St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews

Updated May 5, 2021

4.6
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing
Pros
  • "Great benefits such as health insurance and retirement plan(in 72 reviews)

• "great place to work with benefits(in 63 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The only negative I can say is the location in downtown Memphis(in 15 reviews)

• "The existence of childhood cancer(in 11 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

St. Jude is the best place that I have ever worked!

Dec 8, 2020 - Business Operations in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude is on the cutting edge of technology and always mindful of what they can do to provide better resources for all of us to do our best work. They recognize that access to resources and advanced technology helps us continue each of our contributions to the mission of "Finding cures. Saving children." St. Jude launched a novel COVID-19 testing strategy back in the spring where employees access campus with an app that screens them for symptoms and then informs them if they're due for a nasal swab that day. All of us are tested at least once a week, and many of us are tested more often if we have patient contact. The thought and commitment to patient and employee safety that went into this testing protocol is more proof of how much St. Jude values everyone's health and safety. Coming to campus feels secure. Thanks to our testing, St. Jude is one of the safest places in Memphis. Also, they've helped us parents a lot with childcare during the pandemic. My family is so grateful We also have some incredible benefits and perks here! Our medical insurance is so affordable, and now we have an onsite clinic and pharmacy for employees so I don't ever have to worry about booking a doctor appointment that takes up half my day just to get a quick prescription or something. I love that we have an onsite gym that has fueled us throughout the pandemic with virtual classes and individual challenges we can do at home (the plank challenge got me to a 4-minute plank!). Unfortunately, we don't have our holiday events this year, but St. Jude has still managed to organize a drive-through lights display on campus for employees and their families. I'm hopeful that after the pandemic, other perks like massage services, daily food trucks, and mobile car-washing will start again. I've felt very supported and valued while working here and throughout the pandemic. Highly recommend

Cons

A couple years ago, parking was starting to be a problem. We had a lot of growth and all the new people made parking a little crazy. Memphis is the type city that pretty much requires that we have a personal vehicle, so taking a bus wasn't really an option. The cafeteria was also getting packed with patients, families, and all of the employees. I think everyone likes the idea of dining in the same facilities (and our food is actually great), but the crowds were a lot. When the pandemic happened, the cafeteria wasn't an option for a lot of us that don't work in clinical areas. Tons of us started to work from home. The parking problem kinda disappeared and I'm sure the cafeteria is less crowded. So this isn't a con, but I hope that our leadership continues to see the benefits of some of our workforce working from home, at least some of the time. With parking and cafeteria crowding solved, we can focus our efforts elsewhere.

Human Resources

Wow! What a great review to read! Thank you for your insight and thoughtfulness when writing your review. We're glad that you're enjoying the benefits and we agree that it will be nice to have some of our onsite perks return in the future. Thank you for mentioning the COVID-19 testing; it is integral to keeping our patients and their families safe by doing everything possible to keep the virus off of the St. Jude campus. Please stay tuned for announcements regarding a continuation of the work from home program. Thank you again for your hard work, your dedication to St. Jude, and the time you've taken to leave us a review.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing Workplace

May 5, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude offers amazing benefits not including the competive pay they have for nurses! Management and staff are always mission focused and overall a positive atmosphere for everyone!

Cons

Downside is sometimes it's hard when their is a death and further support and resources could help alleviate the mental/emotional drain that it takes on the staff that care for patients and families

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place to work

Apr 21, 2021 - Clinical Trial Coverage Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall a great place to work. I love my job, benefits, and our CEO!

Cons

Managers do not have to make the job harder than what it is, by making snide remarks, making people feel as though they do not know what they are doing, speaking in a condescending way, and having favorites in the department (when it is clearly seen). There is really no way to evaluate managers so that their boss is aware. There is no career ladder.

Human Resources

Hi! Thank you for your candid review. The actions you are describing are not in line with St. Jude's values. While it's wonderful to read that you love your job, it sounds like there is room for improvement in your quality of life while working here. Would you consider contacting Employee Relations to discuss this matter further? Concerning the career ladder for your department: please contact the Compensation team. They can share you the career ladder for your department and discuss available options. The Learning & Development team can also assist you with upward mobility and next steps. We look forward to assisting you if you feel comfortable reaching out.

4. 5.0

Fantastic!

Apr 28, 2021 - Postdoctoral Fellow in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture and mission are very valuable in a very supportive environment.

Cons

I did not notice any yet.

Human Resources

Hi! Thanks for your review! We're so glad that you are surrounded by so much support. Thank you for working on your postdoc here at St. Jude; our postdoc community is integral to great research.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Excellent workplace

Apr 29, 2021 - Nurse Practitioner
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mission Statement, leadership, and benefits

Cons

I can't think of any

Human Resources

Hi! Thanks for your review! We are so glad that you're enjoying you work here at St. Jude.

6. 5.0

Great place to work!

Apr 23, 2021 - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of collaboration and most people have a friendly/nice disposition.

Cons

I have no cons to report

Human Resources

Thanks so much for choosing St. Jude for your postdoc! Good luck with your work! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review.

7. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Harassment/ Bully

Mar 19, 2021 - Patient Service Representative in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, Mission, Pay, CEO, Facilites.

Cons

This is regarding Patient services department ( Target House). Management at this place is legit, the worse to deal with. They have a very bad habit of practicing Harrasment towards employees and even families that are staying in housing facility. Lots of bullying from the leads for this place. In addition, no appreciation for your really hard effort while manager sits all day in office, barking orders. I guess, too lazy to get up and check on staff when the lead barks to you on the radio to snap pictures of your work instead . Lots of discouraged/ fed up employees with this treatment. Demanding change for future employees to have a peaceful work environment. Hope you know that no employee is truly at peace with this hateful environment. Even the ones protecting this place are terrorized by leads .

2 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We will forward this to Employee Relations for appropriate follow-up. Would you consider speaking with Employee Relations about your circumstances? We would very much appreciate the additional insight. St. Jude does not permit or condone any form of retaliation for the good faith reporting of a wrongdoing or for participating in a compliance investigation. No adverse action(s) will be taken against such persons for making reports in good faith. Our Learning and Development team has two leadership programs in place, Leadership Academy and Leadership Squared, to help our managers and directors become more effective leaders. Moving forward, we hope to equip all of those in supervisory roles with the tools to be highly communicative, collaborative, and transparent managers.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

great place to work

Apr 21, 2021 - Nutrition Assistant in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

great people, always kind faces, easy to talk to

Cons

I have no negative comments towards this facility

Human Resources

Hi! Thank you for your review. We're so glad that you are enjoying your work here at St. Jude. Our nutrition team is so valuable to the health of our patients and we appreciate all that you do.

9. 5.0

Awesome place to work

Apr 22, 2021 - Administration in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

employee appreciation, commitment to development

Cons

no cons working at St. Jude

Human Resources

Hi! Thanks for your review. We're glad that you feel appreciated as one of our valued employees! If you have ideas for how we can better serve our workforce, please contact Human Resources and let us know. Thank you!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good

Apr 21, 2021 - Manager in Westminster, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very friendly environment to work at

Cons

nothing to complain. It's stressful since it's related to healthcare.

Human Resources

It is a very stressful time to work in healthcare, but thanks to the dedication of employees like you, St. Jude is able to continue our mission. Thank you so much for all that you do.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 814 Reviews