KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing
Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Incredible place to work

Dec 9, 2021 - Postdoctoral Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

This organization is managed extremely well from the top level execs down. With a people first mentality, they are always putting their employees at the center of every operation.

Cons

Nothing. Literally not a single thing.

Human Resources

Thank you so much! What a delightful review to read. Thanks for choosing us to work on your postdoctoral training. We're thrilled to have you at St. Jude.

2. 5.0

Fantastic!

Apr 28, 2021 - Postdoctoral Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture and mission are very valuable in a very supportive environment.

Cons

I did not notice any yet.

Human Resources

Hi! Thanks for your review! We're so glad that you are surrounded by so much support. Thank you for working on your postdoc here at St. Jude; our postdoc community is integral to great research.

3. 5.0

Great place to work

Apr 13, 2021 - Postdoctoral Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, salary, people are amazing, collaborative

Cons

Nothing with St. Jude itself, but Memphis

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources

We're glad you've found so much to love about your position! Thanks for leaving us a review. We encourage all postdocs and positions to contact Human Resources' Talent Acquisition team if having trouble finding things to do and people to meet in Memphis. Even though the city is still partially shut down to the pandemic, the team can help you find plenty to love about Memphis. Helping to showcase all the things to love about the city helps us to attract top talent to St. Jude.

4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Mixed support for Postdocs

Jan 9, 2021 - Postdoctoral Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

The mission and drive of St. Jude Children's Research hospital is admirable and they are committed to their mission. Many people at the organization are motivated by their research. Access to resources across campus are excellent.

Cons

Typical with many postdoc positions, PIs may be helpful or harmful with career progression. Many are not interested in building the careers of their trainees. Previously, St. Jude offered Postdocs more permanent staff scientist positions after 5 years of the Postdoctoral Fellowship but more recently they have allowed endless extensions of the postdoc appointment, limiting the progression of trainees.

Continue reading

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful review. We know that academia can be very difficult and that experiences can vary greatly among departments. We do have support groups for our postdoctoral community, if you'd like to contact our Academic Programs Office for additional information. If you are being mistreated in your lab, please consider contacting Employee Relations. And finally, if you would like information on your career ladder and the changes coming shortly, please contact Compensation. Thank you for mentioning your pros, but it's our desire that we find a way to remedy your cons.

5. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great Perks!

Mar 16, 2021 - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone loves the company mission

Cons

Some employees lack motivation and drive

Human Resources

Thanks for your review and good luck in your next endeavor! We can't wait until it is safe to bring back all of the on-campus perks that we became accustomed to having!

6. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great place

Feb 3, 2021 - Postdoctoral Fellow
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is full of Awesome people, great facilities

Cons

The hospital is located in Memphis, which is a terrible place to live.

Human Resources

Thanks for your review. We're glad you had great colleagues and resources. Memphis has many outstanding qualities but, like many large cities, is not without its problems. Our hope is to help employees find friends and activities in Memphis that suit their hobbies and interests so that they begin to think of Memphis as their home while working at St. Jude, for however long that is. We're sorry that this was not your experience. Best of luck in your next career move!

7. 5.0

Great place to work

Feb 5, 2021 - Postdoctoral Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, mission driven, great technology

Cons

None that I can think of

Human Resources

Thanks so much for your review! We're glad that you spent some of your postdoctoral fellowship at St. Jude. Best of luck in your next career move.

8. 5.0

current job

Jan 12, 2021 - Postdoctoral Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits such as health insurance and retirement plan

Cons

The city is very rural and might be boring to live a non-scientific life

Human Resources

Thanks for leaving a review! We'd like to think that we take good care of our postdoctoral fellows, so it's great to see that you value the health insurance and retirement plans. While Memphis is a smaller metropolitan area than its coastal counterparts, it's still a large city with many amenities, most notably a thriving music and restaurant scene, quick access to outdoor activities, and a wide array of festivals year-round. While the pandemic has put a temporary halt to much of what makes Memphis a cultural landmark, there's still plenty to do outside of the lab. If you're having trouble finding activities, please email your postdoc recruiter and ask to be put in touch with Talent Acquisition within Human Resources. They'll help you out.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to be a postdoc

Mar 11, 2021 - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of resources for both your projects and for career development

Cons

Not a lot of urgency to get projects done

Human Resources

Thanks so much for accepting a postdoctoral position here at St. Jude! It is our hope that you continue to have access to great resources with which to do your best work. We are sorry to hear that projects are moving slowly. One of our core values is to work with urgency and purpose. If you feel that these values are not being upheld in your lab, please contact Employee Relations.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place

Dec 21, 2020 - Postdoctoral Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and salary here

Cons

I don’t see any problem

Human Resources

Thank you for choosing to spend your postdoctoral fellowship with us! We're happy to offer a very competitive postdoc salary and we hope that you'll have all of the resources that you need to continue to further your research career. Adjustment to a new city, especially during a pandemic, can be difficult, so please reach out to Human Resources if you need some help finding resources. Thank you!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 33 Reviews