St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews in Memphis, TN | Glassdoor

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing

Pros
  • Jude cares about its employees and promotes a healthy work/ life balance (in 18 reviews)

• They take it to heart that they would like for this to be a great place to work (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • There are no cons or down side to working at St (in 10 reviews)

• Not many cons, a lot of meetings (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

""excellent development opportunities for young scientist""

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

1. Outstanding corporate mission and vision backed up by fantastic staff. Everybody seems to care and everybody likes working here.
    2. Great benefit package and good work/life balance. The management wants you to be productive and in order to get there they want you to be a happy and healthy employee. Free on campus gym and "living well programs" are available. We get family sick leave, too. Seriously, I think our management actually likes their employees.
    3. Modern, well equipped, easily accessible research facilities and core centers. If you need something specific to get your research done, you will probably be able to get it.
    4. There is great research going on here, with a lot of collaborations between departments and outstanding seminar speakers from all over the world.
    5. Well organized career development programs and good networking opportunities.
    6. HR is friendly, competent and fast here. Yes, you read that right, the human resources department here HELPS you with your problems. They are just awesome.
    7. Above average pay. Plus, a standard postdoc salary will allow you to afford a good life in Memphis. Memphis is a great place to live, especially with St.Jude benefit package.
    8. Opportunities for promotions exist. People here respect talent and good work.

Cons

Not many cons, really.

It is difficult to recruit new talent here, people don't want to live in Memphis, for no good reason.

Can be political at times, but no where near as bad as in other places.

Advice to Management

Senior research management needs to use their resources better. There are unused capacities.

Jun 21, 2016 – Recruiter

We are very gracious for the excellent review! It is great to read all of the incredible things you have to say about your time with St. Jude. It is employees like yourself that help carry the ... More

2. "great work place"

Current Employee - Research Lab Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Research Lab Specialist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent research platform, flexibility and benefits

Cons

location is in downtown area

"Best Place to Work in Healthcare"

Current Employee - Stem Cell Processing Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Stem Cell Processing Specialist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Employee Appreciation, Positive Workplace Culture, Group Cohesiveness, Room for Advancement, Educational Opportunities for Those Looking to Gain Additional Knowledge, Leadership Forums, Great Company Outlook, Great Cafeteria Food, Excellent Pay, Schedule Flexibility, Secure Medical Campus, On-site Gym, Employer Discounts, Great Work/Life Balance

Cons

I have none at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue to value the employees as this boosts their longevity with the organization :-)

5. "Research Technologist"

Current Employee - Research Technologist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Research Technologist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people works together with super nice environment and high level research atmosphere.

Cons

Everything looks good for me.

Apr 27, 2017 – Recruiter

Thanks for the review!

"Employment with a sense of purpose"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are innumerable benefits to working with St. Jude. However, I will attempt to highlight some that I find to be most important, as I view Glassdoor as an opportunity to provide real insight to potential employees. Also, I want to clarify that my bias will be towards clinical care, as I am a registered nurse. I have no first hand knowledge of other areas. So, as they say, caveat emptor.

First and foremost, there is our guiding mission. "No child should die in the dawn of life." The work that we do on a daily basis does indeed help save lives. I have seen advances in treatment and outcomes first hand. It is slow and incremental, but it's there.

Our benefits are better than the norm. I've compared our benefits to other institutions over the last five years, and dollar for dollar, ours are better. I'm sure that there are exceptions to that, based on personal needs and familial situations, but on average I'd pit our benefits package against almost any employer in Memphis.

Work/life balance. 12 hour shifts can be brutal, but our ability to self-schedule helps ensure that we can have the time we need to recover. There are instances where changes have to be made, and we don't always agree with them. BUT, that's a risk you run with any employer. We also have the added advantage of paid holidays, personal time, PTO and sick time to supplement our days away from the job. Many of us take that for granted, but for most hospitals give employees less time away. And they typically have ZERO paid holidays.

Non-clinical employment opportunities. There comes a time in our lives (as nurses) where the bedside is no longer an option. It could be age, physical condition, or mental fatigue. Regardless, there are numerous options away from the clinical setting for those that would like a change. Yes, there is competition. No, there aren't always positions when we want them. But in life, patience is a virtue.

Lastly, I would say a sense of camaraderie. This is both a pro and a con. Many shifts (again, I am speaking solely to nursing) and units feel very much like family. We can be very tight knit, supporting one another in times of distress, whether it's professional or personal. We celebrate triumph, commiserate with one another during defeat, and we mourn our losses as one. I am proud to work on my unit, and I call many of my colleagues friends. I've not felt the same in previous roles, so I embrace it.

Cons

It would be dishonest of me to omit the flaws that I see (personally), so I'll outline them as best i can.

As I mentioned, there is a sense of camaraderie and of family. With that, though, comes the formation of cliques and aloof behavior. It waxes and wanes, but it does happen. Often, we are able to "self-correct", but sometimes it leads to alienation of new employees. It's something of which we must all be mindful. And like most families, we have our share of dysfunctional family members who are negative, loud, or downright cantankerous. We are but human.

Salary. I'm sure I've never met anyone who was completely satisfied with their compensation package. That said, I sometimes feel as if we aren't as competitive as we could be. We as an organization set ourselves apart from other hospitals in most regards, but then choose to use local market comparisons for pay. It seems counterintuitive if the objective is to recruit premier talent from across the country. Adjusting for cost of living, we are still paid less than nurses at similar institutions with similar prestige (UCSF, Dana Farber, CHOP, and Stanford to name a few).

Paid Time Off. As I previously stated, I feel like we have sufficient time off. The con is that we continue to place time off in multiple buckets (sick, family sick and vacation). My preference would be to see my current time off placed into a single PTO bucket, for use at my discretion. While I'm sure there are those who use sick time on a consistent basis, I know a number of individuals who are no longer accruing sick time because they have reached the maximum allowed. My concern is that other entities that have made the transition from Sick/Vacation route to PTO have decreased the overall benefit, and that would be detrimental.

Limited advancement potential. While there are a number of roles away from the clinical area for nurses, there is limited upward potential within inpatient nursing. Each unit has 6 coordinators, and there are only four manager roles. It can be discouraging if you desire any sort of upward progression. Couple that with poor to non-existent career guidance, and you have created an environment that encourages one to look outside the hospital for advancement.

Shift differentials. A common complaint is the loss of shift differential for time off. If a dayshift employee takes time away from work (vacation/sick/personal time), then they are paid their normal salary. A night shift employee who takes time away is "penalized" for taking time away, as the 20% night shift differential is not paid on unworked hours. I'm also aware that the shift differential is intended to compensate employees for the hardships placed on shift workers who must adapt to unusual working hours. My personal feeling is that it's equally difficult to "flip-flop" from a night to day circadian rhythm and that the hardship of shift work doesn't end just because I've chosen to take a day off. I would also point out that it is not unprecedented. The federal government currently pays shift workers differential for unworked hours, as do many state governments. Additionally, there are entire industries that do as well.

All that being said, none of the cons I've listed are deal breakers for me. I only include the cons to illustrate both sides to the same coin.

Advice to Management

I would look to include more non-exempt employees in all levels of decision making, as often it seems that we function through trickle-down management. Many of the changes that have been made during my tenure were good in theory, but lacked in execution and implementation because the end-users were not involved.

Focus on improving career guidance services, as there are many dedicated and beneficial employees who feel underserved in this regard.

Continue focusing on quality of life services for the patients and patient families. Being a patient at St. Jude alone signals a huge change in quality of life.

Finally, continue improving in all that we do as an organization.

May 11, 2017 – Recruiter

First of all, thank you for taking the time to review your employment experience as a Pediatric Oncology Nurse at St. Jude. Your frontline work with our patients as the face and heart of the hospital ... More

7. "Amazing Environment to Work in"

Former Intern - Intern in Memphis, TN
    Former Intern - Intern in Memphis, TN

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible amount of emphasis on patient care and quality of life. St. Jude dose an excellent job of providing an atmosphere of hope and warmth for the patients that is easy to see by anyone who steps on the campus.

Cons

There can be long nights working overtime, but it feels worth it when considering how the research you're doing is directly impacting the lives of the kids.

8. "Human Resources"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

Great working environment along with exceptional individuals to work with. Terrific benefits and work environment.

Cons

I have no negative comments to say regarding St. Jude

Advice to Management

N/A

Apr 4, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for your review! We are glad you enjoy your position with St. Jude.

9. "Great place with great attitude"

Current Employee - Clinical Dietitian in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Clinical Dietitian in Memphis, TN

Pros

Great environment ---- very uplifting and encouraging
    GREAT perks
    Really value the employee
    good salary
    really learn a lot from the multidisciplinary team

Cons

It is sometimes sad to work at a children's cancer facility because there are children who do not make it

Mar 23, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for your review. We are glad you love your job as a Dietitian at St. Jude. That is commonly heard from our front-line patient care employees, that it is hard to see children ... More

10. "Truly is a Best Place to Work"

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

The mission alone is a reason to work here. However, St. Jude also has many other attributes that are attractive to employees. It offers a good benefits package and seems to value employee input. While other organizations I've worked for have asked for employees' opinions, they have disregarded them after receiving feedback. St. Jude truly listens. It also offers professional development opportunities and an employee recognition program. The hospital also emphasizes employee physician and mental health through an on-site, free fitness center, bikes to ride across campus, mobile mammograms, and free yearly health screenings. There are also health incentives.

Cons

The downtown location can be congested during commuting hours. Surrounding neighborhood is uneven, but there are long-range plans to improve that. The hospital has great security, though, and secure parking. Cafeteria lines can be long at lunch. Building names can be confusing.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees, as you have been.

Mar 6, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for the thorough review of your likes and dislikes about St. Jude and the surrounding area! We are so glad you are enjoying all the benefits we have in place to make work a better ... More

11. "The BEST place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At St. Jude, I'm able to use my skills and energy to help save the lives of children around the world. Every person who works here -- from the people who clean the offices to the people who work in the labs to the people who cook the food -- know that they play a role in a much larger mission. That knowledge gives meaning and fulfillment to us all.

At the head of our organization is Dr. James Downing, who constantly works to find new ways to connect with employees and families alike. He is a great communicator, who makes a concerted effort to interact with staff through Town Hall meetings, eating lunch with employees in the cafeteria, and attending many events where he can meet and talk with staff.

I truly believe that St. Jude allows me to make a contribution to something that will reverberate long after I am gone.

Cons

The only downside of working at St. Jude is that it is a fairly long drive each morning.

Mar 13, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for your review! So glad you are enjoying your employment with St. Jude. We usually speak to the "Cons" portion of these reviews, but as you know, the length of drive time to work ... More