St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Memphis Reviews

Updated Sep 11, 2020

4.7
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing
  1. "There is No Better Place to Work Than St. Jude"

Current Employee - Administrative Director in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

We are making kids better. No matter what your job function is at St. Jude, you are contributing to our mission of finding cures and saving children. My "worst" day at St. Jude is better than any day I have had working elsewhere. We work hard, play hard and love what we do. The way that our hospital has come together to make it safely through the pandemic has been astonishing.

Cons

So many people ask me how I work at St. Jude, and, yes, seeing suffering children can be heavy on the heart. Seeing well children from our efforts and seeing leftover confetti from a No Mo Chemo party does amazing things for your soul.

Continue reading
  2. "Great Place to Work; they really care about employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits and programs are offered to meet employee's needs, even those needs outside of your work

Cons

For me, one of the downsides is my commute. I live 30 miles away. But I come in and leave at times that are not heavy traffic for my commute

Human Resources

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review! Thank you for recognizing our commitment to our employees' well-being. We try to accommodate all of our employees' needs and families in decisions that we make, so it's wonderful to read that it has not gone unnoticed, even by those who do not need special accommodations. We tell new employees who are new to Memphis: you can live as far away or as close as you want, and you have your choice of three states!

3. "No Place I'd Rather Work!"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Benefits, Work Life Balance, Salary

Cons

Not enough parking for everyone on campus

Human Resources

Thank you for leaving a review! There is good news about parking: Now that so many employees are working mainly from home, we have plenty of it! We already had a plan in place to increase parking, but our space problem is, at least temporarily, solved. Thank you for all that you do!

4. "Hope to be here until I retire"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Memphis, TN

Pros

Working at St. Jude in any capacity allows you to be part of something that is so important to so many families. There is so much hope and caring that you can't help but want to do everything in your power to be a great employee. My managers care about me and want to see me advance my career. Benefits are awesome!

Cons

None that I can think of.

Human Resources

What a touching title to read! It's very gratifying that you enjoy it so much that you'd like to stay until retirement. We're glad that you feel appreciated and supported. Thank you for many joyous years and here's to many more!

5. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist II in Memphis, TN

Pros

St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital has an amazing culture. Your work really does make a difference for these children. There is no better place to feel like it really makes an impact.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

Human Resources

Hey, this is great! We love hearing from our employees who embrace the culture here. Your work does make a difference, and it's employees like you who continue to astound our leadership with their devotion and work ethic. Thank you for your review!

6. COVID-19

"Best Place to Work:)"

Current Employee - Talent Sourcing Specialist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Care Culture Mission People Progress

Cons

Covid Remote Emotional Difficult Trial

Human Resources

Thank you for leaving us a review! We're glad that you value our culture and progress. We know that the pandemic has impacted our workforce. We hope that you will reach out to the COVID-19 support staff at the Resilience Center. While some employees thrive at home, others are having a difficult time working remotely. Please discuss options with your manager so that we can empower you to do your best work in an ever-changing landscape.

7. "Amazing people doing amazing things."

Current Employee - Research Technician in Memphis, TN

Pros

St. Jude's values and missions can be seen throughout the staff whether they are serving in the cafeteria, handing out flyers for upcoming events or sanitizing common spaces. Fair pay and clear ladder of growth in place. Constant events for patients and employees to keep morale high. Great work life balance.

Cons

I have no complaints about working at St. Jude.

Human Resources

Thank you for mentioning employee morale and our efforts to engage our employees in an increasingly virtual workplace. We are open to more ideas on how to keep a keen focus on St. Jude's culture as we continue to navigate the pandemic and its effects on our institution. Thank you for your hard work!

8. COVID-19

"I hope to work here until I retire"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are too many pros to capture them all here, but St. Jude is the perfect place to work if feeling that you make a difference in the world matters to you. No matter your position, you become a part of an amazing mission and will feel the impact you make and the amazing satisfaction of a job well done. The workplace environment is nurturing and conducive to inspiring you to do your best. I still feel this way and I have been here over 15 years now.

Cons

I am hard-pressed to come up with a con. Maybe that my office doesn't have a window...?

Human Resources

Fifteen years! Thank you so much for loaning us your invaluable efforts and skills for so long! We're glad that you still feel supported and inspired and that our mission continues to help you do your best work. And thank you for your recognition of our administration. Our employees' and patients' safety was at the forefront of our decisions and we are so glad that it paid off for our families.

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits and work environment. Also, parking is for free.

Cons

Not much to talk about.

Human Resources

Hi! Thank you for your review! We're glad that you enjoy your work environment! While parking was close to maxed out before a lot of our workforce began working from home, it was always free! (And will remain free.) The Compensation team is currently redoing the career ladders for the research track and will have an announcement shortly. Our hope is that it will benefit our research employees significantly and provide a clearer path of upward mobility. If you'd like to review the career ladder for your role, please email Compensation and one of our compensation analysts will contact you. Thank you for the suggestion!

10. COVID-19

"A "bad" day at work is very rare, even during a pandemic!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

St. Jude is the only employer I have ever worked with that truly cares about staff. The administration is constantly checking in to ensure that employees are receiving the benefits we deserve, and asking how they can improve work life for ALL, not just those at the top. From Blue Sky initiatives submitted by staff, to minor adjustments that have major impacts, administration continues to work with staff to ensure St. Jude is the BEST, both for patients and employees. Administration really listens, and addresses issues, even if they are difficult to tackle.

Cons

Like many institutions, senior administration is currently rather homogenous. However, our CEO has recognized this for the problem it is, and has dedicated significant resources to overhauling and drastically improving diversity and inclusion efforts. The changes over the past year have been visible and measurable. I applaud administration for tackling this difficult topic, and having the character to both empower and improve access to opportunities for women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, immigrants, and all others that bring diversity to our faculty and staff. We are not quite where we should be, we absolutely need more women, LGBTQ+ and POC represented in our senior leadership, but we are certainly making serious efforts to get there. I am confident that this aspect of employment at St. Jude will only continue to improve.

Human Resources

Thank you for addressing an important topic with a heartfelt approach. With the establishment of the Office of Diversity and Inclusion came so many opportunities for improvement, possibilities for the future, and a sense of urgency among our workforce and leadership to prioritize this initiative. Our employees have spoken and we have listened. We're thrilled that we can confidently say that we've heard you and are taking the steps to making changes. Thank you so much for your candor and dedication to the employees and patients of St. Jude.

Found 454 reviews