Find jobs for Project Manager

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing
Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Made changes to adapt

Sep 30, 2021 - Project Manager in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Like all companies, St. Jude was forced to make lots of changes during the pandemic and they really tried hard to adapt to employee needs and concerns while also keeping our mission at the forefront. Most recently our Resilience Center added a new staff member, canine Rosalie, to encourage employees during these trying, ever-changing times.

Cons

Lots of changes in the past 18 months and sometimes it’s hard to adjust to the new norm.

Human Resources

Thank you so much for your review! We're glad that you had the opportunity to meet Rosalie, our newest staff member dedicated to employee health and wellbeing. We're hoping that when times get "ruff," she can help out. Forced changes have made us a more adaptable institution but have been difficult as employees are asked to pivot among projects and priorities to keep our campus, and our patients, safe. Thank you for being a valuable part of our mission and helping us grow.

2. 5.0
    Current Contractor

Good Environment

Dec 5, 2020 - Project Manager in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, good people, excellent benefits

Cons

Work too much, sometimes have to work overtime

Human Resources

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a review. We're glad to have you on board during such a strange time. It's our hope that the hours you work are pursuant to your contract with St. Jude. Please contact HR if you need their assistance.

3. 5.0

The best place to be

Apr 29, 2020 - Project Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong, caring, and rational leadership during the pandemic crisis. Transparency with employees over reasons for decisions and strong communication throughout. Meaningful mission with true commitment. Incredibly talented employees. It's been amazing to watch so many people step up and go the extra mile during this time, and I'm not just talking about the health care staff. I'm talking all of the "administrative" workers from IT, to HR, to finance, and beyond. I feel blessed to be able to work at St. Jude.

Cons

We still have some "because we've always done it that way" thinking, but it seems to be getting better. People who come to St. Jude usually stay for a long time, so it can be difficult to promote up the chain.

Human Resources

This is a wonderful and constructive review to read! The way our employees have stepped up to assist with response efforts has been nothing short of awe-inspiring. It is likely that the St. Jude we see after this crisis will be very different than the St. Jude of before, but what will remain the same is our devotion to our mission. Thank you again!

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

A noble mission with incredible employee benefits

Oct 21, 2019 - Project Manager in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

The mission will tug at your heart strings and can help you find motivation to do your best work. The employee salary and benefits for a non-profit are incomparable, and you won't find better anywhere else.

Cons

Sometimes employees can exhibit a sense of entitlement and this can decrease morale.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Although we are a non-profit, we try very hard to match industry salaries best we can and often succeed. Thank you for recognizing our efforts! With the creation of Leadership Academy, Leadership Squared, and Leading Through Influence, we are confident that we can help our employees become motivational and communicative leaders. Thank you for your sincere review. We're glad to have you here!

5. 4.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

review of working at st. jude

Jul 23, 2019 - Project Manager in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Being part of the mission of St Jude is an amazing feeling. Campus is beautiful Good colleagues

Cons

A little too siloed

Talent Experience Advisor

Thanks for taking the time to recognize the campus! We are very proud of its designation as a Level 2 arboretum and hope to continue to improve the campus as we grow. Thanks for your words of encouragement!

6. 5.0

Meaningful Mission and People who Care

Apr 24, 2019 - Project Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Best mission ever - save children's lives regardless of who they are, what they believe, the color or their skin, and whether or not their parents can pay. What mission could possibly be more inspiring? Despite (or maybe because of) being a non-profit, St. Jude has an attitude of doing what it takes to get results. This means they don't skimp on cutting edge technology and that philosophy trickles down to non-research areas. We get the tools we need. The key words there are "tools" and "needs". My department is very aware our budgets come from donor dollars so we aren't frivolous, but we do make sure people have what they need to get their work done. Dr. Downing (our CEO) makes many/regular opportunities to communicate our strategies, goals, and progress. He isn't afraid to discuss ideas and answer questions. He is also open to explaining the reasoning behind our strategic plan. There is a lot of change going on, it's exciting.

Cons

Quality o f management is inconsistent across departments, resulting in pockets of low morale and low engagement. There are ongoing attempts to improve this situations , for example, they started a "Leadership Academy" for managers as well as directors, but it will take time to know whether or not it has helped. Due to fast growth, our cubicle/office space is TINY - also St. Jude puts it money where it's important - into spaces for patients and their families. If you are a person who wants a large office or large cubicle, you won't find it here - but we have great outdoor space and an awesome cafeteria. There is a lot of change going on , it's a little overwhelming.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Hello! Thank you so much for your comprehensive and thoughtful review. We are very proud that you've acknowledged Dr. Downing's communicative nature; we are fortunate that he is open to questions and new ideas. We also appreciate that you take the time to point out where our shortcomings are, but most importantly why. The patient and family areas are our most important spaces. Change can be great, but it is overwhelming. Continue to take care of yourself as you help us in our mission. Thank you!

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Really impressive so far!

Apr 10, 2019 - Project Manager in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, compensation, benefits and mission!

Cons

None that I have seen so far

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Thanks so much for taking a moment to review us! We're glad you've found camaraderie here at St. Jude. We agree; the mission can't be beat! Keep up the excellent work!

8. 5.0

Great place to work!!

Jan 15, 2018 - Project Manager in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, Great people. It is more than just a place of employment for people at St Jude. It is a philosophy we all believe in, Finding cures, Saving children!

Cons

Location: Memphis TN, is not the most desireable place to live in US. It is a city with high crime and limited opportunities. Education systems in this area is not the best which makes it hard to raise a family there.

2 people found this review helpful

Recruiter

Thanks for reviewing your employment experience so far at St. Jude! We are so glad that you love the mission and the people. The concerns you raise in your "Cons" section regarding living in Memphis, TN are a lot of what people hear before moving to Memphis. It is what we see in the news and what we assume based on the geographical location of this city. However, once people arrive in Memphis and get settled we have seen that, more often than not, they end up loving it. As in most cities, the crime your review alludes to is in pockets and not spread out across the entire metropolitan area. There are some fantastic schools in the city of Memphis. The public school system is an area where Memphis has grown over the last 5 years and where we are continuing to grow as a city. The culture of this city is very vibrant and the food is phenomenal. We have found that people who leave Memphis in search of a more thriving metropolitan environment often find their way back here, realizing it has many of the cultural benefits and diversity of a big city while still feeling like a tight-knit community with its own little quirks and traditions. Our objective in focusing on and combating this viewpoint is not just so we can attract more talent to come work at St. Jude, but because we truly believe that Memphis is a fantastic place to live and work. Thank you again for your review and we hope that Memphis grows on you as it has for the many of us who have transplanted to the "Bluff City".

9. 5.0

Project Manager II

Oct 16, 2017 - Senior Project Manager in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Talented coworkers Participation in St. Jude Children's Research Hospital mission Great benefits Community's support of St. Jude

Cons

The industry is highly regulated

Recruiter

Thank you for your review.

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

If you can't find motivation to work hard here...

Dec 8, 2016 - Project Manager in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly culture overall, as we are reminded of the suffering of the patients and their families, our own challenges seem petty.

Cons

Culture outside of the overall, across departments, varies. Many are very warm, encouraging, and positive, others are less so.

Recruiter

Thanks for your review and feedback. So glad you are enjoying your position with St. Jude!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 Reviews