KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing
Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Great Company

Nov 18, 2021 - Registered Nurse
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company's mission. Work/life balance. Benefits

Cons

None to mention at this time

Human Resources

Thank you so much for all that you do. Nursing is incredibly difficult right now and we are grateful that you have dedicated over ten years to our patients.

2. 2.0
    Former Employee

Great Organization for Cancer Treatment - NOT advancement

Nov 20, 2021 - ICU Registered Nurse in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay, great work for LGBTQ+, women, and minorities

Cons

Lack of opportunities for advancement, Racism/Sexism in promoting, questionable hiring practices, lack of transparency

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Would you consider contacting the employee relations team to discuss your experience? Even as a former employee, the team would love to be made aware of some details. The Office of Diversity and Inclusion was formed to combat actions like this and assist teams in learning more about racial biases in hiring. While we appreciate you pointing out that LGBTQ+ employees have great opportunities here, no employee should be made to feel that they don't have equality in the workplace.

3. 5.0

Rewarding work

Oct 7, 2021 - RN Auditor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Whatever your position is at St. Jude, we all work toward the same goal. Most all employees are fully dedicated to the company mission.

Cons

St. Jude has grown quite large and sometimes we can feel siloed in our departments.

Human Resources

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your 10+ years of service to our patients, staff, and mission.

4. 2.0

Proceed with caution

Sep 7, 2021 - Registered Nurse
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are really good and affordable

Cons

Management does not have a good repore with staff.Things go unheard and unaddressed. Massive turnover happening.Many employees leaving.Retention is not important.

4 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for speaking up about your situation. We know it is an incredibly difficult time to be working as a nurse. We are working to bring in as many more nurses as possible to ease the burden on you and your colleagues. Please consider speaking to Employee Relations and voicing your concerns so that we can look into it. If you would like to learn more about what we are doing to hire and retain clinical staff, please contact the director of talent acquisition. Finally, if you feel comfortable doing so, email the SVP of HR. You have our word that she, as a member of executive leadership, will listen to your concerns. This is a rough time to be in healthcare and we are working diligently to find solutions. Thank you for sticking with us for over ten years.

5. 5.0

Inpatient nurse

Aug 24, 2021 - Registered Nurse
    Business Outlook

Pros

Job satisfaction, benefits, education opportunities

Cons

Stress, sick children, long hours

Human Resources

Thank you for leaving us a review! As a nurse, we know that you are being faced with unprecedented challenges in your career. We are very proud, and very fortunate, to have so many dedicated members of our nursing teams. If you have not yet done so, please consider contacting the Resilience Center or the Employee Assistance Program. Both can help you with your stress and provide referrals if you need additional care. Thank you for your dedication to our children.

6. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Nurses are dispensable and it shows

Aug 12, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are great, most team mates believe in our mission and have a passion for pediatric oncology. Unit managers are mostly great. Somewhat flexible scheduling in some departments. Diversity is a focus.

Cons

Lots of changes have happened in the last 3 years to move away from being a unique and wonderful place to work and more toward a generic, typical hospital setting. St. Jude used to have a very nice night shift differential, but that was significantly decreased not long ago. I recently learned a nurse that started less than a year ago makes 12.5% more than me per hour (without her differential) and I’ve worked at the institution for years and have advanced the clinical advancement program offered (multiple certifications, trained countless employees, etc). Pediatric oncology isn’t always an easy field to work in and it’s quite a slap in the face to learn how much more new employees are being laid compared to long haulers. Administration (not direct managers, they’re wonderful) seems to put a lot of faith in the “there’s no place like St. Jude” reputation, which is reflected in the attitude of long term employees being disposable/replaceable with new hires.

3 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We’re glad that you enjoy your team and that you’ve recognized diversity as a focus of this institution. Most importantly, however, we’d like to look further into your situation. Internal equity is in place to properly compensate those that have been here a long time as well as those that seek advanced degrees and education relative to others on their same team or within the department. Please consider talking to Employee Relations so that they can look into this as well as further explain the reasons behind the shift differential changes. Reviews are anonymous, but if you feel comfortable contacting Employee Relations, they can possibly assist you. If you have questions about your own career trajectory, contact the compensation team for information and guidance. Thank you for your willingness to speak up and thank you for your 10+ years of dedication to the patients of St. Jude.

7. 5.0

Love it

Aug 2, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Birmingham, AL
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are great to work for

Cons

Short staffed most of the time

Human Resources

Thanks for your review! Owing to a global pandemic, many hospital systems and practices are experiencing a shortage of clinicians, including nursing staff. We do know that it's a difficult time to work in patient care. We hope you have resources, family, and friends in place to help you keep your head above water as you sacrifice tirelessly for your patients. It is our wish that as the pandemic hopefully slows down, nurses around the country will get a reprieve. For those employed by St. Jude and working remote in Birmingham, please consider utilizing our COVID-19 resources, available on the homepage, or our Resilience Center for assistance.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place but..

Aug 9, 2021 - Registered Nurse, BSN in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude is doing an awesome job in providing cancer treatment and research for the future. Great nurse to patients ratio. Supportive coworkers. Great benefits among other hospitals.

Cons

Coming from another big institution, it is pretty clear that the higher up is trying to change what makes St. Jude great and unique in term of nursing and patient care into a generic hospital. Higher up management does not listen to nurse's voice. As proven by never following through with their promises when they come to ask for our opinion. Nursing in the middle of pandemic is hard as it is, and not a lot of support from the higher up to retain current loyal employees. Not a lot of nursing autonomy at St. Jude compare to others.

2 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Hi! Thank you for your feedback. Your passion for your job is clear, and we are so glad that someone as passionate as you is at St. Jude looking after our patients. We are glad that you have support within your team, too. Nursing during a pandemic is extremely difficult and we know that you need as much support as you can get. If you think you would benefit from speaking to someone, please consider contacting Employee Relations or the Employee Assistance Program. If you feel comfortable doing so, please consider speaking with your designated nurse manager and finding a time for you both to speak to your director about some of the issues you have noticed. We certainly do not want to alienate our devoted nursing staff, who have exhibited nothing but grace and composure throughout a very uncertain time. Finally, if you would like to speak to someone outside of nursing, you can email our SVP of HR directly who is always willing to assist an employee. Thank you again for your hard work.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing Workplace

May 5, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude offers amazing benefits not including the competive pay they have for nurses! Management and staff are always mission focused and overall a positive atmosphere for everyone!

Cons

Downside is sometimes it's hard when their is a death and further support and resources could help alleviate the mental/emotional drain that it takes on the staff that care for patients and families

Human Resources

What wonderful words and suggestions to hear from one of our nursing staff! Thank you so much. As we prepare to welcome a new cohort of nurse externs (and shortly, a new cohort of nurse residents!), it's important that we listen to our current staff and learn what would be best to retain our staff for years to come. Please continue to pass along suggestions to your managers or, if you think they wouldn't be welcomed or heard, to our clinical recruiter or another member of Human Resources. Continue to take care of yourself, and remember that the Resilience Center is always here should you need emotional support. Additionally, we have added an LCSW to the staff at the onsite clinic, should you need specialized care. Thank you for your kind words and dedication and love you have for our patients.

10. 5.0

Working

Mar 31, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hours about the sea or not

Cons

People the Red Sea know think

Human Resources

Hi! Thanks for your review. While we're bad at decoding, we're very good at helping employees, so if there is anything that you need, please contact HR.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 36 Reviews