St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 15, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They also have a great work/life balance as they say you should never take work home with you" (in 29 reviews)

• "Great benefits, collaborative environment, supportive leadership" (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are no cons working at St" (in 22 reviews)

• "There are not really cons to working for St" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Truly a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I can say that they have the BEST medical/dental/vision insurance policies of any organization where I've worked, in Memphis. The Administration at SJ really wants all employees to have work/life balance. To assist employees with this, they have a first class gym, on campus, with free membership to all employees. They offer group exercise programs or, you may choose to take an afternoon bike ride with other employees. And, the best surprise of all, we will occasionally receive "additional" days off on major holidays. Since Christmas is on a Monday this year (2017) we were also given the Friday prior as an additional holiday. And, they just increased the amount of vacation you get!

Cons

Wow, I cannot think of any cons about working at SJ. When I first began working at SJ, it sometimes would upset me if I saw a sick child. Now, after fully understanding the mission and seeing the ongoing efforts the doctors and researchers, I know SJ is the BEST place for the children facing these challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Sep 11, 2017 – Recruiter

Wow, thank you so much for your incredible review. We thank you for your dedication to our mission. Keep up the great work!

2. "Pbx Operators"

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely adored my PBX supervisor whom i had while there. I miss my coworkers. Due to a family situation i haf to leave immediately and never said bye.. The environment at SJCRH is absolutely amazing and warm. You feel like family. Starbucks all over. Decent kay cafe. I enjoyed just sitting outside CCC it was so pleasant.

Cons

I had no cons

Advice to Management

None at all

3. "This is a researcher's paradise"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can move your research forward faster here.
    You can find a mentor who cares about your success.
    You can get training for anything you want to master.
    There are so many brilliant people here to network with.
    The benefits are great.

Cons

The breakfast is cheap, so you can gain weight.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

4. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Biomedical Engineer in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Biomedical Engineer in Memphis, TN

Pros

Culture, employee engagement, mission, fair compensation, opportunity for growth, amenities

Cons

working downtown while living in the suburbs

Aug 7, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for the review and all of your hard work!

5. "Great Place to Work"

Pros

They have excellent benefits. They also have many events, food trucks for lunch, and many other ammentities that are not only accessible to the patients, but to the employees as well. They also have a great work/life balance as they say you should never take work home with you. This is an excellent boundary to have!

Cons

The orientation/onboarding process is very unstructured and it seemed very difficult to acquire all of the things/ get in contact with people related for my position. It was eventually all figured out, but the process was a little stressful. Once it was completely resolved, however, it was no longer a stressor.

6. "Nice place to work!"

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Good Benefits and work life balance

Cons

Limited growth opportunities for experienced employees

7. "Software Developer"

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best benefits and work \ life balance. Takes care of employees very well. Non stressful jobs. Top management always makes sure employees are motivated towards the St. Jude mission. St. Jude mission itself is ultimate.

Cons

Most of the managers have raised to that position with in the institution or from local schools with minimal to no experience, which lacks managerial skills.

Only best place to work in Memphis, If you have a spouse looking for opportunities very limited to no options.

More coordination between departments and teams needed

Not an ideal institution for IT career

Advice to Management

Be open to rotation of new blood from out side Memphis and spend extra bucks for mainly managerial roles with experience. Only than we can have cutting edge technology in IT.

"Coordinator"

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Great benefits and work environment. I really like the collaboration environment. The most rewarding aspect of working at St. Jude is that we get an opportunity to see the children and family members. This remind us of why it is so important to give 100% and above.

Cons

If you are an internal candidate and qualify for an open position, HR recruiters are more apt not to submit your application to the hiring manager, but give preference to external candidates.

Jul 16, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review. We love that you love the team-oriented and mission-focused environment in which you work! We are sorry to hear that you feel you cannot move internally. The Talent... More

9. "Great place to researchers"

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

job security and research support

Cons

location, limited career progress as a researcher in general

Jul 30, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! Unfortunately, difficult mobility is something we hear sometimes from the research areas. This is mainly because research projects can be vastly different from one another... More

10. "Great Employer"

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Great benefits and decent pay. You get a lot of corporate amenities without all the corporate red tape.

Cons

There isn’t much upward mobility in a career once you get here. People never leave so it’s hard to move up.

Jul 16, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! Our employees do have long tenures at St. Jude, because it is such a great place to work. But, that doesn't mean that there are never positions available. We will be... More