St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews

Updated December 6, 2018

4.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They also have a great work/life balance as they say you should never take work home with you" (in 33 reviews)

• "Working for a cause, great benefits, immigration support" (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are no cons working at St" (in 25 reviews)

• "There are not really cons to working for St" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Global leadership as one of the world's premier pediatric cancer research centers, whose mission is to find cures for children with cancer and other catastrophic diseases through research and treatment.
    Cutting-edge research in understanding the molecular, genetic and chemical bases of catastrophic diseases in children; identifying cures for such diseases; and promoting their prevention.
    Outstanding clinical research studies in gene therapy, bone marrow transplantation, chemotherapy, biochemistry of normal and cancerous cells, radiation treatment, blood diseases, resistance to therapy, viruses, hereditary diseases, influenza, pediatric AIDS, psychological effects of catastrophic illnesses, and the long-term outcomes of its patients.
    Top leadership, world-renowned scientists, physicians and support staff. Excellent continuing education career advancement opportunities. An environment that promotes the health, well-being and work-life balance of employees, recognizes and supports exceptional performance.
    St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is growing at the speed of scientific discovery and advancement. There are and will be many opportunities for those with a passion for excellence and an inner drive to work hard to help fulfill the mission to globally "Find cures and save lives".

Cons

After almost a decade, I can say that it is still an honor and a privilege to serve in this organization, and am truly humbled and amazed every day at the work that goes on here.

Advice to Management

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. Keep doing what you are doing!

Oct 5, 2018 – Recruiter

Wow! Thank you very much for the review. We truly appreciate your passion and dedication to our mission. Employees such as yourself are the backbone of our institution and are an inspiration to... More

2. "Great Place to Work"

Pros

Friendly, efficient, hard-working, encouraging, fun

Cons

Long hours, tough work at times

Dec 7, 2018

Thank you for your review! We appreciate the dedication to your work during your time here.

3. "Good place to work"

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

A good place to work, especially for women. A company with noble belief and culture.

Cons

The city the company locates is lack of good education resources.

Dec 5, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you very much for the review! We appreciate your dedication to our mission.

"Administrative Specialist"

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Memphis, TN

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Good cafeteria. Some cool perks. Nice Christmas decorations.

Cons

Admin hierarchy is set up to ensure admins are underpaid. Exempt staff receives preferential treatment. Non-exempt staff regularly subjected to hostile work environment and threat of termination. Management does not have your back. Poor training. Untrained management. HR works for management not staff. Lots of backstabbing and throwing coworkers under the bus. St. Jude is just like Oz - looks amazing on the outside but is really only smoke and mirrors. If you are not management or faculty, you run a high risk of not making it more than a year or 2.

Advice to Management

You know why staff turn around is so high. So does HR. Do something about it. You are bleeding out great employees just to protect the status quo of senior faculty and management. Accountability applies to all staff - especially top tier staff. You have no problem forcing out or running off non-top tier staff. Perhaps, you should cull the top tier as well...

5. "Love it!"

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Great people, love the mission

Cons

Political at times, still operates like a small company in a lot of ways

Thanks for the review!

"Less rewarding researching career with PhD"

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great cause and saving lives of innocent kids. Great environment for research.

Cons

Researchers are the major contribution for the success of discoveries in the research and finding cure for patients. These researchers had PhDs and several years of postdoctoral experience. They have to work on weekends and after hours most of the time for a successful completion of experiments, findings/discoveries.
    But recently I found that people with just master’s and 1-3 years of experience are well paid in non-research areas like fund raising, information systems and other administrative jobs with mostly 8-5 work schedule. I know the motivation of the organization is not commercial but there is huge biased in the pay structure & benefits among the employees of different departments. Also, the benefits for the employees at higher level are much better, on top of high pay scales, such as tuition fee reimbursement for their children and other perks.

In addition, the researchers have very limited opportunity to grow to a higher level and be an independent researcher as they don't support the staff to write grants.
    I joined the organization with lot of hopes and motivation to work for the innocent kids and their survival. But the organization focus is mostly driven towards fundraising and getting attention in the media to get more funds.

Advice to Management

Instead of spending lot a money on the performance management system, which most of the people follow just as formality and really doesn't quantify an individual/department performance, do something that keep the researchers motivated and stop treating them like a cheap labor.

Dec 6, 2018

Good morning! Thank you for your feedback. We are hopeful that the St. Jude Research Staff Council will be able to address many of your concerns and answer questions you may have. Please reach out to... More

7. "Postdoctoral Research Associate"

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Working for a cause, great benefits, immigration support

Cons

Some of the labs are micro-managing

Thanks for the review!

"Clinical Research job"

Former Employee - Clinical Research in Bartlett, TN
    Former Employee - Clinical Research in Bartlett, TN

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I took a mid- high-level clinical research position at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, and was happy to be a permanent employee instead of a contractor like at my previous position. Their benefits are good, and a lot of the people who work there are nice. Everyone starts out with 3 weeks of vacation

Cons

The St. Jude job title for the position I accepted was odd, and I knew right away that the job title didn't match the degree requirements or job description. My gut feeling was telling me that this was wrong, but I tried to put it aside and not think about it, because I was afraid of coming across as shallow. St. Jude didn't seem to care about the mismatch either, because they think they are so awesome and everybody wants to work there, that you should just be thankful to work there at all regardless of your job title. The work I did in that role was extra strenuous, and more prestigious and higher level compared to most standard clinical research jobs. However, when I needed to find another job, prospective employers blacklisted me because of my St. Jude job title. Come to find out, they didn't care at all about the neat job duties that I got to do, because they couldn't prove it anyway and just thought I was embellishing my resume. The ONLY thing future employers look at is your job title. It took me years for another company to just give me a chance, but they hired me at a somewhat demeaning demotion and drastic painful pay cut that put my family in an awkward position and change of life style. When I started working at my new job, my new manager alluded to me in conversation that the lower level job I got there was because of the St. Jude job title. I really got screwed over. Lessons learned - Always go with your initial gut feeling; and even if job titles do not matter to you, they matter later for your livelihood and to future employers.

Nov 7, 2018 – Recruiter

St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital benchmarks all job roles against the market including reviews of appropriate job titles and salary levels as compared to similar roles. Job titles are intended... More

9. "Nurse Extern"

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Great staff
    Management was helpful
    Good learning experience

Cons

None, it was a wonderful place to work

Oct 19, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! It's fantastic to know that you learned a lot and had a great experience externing at St. Jude.

10. "One of the BEST places to work in healthcare in West Tennessee"

Pros

Patient-centered environment, Employees are appreciated for all of their hard work, CEO is truly a people-person, Work-life balance is excellent, wages are great, benefits are awesome, and there are growth opportunities within.

Cons

You may not always get the BEST managers or coworkers at times, but working for an organization that values its employees makes it worth it.

Oct 11, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We are so glad to read that you enjoy the work you do here, knowing you are valued and compensated for all your hard work. All individuals, management and employees alike... More