St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The Administration at SJ really wants all employees to have work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Great benefits, low living cost (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • There are no cons in my job position (in 19 reviews)

• There are not really cons to working for St (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Truly a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I can say that they have the BEST medical/dental/vision insurance policies of any organization where I've worked, in Memphis. The Administration at SJ really wants all employees to have work/life balance. To assist employees with this, they have a first class gym, on campus, with free membership to all employees. They offer group exercise programs or, you may choose to take an afternoon bike ride with other employees. And, the best surprise of all, we will occasionally receive "additional" days off on major holidays. Since Christmas is on a Monday this year (2017) we were also given the Friday prior as an additional holiday. And, they just increased the amount of vacation you get!

Cons

Wow, I cannot think of any cons about working at SJ. When I first began working at SJ, it sometimes would upset me if I saw a sick child. Now, after fully understanding the mission and seeing the ongoing efforts the doctors and researchers, I know SJ is the BEST place for the children facing these challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Sep 11, 2017 – Recruiter

Wow, thank you so much for your incredible review. We thank you for your dedication to our mission. Keep up the great work!

2. "Great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, Great people.
    It is more than just a place of employment for people at St Jude. It is a philosophy we all believe in, Finding cures, Saving children!

Cons

Location: Memphis TN, is not the most desireable place to live in US. It is a city with high crime and limited opportunities. Education systems in this area is not the best which makes it hard to raise a family there.

3. "Student Review"

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Access to cutting edge science.

Cons

I have yet to find any major cons.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. I have been very satisfied.

Thank you!

"Perfect place to enhance and cultivate your career!"

Pros

So many opportunities and St. Jude allows and encourages innovative ideas and at the same time a lot of flexibility for home-life balance. I have been here 9 years and I have been able to advance my career through networking and furthering training/education inside and outside of the institution. I have had great bosses here at St. Jude---understanding and caring. So many amenities are offered as well as fantastic benefits. It is amazing to be in such a medical mecca with so much going on in the healthcare arena here. Also, you can't beat the low cost of living in Memphis, especially in a city with lots to do and with so much southern hospitality. Can't beat the barbeque anywhere in the world!

Cons

I disagree about Memphis not being a good place to raise children! Memphis is my home. I was raised her and have raised 3 children here and I think Memphis is a wonderful place to raise children---as long as they have wonderful parents to guide them.

Advice to Management

I appreciate all efforts to help make St. Jude such a great place to work. Thank you!

Jan 4, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review and for your 9 years of service at St. Jude! It is so great to hear that you love working here and are proud to call Memphis "home".

"St Jude Chidlren's Research Hospital"

Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at St. Jude over 10 years and it's the best place I've ever worked. The benefits are great, the respect from senior management is visible and felt everyday--from walking the halls with us to listening to and encouraging ideas from any and all staff members. Recognition and rewards are a high priority at St. Jude--for a job well done as well as for activities in the community (volunteers, races, etc.) St. Jude has truly been a blessing to my life.

Cons

The campus is growing every day! Parking is sometimes an issue and getting from one side of the 60+ acre campus to the other for meetings can be a challenge. But I look at it as a way to get my Activity Points/Steps in, to help me stay healthy--which is also encouraged here!

Advice to Management

Management--Keep up the Good Work! And continue with the model that each employee is a valued ally in making St. Jude a great place.

Dec 12, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear how much you love working for St. Jude. As the campus grows we also grow in parking spaces, it just takes time to build our parking structures. It... More

"Making a difference every day in the lives of others"

Current Employee - Licensed Clinical Social Worker in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Licensed Clinical Social Worker in Memphis, TN

Pros

Best part of working at St Jude is being part of a wonderful mission to find cures and save children and share that knowledge with the world. The hospital administration really cares about its employees and values the work we do. The culture is one of excellence and pride in our work. The benefits are exceptional. I am very proud to have worked for St Jude for nearly 18 years and it is only getting better.

Cons

Sometimes it can be sad work as unfortunately we still lose some of our patients, but I am able to cope by knowing that everyone here is doing the very best we can to take care of the patients and families. The cure rates are getting better all the time and the scientists and doctors will not stop until they are 100%. The families feel better knowing that by bring their children here they have given them every chance possible to save their lives.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work- kudos to our CEO!

Dec 12, 2017 – Recruiter

Wow! Thank you for your thoughtful review and your almost 18 years of service! You're right, it is hard to see patients suffer sometimes, but the fact that what the employees of St. Jude do is... More

7. "Senior Scientist (11 years at St. Jude)"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Memphis, TN

Pros

We have a CEO that is amazing with a high degree if integrity. Dr. Downing has made a concerted effort to incorporate employee suggestions. He cares about the patients AND his employees. St. Jude benefits are fantastic especially the health insurance that has a deductible less than $100. Work/life balance is important here. I love our mission.

Cons

There are no cons to working at St. Jude other than getting promoted can be challenging so negotiate your salary and position before accepting the job. The quality of life in Memphis has dramatically improved the past ten years here in the City, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

Advice to Management

Continue to partner with the City of Memphis to improve the quality of life for both St. Jude employees and their families. This will encourage employees to want to settle in and make St.Jude and Memphis their long-term home (decrease turn-over). Keep the City accountable increasing the quality of life for current and future employees.

Jan 4, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review! These suggestions are fantastic. We are so glad you enjoy the work, benefits, and pay at St. Jude. Our partnership with the City of Memphis gives us... More

8. "Administration"

Pros

The mission! Everyone contributes in some way to finding cures for and treating our patients. Everyone is encouraged to contribute ideas for making St. Jude a better place both for patients and employees. Our benefits are phenomenal. They include 3 weeks vacation the first year of employment and 5 weeks after 10 years; affordable health, eye and dental care; free, onsite workout facilities; employee appreciation events; fantastic cafeteria and 2 Starbucks kiosks; retirement plan (St. Jude automatically contributes a portion of your salary regardless of whether or not you contribute) and tuition assistance.

Cons

The institution has grown and we have expanded so much that it can be hard to connect with colleagues who are now on the other side of campus.

Jan 4, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review and for your 10+ years of service at St. Jude! It's great to hear how you enjoy the benefits St. Jude has to offer.

"Systems Administrator"

Current Employee - Security Systems Software Coordinator in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Security Systems Software Coordinator in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The purpose is incredible. Mission driven and zero negativeity. Really doing God’s work. Best of the best.

Cons

I can honestly say I have nothing bad to say. It’s a great place.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. You guys are rock stars.

Dec 12, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! It's great to hear how much you love the mission and of St. Jude. YOU are the rock star!

10. "Patient Care Associate"

Former Employee - Pca in Bartlett, TN
    Former Employee - Pca in Bartlett, TN

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in and the children are amazing. Dr, Downing is an amazing CEO. He really cares about his company.

Cons

Kind hard to move to a higher position.

Advice to Management

Try to show the employees that they are respected

Dec 12, 2017 – Recruiter

Thanks for taking the time to review your previous employment with St. Jude. We are thrilled to hear that you loved working under Dr. Downing. He really is a fantastic CEO. Thank you for your... More