St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing

Pros
  • Promotes a good work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• They take it to heart that they would like for this to be a great place to work (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • There are no cons or down side to working at St (in 10 reviews)

• Not many cons, a lot of meetings (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

""excellent development opportunities for young scientist""

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

1. Outstanding corporate mission and vision backed up by fantastic staff. Everybody seems to care and everybody likes working here.
    2. Great benefit package and good work/life balance. The management wants you to be productive and in order to get there they want you to be a happy and healthy employee. Free on campus gym and "living well programs" are available. We get family sick leave, too. Seriously, I think our management actually likes their employees.
    3. Modern, well equipped, easily accessible research facilities and core centers. If you need something specific to get your research done, you will probably be able to get it.
    4. There is great research going on here, with a lot of collaborations between departments and outstanding seminar speakers from all over the world.
    5. Well organized career development programs and good networking opportunities.
    6. HR is friendly, competent and fast here. Yes, you read that right, the human resources department here HELPS you with your problems. They are just awesome.
    7. Above average pay. Plus, a standard postdoc salary will allow you to afford a good life in Memphis. Memphis is a great place to live, especially with St.Jude benefit package.
    8. Opportunities for promotions exist. People here respect talent and good work.

Cons

Not many cons, really.

It is difficult to recruit new talent here, people don't want to live in Memphis, for no good reason.

Can be political at times, but no where near as bad as in other places.

Advice to Management

Senior research management needs to use their resources better. There are unused capacities.

Jun 21, 2016 – Recruiter

We are very gracious for the excellent review! It is great to read all of the incredible things you have to say about your time with St. Jude. It is employees like yourself that help carry the ... More

2. "Volunteer Manager"

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

The most amazing mission and patient families.

Cons

Power-hungry hospital CEO and administrative staff lacking empowerment.

3. "Great place with great attitude"

Current Employee - Clinical Dietitian in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Clinical Dietitian in Memphis, TN

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment ---- very uplifting and encouraging
    GREAT perks
    Really value the employee
    good salary
    really learn a lot from the multidisciplinary team

Cons

It is sometimes sad to work at a children's cancer facility because there are children who do not make it

Mar 23, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for your review. We are glad you love your job as a Dietitian at St. Jude. That is commonly heard from our front-line patient care employees, that it is hard to see children ... More

5. "Scientist"

I worked at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, flexible and friendly co-workers.

Cons

Seeing all the children that are bravely fighting cancer.

Mar 21, 2017 – Recruiter

Thanks so much for your review and your years of service with us!

6. "Negative, unhappy environment"

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good resources. Good benefits. Otherwise everyone hates each other and talks behind their coworkers backs like children. It's the most negative work environment I've ever been in.

Cons

Old boys club management style. Not good for women in science. A lot of illegal and bullying behavior happening. Major salary discrepancies and anyone who "rocks the boat" by raising these concerns is then pushed out. By far the worst placed I've ever worked. Will be quitting very soon.

Advice to Management

You are the problem, so advice wouldn't be implemented.

Mar 8, 2017 – Recruiter

Clearly something very specific to your individual situation has occurred, but you and all employees have numerous channels to report concerns. As a valued St. Jude employee, you are encouraged to do ... More

7. "A company with a wonderful mission"

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits , Great Environment to work environment, community engagement, mission and purpose

Cons

Poor upper management, poor employee engagement, lack of leadership in diversity, lack of opportunity, poor compensation and review structure, and lack of opportunity for growth if you not white.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, learn how to identify and retain talent, establish more accountability for upper management, actually address employee surveys, and take action to improve identified issues. Stop hiring poor management that does not fit in with the culture of the organization. Evaluate job descriptions and compensation. Employee minorities in upper management.

Mar 2, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review your employment experience at St. Jude. St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital continually strives to improve its culture and work environment particularly in ... More

8. "Great place to work"

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Great benefits, collaborative environment, supportive leadership

Cons

Memphis is a rather quiet city but I got used to it (and enjoyed it) after a while.

Mar 2, 2017 – Recruiter

Thanks for the review! We are so glad you are enjoying your employment with St. Jude and living in Memphis. Glad to have you on the team!

9. "Great place to work!"

Pros

Best place to work for both clinicians and researchers.

Cons

Memphis is not a great city to live in.

Mar 2, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We are so glad you enjoy your job as well as living in Memphis!

10. "CEO's Town Hall"

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

The CEO of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital holds a town hall every few months. It's an opportunity for hospital staff to share their ideas, suggestions, feedback on the hospital's culture, benefits, working environment. And, the CEO listens and follows up.

Cons

When large groups visit, it can feel really busy for the staff and patients.

Feb 17, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for your review! Thanks for sharing your appreciation for the Town Hall meetings we hold at St. Jude. Dr. Downing truly does want to show the employees that he cares about and ... More

11. "Security"

Current Employee - Janitor/Cleaner
    Current Employee - Janitor/Cleaner

I have been working at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to start new job

Cons

Have no comment at alk

Mar 6, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We are happy that you are enjoying your position here at St. Jude.