Cover image for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Healthcare

10h

a

Unit Manager

I was offered 3 jobs at 3 different hospitals in 3 different locations. One is at $24/hr in MA, one is $17/hr in Atl and the other is at $23/hr in NC. I'm not sure which to pick but I really would like to be in GA but coming from NY that pay isn't really cutting it. I asked to negotiate but haven't gotten any feedback and it's been a few days. I called and left a VM with HR but no response. The start dates are quick approaching. MA is a bit expensive and NC seems to be a happy medium. Thoughts?

25 Comments

Healthcare

221.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/medicine-2/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=St. Jude Children's Research Hospital~28315
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about St. Jude Children's Research Hospital? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with St. Jude Children's Research Hospital employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your private company bowl on Fishbowl, join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the Conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "The only cons are things St. Jude is working on; limited parking(in 19 reviews)
  • "Some managers have no clue about potential talents(in 11 reviews)
  • "worked long hours and lack of flexibility on work location(in 9 reviews)
  • "Some supervisors are awful and should be aware to be avoided.(in 4 reviews)
  • "However, our CEO has recognized this for the problem it is, and has dedicated significant resources to overhauling and drastically improving diversity and inclusion efforts.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year
    Featured Review

Best job ever

Feb 17, 2023 - Clinical Research Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits that continually get better. Benefits team clearly listens to feedback and wants from employees and in the short time I’ve been working here have seen improvements that matter to me in the already phenomenal benefits. HR team was proactive in speaking with me about disability accommodations, which ended up not being necessary as the systems in place already accommodated my needs. I love feeling like I am working as a part of a team, both on the level of my immediate team as well as being a part of St. Jude as a whole. Everyone I’ve met is incredibly friendly and as a whole appears happy to be there. I’ve wanted to work at St. Jude ever since I was a kid growing up in Memphis and it’s even better than I could have imagined.

Cons

Construction on campus is a pain (and makes it a long walk to my building). But they keep us updated on what’s going on, it has been interesting to watch the progress, and it helps me get my steps in. Can’t wait for the new buildings. I’ve recently become aware that some of the things I love about my job that make it work for me (and work for my disability) are manager dependent.

Human Resources

Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad that you are part of the St. Jude organization and that HR and your team have let you know that you are supported. Construction is most certainly a pain point, but we know that the end result will be worth it and in the meantime, we've got added assistance for the annual steps challenge! Thank you for your meaningful feedback for management. We hope that this year is the first of many for you here at St. Jude.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee

a great place to work

May 31, 2023 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, work-life balance, a lot of vacations

Cons

Salary is not that good compared to the industry, but not that bad either

3. Join the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

It is an amazing place to work.

Jan 4, 2023 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked at St. Jude for over 10 years. The best thing about working here is the relationship with your co-workers, patients, and families. The benefits are superb and the reason why I would love to forever work here and in the future retire from here. We have the best CEO ever. He cares so much about work/home life balance. Working here helped me to get my degree due to tuition assistance programs. We have employee physician’s office, pharmacy, and a fitness center. Who wouldn’t want to see a doctor on their lunch break and return to work without ever leaving?

Cons

The only negative thing I can think of is their lack of recruiting from within the corporation. They would rather hire someone from the outside than recruit the staff they already have. They are big on always having prior experience. If I am working in a particular role for over 10 plus years, there is no way I can have experience for another position. How can I gain experience without being given the opportunity? As I listed above, they help you to further your education and even encourage it. Just know that once you are done, there will not be space in the company for you. You will have to leave, gain experience and pray you’re hired after. I have applied for several jobs I was qualified for, and I wasn’t even granted an interview, something has to be done to help current employees to elevate at the company.

Human Resources

Hello! Thank you for leaving a thoughtful and wonderful review. We love to hear about our employees' experiences with our benefits and we are so glad that your health is a priority. Secondly, we want to help you with regard to your career path. Job requirements (i.e., requiring management experience for a supervisory role) are set by the compensation team. The recruiters are unable to change the job requirements, even for employees that have been there many years. You can check your career path at any time by logging into Pathways and checking your job designation and your opportunities for advancement. You can also contact the director of talent acquisition directly to discuss your situation. She might have some better insight with regard to reasons you are getting passed over. A final thought is to have a discussion with your direct manager about obtaining supervisory experience so that you can qualify for elevated roles. Perhaps there is room for a promotion that will help you build your skills even more. If you want to discuss this, please reach out to the director of TA. It is our goal to help you continue to move up in the organization, but to understand why it hasn't happened yet, it is best to contact HR. Your situation and experience will be kept private by the TA team, so do not hesitate to give them a call. Best of luck. We do not want to lose such a vital member of our workforce.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Amazing place to work!

Jan 11, 2023 - Administrative Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have had the privilege of working at St. Jude for nearly 8 years and am deeply proud to be part of its incredible mission. Having worked in health care since 1988, the staff at St. Jude is truly the most dedicated and committed that I have worked with. The organization offers amazing opportunities for professional development and career advancement. Equally as important, they offer an unparalleled benefit package on the first day of employment, a flexible spending account, long term disability (with additional options), a 403B plan with a generous employer contribution, a 529 college savings plan, life insurance, and the opportunity to participate in a legal plan and identity theft protection at a nominal cost. We are afforded a number of amenities, including an onsite health care clinic and pharmacy, onsite banking, wellness programs, two Starbucks locations, free parking, a secure/gated campus, very generous tuition reimbursement, estate and funeral planning (so helpful in times of unexpected loss/crisis), lovely cafeteria with tasty and diverse culinary options (overseen by executive chefs who often work the food lines - so refreshing!), access to a very well-equipped gym and a myriad of fitness regimens to choose from, inclusive of trainers. Our institutional leadership is incredibly staff centric. The organization deftly addressed the COVID-19 pandemic in a carefully choreographed manner. Their continued commitment to maintaining the safety of our patients, their families and employees has been unprecedented. In addition, a host of support resources are provided to further support employees in these unprecedented times. I am immensely proud to work at such an extraordinary academic institution where employees are afforded so much.

Cons

None to report at this time.

Human Resources

Wow, do you want to come work on the talent acquisition or benefits teams?! Thank you for all of the wonderful, kind remarks! We are so glad that you feel protected, cared for, and valued as an employee of St. Jude, and we are happy to have you here caring for and overseeing your team. We hope these eight years become many more!

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work, not so good place to live. Not as inclusive as they advertise

Mar 7, 2023 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

1) St Jude over all is a great place to work. It has great benefits (good and cheap health insurance, retirement benefits) etc. Great pay. It also does some fantastic research in the field of pediatric cancer. Very good place to advance your professional career.

Cons

The biggest drawback with St Jude is the place where it is located: Memphis, TN. 1) Memphis has consistently ranked as the most unsafe cities in the US. The crime rate is extremely high. 2) The driving culture in Memphis is very bad and I keep hearing every month somebody getting into an accident. Although both these two points are not the fault of St Jude, it just comes along with an on-site job at St Jude. 3) Although St Jude keeps bragging about its diversity and exclusion but this is mostly a public relations campaign. St Jude is not very keen on sponsoring green cards (permanent residencies). This is especially troubling for people from India and China who have very long-wait times on green card applications. All these D&I activities and PR campaigns on social media are useless when they really do not care about sponsoring permanent residencies.

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thanks for your review. We can better explain the green card process for you, which applies to our employees but not our postdocs. If you were appointed as a postdoc, you might have had a different experience. St. Jude does, in fact, sponsor green cards for staff. We know that there is a wait. This is not the fault of St. Jude, but rather the state of the world. However, St. Jude does not promise green cards. We do not guarantee green cards, but we do sponsor green cards. We have a policy in place that you must work for us for at least 12 months before we will sit down to have that discussion and make a plan. That does not mean we will start the process in 12 months, but will begin to make a plan for the future at some point after 12 months. It is also dependent on how your job is going. If we know you have made plans to terminate your employment, we will not begin the process with you and your family. And finally, again, this process does not apply to postdocs. Regarding Memphis, you are correct. We cannot change our location, but we can contribute to its successes and continue to help it grow and develop. Memphis, like other big cities, is not without its problems, but it is our city and we seek to elevate it and make it better so that we can continue to bring top researchers and clinicians to St. Jude, Le Bonheur, Regional One, and other top medical institutions that call Memphis home. Thank you for your opinions on our ongoing DEI efforts. Some of the programs we're implementing require a long time to take hold and yield results but we are thrilled with the progress we've made and the progress to come. The creation of our Women's and Allies Resource Group, PRIDE Resource Group, and Black Employees and Allies Resource Group have made some great strides with regard to connectivity, growth, and knowledge of DEI efforts. Heritage Festival brought together approximately 1,000 employees to celebrate our different cultures and homelands. Courageous Conversations has led to positive discourse across many different demographics. Our new Vice-President of DEI has some incredible ideas for 2023 that we look forward to sharing with our workforce. Thank you again for your comments. We wish you the best.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

great place to work

May 24, 2023 - Scientist in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

very exciting and supportive environment.

Cons

I cannot think of any negatives.

Human Resources

How wonderful to read! Thank you for all of your contributions.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

The best of the best!

May 2, 2023 - Human Resources in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing place to work, we are all about the mission, patients, and patient families. Employees are treated like royalty, so many perks, beautiful campus, opportunities for personal and professional advancement. I couldn't imagine a place of employment that is any better.

Cons

Absolutely none. It doesn't get any better than this.

Human Resources

What a wonderful review to read! We're so glad that you have found so much to treasure here at St. Jude.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

A Great Company that Supports Work/Life Balance

May 5, 2023 - Recruiter in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

our benefits package cost of living passion of the city resources and funding for science the mission job security collaboration

Cons

the general population is not aware of the breadth of research ongoing at St. Jude, which makes my job less easy.

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for your review! We are hoping that the implementation of our high school STEM program will serve to better inform not only high school scholars in the area, but their families as well! The amount of research taking place here is staggering and we are glad to have you to help teach applicants more about our work.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great working place

May 19, 2023 - Biostatistician in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great collaborations and conducive working environment.

Cons

I can't think of any

Human Resources

St. Jude celebrates collaboration between departments. Thanks so much for being part of our community!

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work!

Feb 24, 2023 - Senior Communications Coordinator in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are plenty of career paths within St. Jude beyond medical and scientific research. You are encouraged to have work/life balance, which is very different than the private sector. Employees are empowered to contribute ideas. I also feel like my opinion matters as well as the opinions of my co-workers. I am given the flexibility, autonomy, and most of all – trust to make important decisions within the realm of my responsibilities. I feel like I am completely supported by management and peers. Plus the great mission is what initially drew me in. I would definitely recommend working at St. Jude!

Cons

The sense of urgency is quite low in getting things done. It's frustrating coming from the private sector where folks were more responsive.

Human Resources

What a great review to read! Thank you so much for your kind words and, most importantly, your contributions to the organization and our mission. We are glad that your team has allowed you the autonomy to do your best work! And thank you for bringing up the notion of active retention. Outside of Ovation performance awards and other forms of recognition, we are seeking stronger career paths to continue to affirm and elevate our workforce.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,154 Reviews
</>Embed

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews FAQs

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5, based on over 1,259 reviews left anonymously by employees. 92% of employees would recommend working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital to a friend and 93% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

92% of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated St. Jude Children's Research Hospital 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.8 for culture and values and 4.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital to be career development, senior leadership, benefits and the cons to be compensation, management.

Popular Careers with St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital? Share Your Experiences

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital logo

Get Community Insights About St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Candid workplace conversations with real professionals.

Job Referrals!
167.1K

Job Referrals!

Best way to get your foot in the door with your favorite company! Plus employees won’t mind getting that referral money!

Interview Tips
163.4K

Interview Tips

Salary Negotiations
171.6K

Salary Negotiations

A community to ask questions and seek advice on negotiating your salary, compensation, etc.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Careers

Cover image for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital – Why Join Our Mission? You've seen it everywhere, even as a part of our logo: Finding cures....More

• Careers
  • Research and Patient Care
  • Only at St. Jude
  • Military

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

1 days ago

Diversity and Inclusion
Studies suggest that a lack of access and opportunity drive the underrepresentation of certain populations in science, technology, engineering, math and medicine (STEMM) careers. St. Jude looks to change this, committing itself to increasing diversity within the teams making the discoveries that lead to novel treatments. Read more about the STEMM Education and Outreach team at St. Jude, a program that works alongside K-12 students to introduce them to STEMM subjects.
Shared image - Bridging the Gap: Promoting diversity and inclusion in the next generation of STEMM leaders
blogs.stjude.org

38 days ago

Careers
Laughing with friends in a hallway at school, taking a trip with family, getting ready for a school dance, going to camp, applying to college, choosing a career — all typical life experiences for an adolescent or young adult (AYA). Cancer upends that typical AYA experience. These patients get sick at a pivotal time of change and growth in their lives. Interested in working with AYA patients? Peruse our career opportunities within child life and psychosocial services.
Shared image - Research adds to understanding of AYA patients
Research adds to understanding of AYA patients
blogs.stjude.org

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Photos

+ Add Photo
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital photo of: Employees celebrate in a group photo outside the Marlo Thomas Global Education and Collaboration Center.
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital photo of: Inspiration4 Advanced Research Center
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital photo of: St. Jude is currently home to three facility dogs to assist with both patient care and employee health.
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital photo of: Employees from different countries and homelands had the chance to share their culture with other employees at the annual Heritage Fest.
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital photo of: Happy Halloween from some of our clinical staff!
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital photo of: Downtown Memphis prepares for the Memphis Grizzlies' 2022 Western Conference run.
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital photo of: Aerial view of the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital campus

Expert Career Advice

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Job Seekers Also Viewed

ALSAC/St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

4.3

Compare

Glassdoor has 1,259 St. Jude Children's Research Hospital reviews submitted anonymously by St. Jude Children's Research Hospital employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is right for you.