St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews

Updated May 5, 2020

4.6
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing
Pros
  • "Mission-focused work, supported with regular feedback by leadership, great benefits(in 66 reviews)

• "To work with a great TEAM has truly been a great place to work(in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are no cons of working here(in 39 reviews)

• "Located downtown and so many people live in the suburbs(in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Music Therapist

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

St. Jude provides a positive and diverse work environment that is dedicated to care for its employees. I love coming to work every day and seeing my coworkers provide exceptional service.

Cons

Due to the varied and complex needs of the patients treated at St. Jude, the work requires a high level of emotional intelligence. As a clinician working closely with patients and families, I have to make sure I am taking great care of myself as well as taking great care of patients and families.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital2019-11-01

November 5, 2019

Hello! What a thoughtful review to receive! We are delighted that you enjoy coming to work and recognize the care that your team provides for our patients. We also admire you for recognizing that you need to take care of yourself, too. Being around children with pediatric illnesses can be taxing on our clinicians' emotional health. Please remember our Resilience Center and Living Well program if you find yourself in need of specialized care. Thank you for taking time out of a busy schedule to leave a review!

2. "I've never felt so valued as an employee, as I do at St. Jude."

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pros of working here cannot simply be summed up in one review, but I'll give it a shot. -Our Mission -Salary -Communication from management and our CEO -Excellent time off and retirement benefits -Fantastic Insurance Plan -The Best Co-workers, which really are like family

Cons

As far as cons, I can't say anything about St. Jude itself. I wasn't too keen on moving to Memphis at first; I wouldn't have even put it on my top 20 cities to move to. However, once arriving in Memphis, I've found it a lot nicer and safer than statistics show. Not to mention, the cost of living is impeccable.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital2020-05-01

May 4, 2020Human Resources

Welcome to Memphis! We're very glad that you're enjoying the city so far, but disappointed that you're missing out on your first Memphis in May festivals! Please join the "New to Memphis" Yammer group if you haven't already, if you need some suggestions or guidance. Thank you for your recognition of so many of our benefits. We hope that you'll enjoy them for many years to come!

3. "Amazing commitment to St Jude mission and employees"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Memphis, TN

Pros

St. Jude is totally dedicated to the health and safety of their patients. The resources available to patients and families are incredible. The St. Jude community is welcoming and everyone works together to achieve the goal of making childhood catastrophic diseases a thing of the past. There are great opportunities for networking, career growth, and professional development. It is a very supportive environment and there is an incredible diversity of people with a respect for the strengths and perspectives of others.

Cons

As a postdoctoral research fellow there are relatively limited opportunities to work with and mentor undergraduates (versus on a university campus).

May 1, 2020Human Resources

Wow, thanks for listing so many wonderful pros! We appreciate that you have felt welcome and that your experiences have been so collaborative. We also are glad that you have recognized and been able to take advantage of networking and professional development. Our hope for our postdoc community is that they go on to do great things here or at another institution. You've brought up a great point: there are definitely less opportunities to mentor undergrads than there would be at a university. Part of that is maintaining security on campus, but this is something worth discussing further to see if there are possibilities of enacting some changes. Thank you.

4. "I'm in my 19th year of employment and it feels like 5!"

Current Employee - Clinical Dietitian in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Having the opportunity to work with the children and their families is the most rewarding aspect of my job. I often tell families I am here to walk this journey beside them and to help them make sure their child grows - sounds cliché, but is true.

Cons

Some days are tough - when a family receives bad news it affects us all.

May 4, 2020Human Resources

Hello! It doesn't sound cliche at all! We are happy that our patients and their families have someone like you to share their journey. Thank you for being so sensitive to the needs of our kids and being an ally in their fight!

5. "St. Jude Cares About Employees"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Memphis, TN

Pros

Dedicated, motivated, caring, saving children

Cons

Can be stressful at times

May 1, 2020Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We agree that the mission of "Finding Cures. Saving Children." is a definite pro and should always be at the forefront of our operations. Your work as a CRA is valuable and wonderful and we appreciate your service of over 10 years!

6. "Amazing Opportunity"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Memphis, TN

Pros

Highlights include a collaborative environment, a feeling of community encouraged by the adminstration, ample equipment and materials to complete a project successfully, emphasis on creative solutions, and support for new ideas

Cons

Parking can be tight sometimes, but we do have free parking on campus and new parking structures coming. As with all jobs, sometimes there is so much to do you wonder how you will get it done, but work-life balance is encouraged. The biggest issue is the driving sense of mission you will develop vs only 24 hours in a day!

May 1, 2020Human Resources

Thank you so much for your dedication to St. Jude. When you mention only 24 hours in a day as a con, we know that means that you treasure your work very much. Thanks for your devotion, creativity, and continued contributions to the patients of St. Jude!

7. "Most welcoming workplace"

Current Employee - Bioinformatics Software Engineer in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

During global pandemic situation, the company has taken care of all essential and non-essential staff, making sure everyone feel safe and secure. Upper management is transparent and flexible with policies.

Cons

There are no cons for St. Jude.

May 1, 2020Human Resources

Hello! Thank you for praising St. Jude's response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Your safety, and that of your family, friends, and coworkers, is of great importance to us. We were glad to alter policies to protect your health and will continue to monitor the situation. Thank you for being flexible with us as we adapt to a new normal!

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Systems Software Analyst/Developer in Memphis, TN

Pros

Work-life balance, research opportunities, education and training opportunities, working for a mission, great working culture and benefits, resilience and living well programs for employees mental and physical well-being, great senior management that motivates and inspires employees through their work.

Cons

Haven't faced any con's since I joined St. Jude.

May 1, 2020Human Resources

Hi! Thanks for leaving us a review. It's fantastic that you mentioned our resilience program for our employees. Your mental health is vital to you doing your best work at work and being your best self at home, and we are thrilled that we are able to offer our employees this extra support. Continue to take care of yourself and thank you for being a part of our mission!

9. "The best place to work for"

Current Employee - Research Scientist

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

the best place you can imagine to do research. Opportunities to use advanced core facilities and infrastructures. Fantastic place to work for.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons. Love working for St. Jude

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital2020-04-29

April 29, 2020Human Resources

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We're glad that you enjoy wonderful support and access to resources. Your work in research is so valuable to not just our patients, but our mission. Thank you for your dedication of nearly ten years to St. Jude!

10. "The best place to be"

Current Employee - Project Manager

Pros

Strong, caring, and rational leadership during the pandemic crisis. Transparency with employees over reasons for decisions and strong communication throughout. Meaningful mission with true commitment. Incredibly talented employees. It's been amazing to watch so many people step up and go the extra mile during this time, and I'm not just talking about the health care staff. I'm talking all of the "administrative" workers from IT, to HR, to finance, and beyond. I feel blessed to be able to work at St. Jude.

Cons

We still have some "because we've always done it that way" thinking, but it seems to be getting better. People who come to St. Jude usually stay for a long time, so it can be difficult to promote up the chain.

May 1, 2020Human Resources

This is a wonderful and constructive review to read! The way our employees have stepped up to assist with response efforts has been nothing short of awe-inspiring. It is likely that the St. Jude we see after this crisis will be very different than the St. Jude of before, but what will remain the same is our devotion to our mission. Thank you again!

Found 685 reviews