KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing
Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great Perks!

Mar 16, 2021 - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone loves the company mission

Cons

Some employees lack motivation and drive

Human Resources

Thanks for your review and good luck in your next endeavor! We can't wait until it is safe to bring back all of the on-campus perks that we became accustomed to having!

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to be a postdoc

Mar 11, 2021 - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of resources for both your projects and for career development

Cons

Not a lot of urgency to get projects done

Human Resources

Thanks so much for accepting a postdoctoral position here at St. Jude! It is our hope that you continue to have access to great resources with which to do your best work. We are sorry to hear that projects are moving slowly. One of our core values is to work with urgency and purpose. If you feel that these values are not being upheld in your lab, please contact Employee Relations.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing commitment to St Jude mission and employees

Apr 30, 2020 - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude is totally dedicated to the health and safety of their patients. The resources available to patients and families are incredible. The St. Jude community is welcoming and everyone works together to achieve the goal of making childhood catastrophic diseases a thing of the past. There are great opportunities for networking, career growth, and professional development. It is a very supportive environment and there is an incredible diversity of people with a respect for the strengths and perspectives of others.

Cons

As a postdoctoral research fellow there are relatively limited opportunities to work with and mentor undergraduates (versus on a university campus).

Human Resources

Wow, thanks for listing so many wonderful pros! We appreciate that you have felt welcome and that your experiences have been so collaborative. We also are glad that you have recognized and been able to take advantage of networking and professional development. Our hope for our postdoc community is that they go on to do great things here or at another institution. You've brought up a great point: there are definitely less opportunities to mentor undergrads than there would be at a university. Part of that is maintaining security on campus, but this is something worth discussing further to see if there are possibilities of enacting some changes. Thank you.

4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great institution for postdocs

Aug 23, 2019 - Postdoctoral Research Fellow
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was a postdoc at St. Jude for a year-and-a-half. In the time I was there, I never once met anyone who wasn't friendly and helpful. They do a great job with their postdoc program including better pay and benefits than most academic institutions. Overall, St. Jude is a very special place that absolutely lives up to its reputation.

Cons

The biggest downside of working at St. Jude is the city of Memphis. This seems to be the biggest complaint of most of my co-workers. Obviously, there's not much that St. Jude can do about this.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. Our postdoc community is a vital part of our research and we are happy to offer great pay and benefits to all of you. Furthermore, it's great to hear that your experience lived up to St. Jude's reputation. Memphis is a growing city with some growing pains, but we urge our employees to learn more about Memphis by joining St. Jude Dinearounds, Memphis Mojo tours, and the St. Jude theater group. All are great ways to meet coworkers and connect with the city in exciting ways. Memphis is an integral part of St. Jude, as St. Jude is an integral part of Memphis, and employees with suggestions on how to improve newcomers' perception are welcome to contact Human Resources. Thank you again! We're glad to have had you!

5. 4.0

Postdoctoral Research Fellow

Mar 21, 2020 - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

salary and benefits are good

Cons

the city is too remote

Human Resources

Hello! Thank you for your review! We're glad that you are enjoying your benefits and salary while completing your postdoctoral research here at St. Jude! It's true that Memphis can feel "land-locked" to those that move here from coastal or larger cities. If you're looking for more things to do within driving distance of Memphis, please email Talent Acquisition! They'd be happy to help. Sign up for Memphis International Airport's mailing list to stay updated on the airport's massive renovations and flight additions so you can better find opportunities for affordable travel.

6. 5.0
    Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Great place to work, postdoc experience is lab dependent

Apr 27, 2019 - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Computer, $2500 allowance for career development, career development seminars

Cons

Some labs demand a 60-70 hour work week...not ideal for you women scientists starting families.

1 person found this review helpful

Talent Experience Advisor

Thank you for your review! We're glad that you enjoy the perks of being a postdoctoral research fellow at St. Jude. Our employees wishing to start families can schedule time with our Benefits team in order to make a plan that works best for their careers and continuing education, but most importantly, the health and finances of their families.

7. 3.0
    Current Employee

Same as other post-docs

Sep 25, 2008 - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

The mission of St Jude resonates through all we do ("No child should die in the dawn of life"). It makes me proud to be an employee. We have wonderful shared facilities and access to some of the best equipment. The Hartwell Center is one of the crown jewels. They are capable of running all chips, arrays, sequencing and doing macromolecular synthesis. The 2 imaging cores are very state of the art and run extremely well. We have a lot of collaboration within and between departments. The compensation is on par (or slightly below) taht of the NIH pay scale. Benefits are great, except for a lack of maternity leave.

Cons

Post-docs are not given any respect. There is no help for transition to the next step outside of individual PIs. Bad PIs still recruit with the help of the academic programs office. In fact, PIs that are known to be leaving have used academic programs to recruit people, only to leave within months of the new employee's arrival

6 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

great place to do your postdoctoral fellowship

Jan 27, 2014 - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

is a great place to be a postdoc, the average pay combined with the low cost of living makes your salary go far. All the fellow community is very friendly and you can send mass emails asking questions or asking for reagents and someone always answers. it is pretty cool.

Cons

it is in memphis. not such a cool city

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

It's a dream place for pediatric cancer treatments and researches.

Sep 21, 2018 - Postdoctoral Research Fellow
    Business Outlook

Pros

The work environment is awesome! The food is good! I like the relationships between patients and doctors in the hospital.

Cons

Sometimes it's too cold inside.

Recruiter

Thank you very much for the review. Thanks for the feedback - there is a half basketball court on the south side of campus but we will see what else we can do!! :)

10. 4.0

A Great Place to Work

Jun 3, 2012 - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

St Jude is a wonderful place to work. There are tons of benefits and it's a fairly laid back atmosphere. Unlike most postdoc positions, they don't expect people to work around the clock or burn themselves out in an effort to get results; that is, there's a fairly good emphasis on work-life balance. Additionally, there are tons of funds and resources, so monetary concerns are nearly nonexistant.

Cons

The atmosphere is far too political.

1 person found this review helpful