KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing
Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

A great place to work!

Sep 9, 2021 - Research Technologist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Mission-driven, supportive work environment, feel like your work makes a difference

Cons

Can be stressful, long hours

Human Resources

Thank you for your review! We hope that you have plenty of support to help you cope with stress. If you have not already, check out the Living Well Yammer page for mindfulness tips or contact the Resilience Center for assistance. Thank you for all that you do for St. Jude.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Salary

Jul 1, 2021 - Research Technologist in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome experience, fantastic work culture, meaningful work

Cons

No negative experiences, very friendly work environment

Human Resources

We're so glad you enjoyed your time at St. Jude! Thank you for your dedication to our mission and patients.

3. 5.0
    Former Employee

Good Place

Jan 30, 2021 - Senior Research Technologist
    Business Outlook

Pros

it benefits are good, the mission is good, and the people are good.

Cons

I can think of nothing negative that comes right to my mind.

Human Resources

Thanks so much! Thank you for your dedication to our patients, their families, and the research we do.

4. 5.0

Amazing place to work

Feb 3, 2020 - Research Technologist in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have an amazing team. They are so intelligent and surprising nice. Everybody is all about the children. From the janitors and cooks to the doctors and upper management, we all know what we do is helping the kids. It’s an amazing feeling to eat with the kids daily. Best job I e ever had and I would recommend st Jude to anybody.

Cons

Takes forever to start working. It took about 3 months to start working. Parking isn’t great so get here early.

Talent Experience Advisor

Thank you for saying such wonderful thinks about your team! It's great to know that you thrive in the environment and have the support system necessary to do great work. We would love to understand a little bit more about your cons, however. If your start date was set three months ahead of the date you accepted an offer, that could be due to ensuring that you're properly licensed and that the lab has moved here on campus and is ready to begin work. If you mean that you were hired, in the lab, and did not have anything to do for three months, that is troubling. If you are willing, please consider contacting Human Resources and speaking with Employee Relations, who will keep your name and title anonymous while they look into the cause of this delay in the lab. Thank you again!

5. 5.0

A Great Place To Work!

Oct 17, 2019 - Research Technologist in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude runs like a well-oiled machine. A company I can be proud to work for, with a mission I really care about. Great people, great management always willing to help if you are unsure about something. Everyone is treated with respect, no matter what your position is. The benefits are great. They are always going the extra mile for their employees and their well being. Kay Kafe is awesome, you will never go hungry at St. Jude. There is definitely room for advancement, and a ton of learning opportunities! Work/life balance is normal, the same for any full-time position. Competitive wages. I absolutely love it here!

Cons

The elevator in parking garage 3.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Thank you for not only recognizing our mission and benefits, but appreciating the lesser-recognized perks as well! We strive for Kay Kafe to continue to serve all of our patients, families, and employees with healthy and balanced meals, regardless of dietary restrictions. We're glad that you have both upward mobility and learning opportunities! As for the elevator, if you haven't already, contact Facilities, Operations and Maintenance (FOM) and let them know what you've experienced. They would appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

6. 5.0

Research Technologist

Oct 15, 2019 - Research Technologist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing work environment. Infinite opportunity to learn and develop with great potential for upward mobility within the company.

Cons

Progression up the research ladder and where employees fall along this ladder and why is somewhat vague. Salary ranges within individual positions in among research staff are extremely broad with little known about why someone may be at the lower or higher end of that pay scale. The potential for promotion is apparent, but the timeline and steps necessary to achieve such promotions is a little less clear.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

It's great to read that you're enjoying your new job and that you find so much benefit in your environment! Thank you for bringing up the research career trajectory. This is something that we are working on redoing and we'll have more information for our research community soon. We will be examining upward mobility, salaries within roles and labs, and anything else that affects a researcher's ability to thrive here. If you have questions about your particular role, you can direct them to Talent Acquisition or Compensation within the HR department. Thank you again for your candidness!

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place to Work

Oct 10, 2019 - Senior Research Technologist
    Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude is a great place to work because of the incredible benefits, the top notch co-workers who desire to be here, and the amazing work that is done!

Cons

It's certainly hot in Memphis if you are not use to the heat.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Thanks for the great review and the advice! We are currently reviewing the research career trajectory to better accommodate our staff and provide them with increased opportunities. We will have updates for our research community soon. Thank you for your dedication and wonderful work here at St. Jude.

8. 3.0
    Current Employee

Overall goal of the Hospital provides personal satisfaction, ethics however, makes things sour.

Feb 28, 2009 - Senior Research Technologist in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

The response from the community is very positive. Everyone seems to think that it is a great place to work and that they do a great thing there. It feels god to be a part of saving lives and everyone feels as if they are putting in a positive contribution to the overall goal of the Hospital no matter what the job title is. There are usually free tickets to events, and the chances of being issued a ticket by local police are very slim with a St Jude decal on your car. The health benefits are very good as well, inexpensive health care with freedom to choose providers is a big plus. There is also the 3 weeks of vacation a year.

Cons

Politics! It is all about who you know. If you know someone important you can pretty much get away with anything you want. Some of the people who are considered St Jude's Poster board employees are getting away with unethical things everyday and if they are finally asked to leave it is with a great recommendation so the next place of employment has no idea the characteristics which will no doubt be repeated. It is also a shame to see selfishness in the scientific community, instead of trying to put heads together and come up with better solutions everyone wants to make a name for themselves and keep ideas in for their own benefit.

6 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Review of the research side of St Jude

Aug 13, 2015 - Senior Research Technologist in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

For the research side of St Jude your work environment is typically governed by your principal investigator, however there many common benefits we all receive: Competitive salary Strong organizational culture Great insurance benefits (to cover the employee's medical alone, your contribution is $0) Strong focus on employee wellness, including gym and counseling plan Strong focus on career development including paid tuition and seminars to promote growth.

Cons

Many people are nervous to move to Memphis, however the city has made great strides in developing a fun and active culture, and this is not a native Memphian writing this.

Recruiter

Thank you so very much for the review! It is great to see the research side of the hospital represented on Glassdoor. The research conducted at St. Jude, as you know, is some of the best in the world! Our research departments are saving lives of children all across the world with their discoveries. We totally agree that St. Jude offers some really good benefits and we are always looking to add new things to our benefits package. If you want something else, feel free to let HR know and we can see what we can do. We are glad that you said something about Memphis. Many of the employees who work for St. Jude are not native Memphians and we have heard the concerns in the past from prospective employees. Memphis is definitely a city that is reinventing itself and is getting rid of any negativity. We are glad that you are a part of Memphis and St. Jude! Yes, more cake is always a good idea. :)

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

I love working at St. Jude.

Jul 4, 2017 - Medical Technologist IV in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are so many great reasons to work at St. Jude: the mission, the kids, the people. We're all working towards the same goal.

Cons

There's a problem with nepotism in the department of Pathology. Some of the people in administration will hire friends over people with years of experience. I've even seen two new positions created so that friends could be hired.

2 people found this review helpful

Recruiter

Thanks for your review. We are thrilled that you enjoy and see the value in the work you do here! Thank you for your feedback regarding hiring in your area. This information has been shared with our Employment team, but if you have a greater concern regarding this issue and its potential ramifications, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Employee Relations Department our our Ethics Hotline. Thank you for keeping your eye on our number 1 priority, excellent patient care. We are happy to have employees like you on the St. Jude team.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 27 Reviews