.

Cons

Poor IT/IS support. Behind the times with technology.

Human Resources

Thank you so much for leaving us a review! We appreciate the time and effort you put into your constructive suggestions. Information Services is in the process of a two-year project that will result in more streamlined systems and better capability. It is our hope that the conclusion of this project will improve efficiency across St. Jude. Regarding your suggestion about retirement health insurance, this is an excellent idea to run by the benefits team. Please contact their director for further insight as to feasibility in the coming years and how we are working to better serve our workforce approaching retirement.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great mission

Aug 28, 2021 - Marketing Communications Manager in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

The spirit of collaboration between doctors is amazing. Scientists work together with doctors on treatments and cures, and communicate face to face. The brainstorming potential leads to results and cures. There are good resources, thanks to our foundation's work. The patients are incredible and inspiring and make you want to get up every day.

Cons

There are politics at play between some groups. It can lead to breakdowns in efficiency. Also, there are favored groups.

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for a thoughtful review! It's clear that you treasure your colleagues and the organization. We are so glad that you're a part of our mission. We agree that retention is just as important as external recruitment. Many roles are placed on the internal job board before we seek external applicants. If you would like to learn more about our recruiting and promotion process, contact a member of talent acquisition, and they can answer some of your questions. Thank you again for kind words and suggestions!

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

I love working at St. Jude!

May 26, 2021 - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Phenomenal growth, great job security, the organization truly cares about its employees, great benefits.

Cons

No place is perfect. Anytime you work with other human beings, it can sometimes get interesting; however, I can't think of anything to share.

Human Resources

What a great review to read! We're so excited that you've enjoyed job security and great benefits and have weathered the sometimes daunting experience of growth. Thank you as well for recognizing that sometimes, it can be hard to meld personalities but that with cooperation, determination, and an open mind, we can all work together towards a shared goal and most importantly, a shared mission. Thank you for your service to the patients of St. Jude!

7. 5.0
    Former Freelancer

Job

Jun 14, 2021 - Manager in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Mission and patients are great

Cons

The hours can be tough

Human Resources

Thank you for your review!

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

A great place to make a difference

Jun 2, 2021 - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's a fulfilling place to work.

Cons

The only con is its location.

Human Resources

Thank you for your review. It is discouraging that you have lived in Memphis 10+ years and still haven't discovered all that is has to offer, but if you'd like to contact HR, we will happily share some recommendations with you! Our founder, Danny Thomas, chose Memphis for the location of St. Jude for myriad reasons and the city, its history, its shortcomings, and its successes have all been part of the story of St. Jude.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good

Apr 21, 2021 - Manager in Westminster, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very friendly environment to work at

Cons

nothing to complain. It's stressful since it's related to healthcare.

Human Resources

It is a very stressful time to work in healthcare, but thanks to the dedication of employees like you, St. Jude is able to continue our mission. Thank you so much for all that you do.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Love it

Mar 19, 2021 - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, culture, inspiring mission and rewarding work

Cons

Memphis is not everyone’s cup of tea

Human Resources

Thanks for taking time to review your experience! We're so glad that you have enjoyed the benefits and get so much out of your work. If you or someone on your team has had trouble plugging into the Memphis community, please contact Talent Acquisition within HR. They'd love to share some materials with you to help St. Jude employees getting acclimated to the Mid-South.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 63 Reviews