St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing

Pros
  • Jude cares about its employees and promotes a healthy work/ life balance (in 16 reviews)

• They take it to heart that they would like for this to be a great place to work (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

""excellent development opportunities for young scientist""

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

1. Outstanding corporate mission and vision backed up by fantastic staff. Everybody seems to care and everybody likes working here.
    2. Great benefit package and good work/life balance. The management wants you to be productive and in order to get there they want you to be a happy and healthy employee. Free on campus gym and "living well programs" are available. We get family sick leave, too. Seriously, I think our management actually likes their employees.
    3. Modern, well equipped, easily accessible research facilities and core centers. If you need something specific to get your research done, you will probably be able to get it.
    4. There is great research going on here, with a lot of collaborations between departments and outstanding seminar speakers from all over the world.
    5. Well organized career development programs and good networking opportunities.
    6. HR is friendly, competent and fast here. Yes, you read that right, the human resources department here HELPS you with your problems. They are just awesome.
    7. Above average pay. Plus, a standard postdoc salary will allow you to afford a good life in Memphis. Memphis is a great place to live, especially with St.Jude benefit package.
    8. Opportunities for promotions exist. People here respect talent and good work.

Cons

Not many cons, really.

It is difficult to recruit new talent here, people don't want to live in Memphis, for no good reason.

Can be political at times, but no where near as bad as in other places.

Advice to Management

Senior research management needs to use their resources better. There are unused capacities.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Jun 21, 2016 – Recruiter

We are very gracious for the excellent review! It is great to read all of the incredible things you have to say about your time with St. Jude. It is employees like yourself that help carry the ... More

2. "St. Jude finds cures and saves lives, and is the best place on earth to serve!"

Current Employee - Survey Interviewer in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Survey Interviewer in Memphis, TN

Pros

St. Jude is more than a job. We all need to pay bills and live. At St. Jude, every day you are part of an organization that is the leader in finding cures to many catastrophic illnesses that impact children and adults. There is no amount of money that can match the personal reward you feel. And they have the best benefits package of any company.

Cons

Some of their older buildings will need new paint and carpet in a few years.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the sacrifices you make and the service you provide.

3. "ALSAC/St. Jude"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

ALSAC is the fundraising arm of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Just knowing that I play a part in raising funds for the catastrophically sick children is reward enough, but the pay is good, the benefits are excellent, and I couldn't be happier with my boss and my job.

Cons

Management is working on being more transparent but they have a little way to go. It would also be nice to know about events on campus in advance.

Advice to Management

Keep working to improve. Thank you for all that you do for the employees including listening to us, giving us forums to speak and ask questions.

"The most rewarding job I have ever had."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

What you do there really makes a difference in the lives of families with critically ill children. St. Jude hires the best employees and treats them well; they want employees to grow personally and professionally.

Cons

Working at St. Jude can be emotionally challenging, though well worth it in my opinion. As an employee you have to be sure you find time to care for your own emotional health.

"Research oriented and great learning experience"

Current Employee - Senior Data Warehouse Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Data Warehouse Specialist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

St. Jude invests heavily on training and self improvement
    St. Jude encourages use of open source technology and latest developments in the IT field
    St. Jude is best place to work if are starting your career as most of the work is research oriented and provides opportunities to learn

Cons

Sometimes, management in few academic departments can be dogmatic and political. You have to little lucky to avoid such departments. Human resources department is very fair and balances out these disparities in style of working among departments as much as possible.

Advice to Management

Always pay attention to the facts, we should do extremely good.

7. "Excellent and Exceptional"

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Personal growth, range of opportunities, education benefits, leadership environment.

Cons

More research position than administrative.

Advice to Management

Continue to expand existing programs, and develop and create more administrative, and management positions.

8. "St. Jude is a wonderful place to work with excellent resources and endless support"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

excellent facilities, unlimited resources, great enviornment/setting

Cons

There are no negatives about working at St. Jude

9. "One of the most incredible facilities in the world."

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Memphis, TN

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best reason was the kids, then there was a clinical ladder for self-advancement, great benefits, new equipment, and the Docs listen to parents, nurses, etc. Best teamwork ever, whatever department I worked in. The patient was actually the primary focus of 90% of the staff, which made it a really cohesive atmosphere. Then there are the kids coming to visit after therapy, sharing graduations, weddings, introducing their spouses and children years later. You can really make a difference in someone's life here.

Cons

Changes constantly, which may not actually be a con. Felt some of the new computer programs actually hindered instead of improved patient care. Took a lot of time away from actual patient care.

10. "A world of opportunity"

Current Employee - Liaison in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Liaison in Memphis, TN

Pros

If you have the passion, heart and skill, you can do amazing things here.

Cons

You may not get paid as much, but it balances by knowing you are helping sick kids.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and learning.

11. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Memphis, TN

Pros

Plenty of shared resources for scientists to use, great work atmosphere.

Cons

Not too many cons to list. As a graduate research assistant, I work varying hours and receive a monthly stipend in return. But this is expected anywhere during graduate studies.