KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Engaged Employer

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Add a Review

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Employee Reviews about "cancer"

Updated Nov 9, 2020

Found 40 of over 984 reviews

4.5
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing
Pros
  • "Great benefits such as health insurance and retirement plan(in 72 reviews)

• "great place to work with benefits(in 63 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The only negative I can say is the location in downtown Memphis(in 15 reviews)

• "The existence of childhood cancer(in 11 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "cancer"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

"No child should die in the dawn of life." -Danny Thomas

Nov 9, 2020 - Director in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The mission (find cures for children with cancer and other catastrophic diseases through research and treatment) drives everything that we do. St. Jude is committed to this goal and enables the work through world-class facilities and training.

Cons

Cons are very few and small.

Human Resources

Hi! Thanks for your review! We are so proud to provide world-class facilities and equipment for our employees to do their lifesaving and groundbreaking work. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Coming to St. Jude has been a fantastic experience

Feb 12, 2020 - EVP in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Exceptional resources for research and care, thanks to philanthropy through our partners, ALSAC. 2. Mission-focused in every aspect of what we do. This is entirely different even from very top-tier clinical enterprises that focus on revenues. 3. The mission itself, to combat catastrophic disorders of childhood. 4. Really smart people from broad range of backgrounds. 5. Memphis, it turns out, is a very nice place to live (summer temperatures excluded from "very nice") with very reasonable cost of living.

Cons

Teams can be somewhat resistant to change. We are working hard to make this less of a barrier. A degree of exceptionalism not supported by evidence compared to other top pediatric cancer centers.

Talent Experience Advisor

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review! And thank you for taking the time to recognize ALSAC, without which we would not have such wonderful resources for our staff and patients. They allow us to thrive without having to focus on revenue which drives some other clinical institutions and this often goes unnoticed by so many. Our diversity is our strength, and thank you for acknowledging the broad range of backgrounds from which we all hail! And finally, Memphis is a wonderful city, owing to its diversity, family-friendliness, culture, and history, though it's true that Mid-Southern summers can get a little...warm. We appreciate your candor with regard to change and what it entails for our workforce, and we appreciate your dedication, as a member of leadership, to transparency and honesty. Thank you for all that you do.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

There is no better place to work! Greatest President & CEO, Dr. James Downing!

Apr 28, 2020 - Executive Assistant in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The mission is a shared vision of all onboard. The children are everything to us. The best of the best work here!

Cons

The existence of childhood cancer.

Human Resources

Thank you for your review! Just imagine, one day, thanks to the hard work of our researchers and clinicians, and those around the world, we'll look at your "Cons" and be able to say, "This is no longer a threat to our children." Thank you for being a part of our mission!

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

A great place for a career

Feb 28, 2020 - Manager in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

At St. Jude, you can use your talents and energies to help make the world a better place.

Cons

Working at a children's cancer hospital is inevitably sad sometimes. Yet, the work we do is important, and our vision for the future has clarity because of the hardships we see each day.

Talent Experience Advisor

Thank you for your review! We appreciate that you are making a difference in the world. You're right; seeing the hardships in person reminds us why we are here. We hope that you have taken advantage of the Resilience Center, RISE program, and/or ERP if ever you have felt overwhelmed.

5. 5.0

Great place to work!

Oct 18, 2019 - Manager, Digital Business in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are wonderful to work with. Everyone has a common mission and vision and is willing to go the extra mile to complete projects and make everything as great as it can be. There are so many opportunities to find your path and make the most of your job, to advance your area/department, and to advance the institution. We have the top minds in the world, and it's great to be a part of one of the best children's pediatric cancer hospitals in the nation.

Cons

St. Jude is a very large place, so there's a large work demand and a hierarchy for approvals.

Human Resources

Hi! Thank you for your review! And thank you for understanding that our size and tremendous growth has led to some issues. We are trying our best to continue to improve and evolve, thanks to the suggestions of those employees on the frontlines!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Oct 18, 2019 - Clinical Research Associate in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working with a great team of CRAs, the work culture here is amazing. I love how St. Jude recognizes the importance of work life balance and constantly find ways to relieve stress at work with little perks here and there. Very supportive immigration team! They are awesome. I particularly love how the immigration team came to welcome us during orientation/1st day at work. I have an amazing boss, I love how we work together to find cures and advance the treatment of childhood cancer! I love St. Jude!

Cons

Hiring process can take awhile, so please be patient.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Wow! Thank you for your heartfelt recognition of our immigration team! They truly are top-notch and work tirelessly on behalf of our employees to secure support and assistance for them and their families. Our CRAs are a great group, thanks to the diligence of our recruiting and sourcing teams. Thank you for your note about the hiring process; we always seek ways to improve and speed up the process while ensuring that we take all the necessary steps. We're thrilled that you enjoy your work and management, but above all, that you embrace our mission of Finding Cures. Saving Children.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best place to work

Oct 17, 2019 - Senior Bioinformatics Scientist in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's ranked as the No. 2 pediatric cancer hospital on U.S. News & World Report in 2019. Well paid and have great chances to advance your career. More importantly, it's not only a job. We has strong missions to find cures and save children and we can make a big difference in the life of a child battling cancer.

Cons

Nothing to complaint except the shortage of parking if you come to work after 9 AM.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Thank you for writing a review! Thank you for your dedication to our patients and all children fighting pediatric cancer and catastrophic illness worldwide. Through our work with St. Jude Global, we hope to be able to reach children everywhere, including those in low- and middle-income countries. And don't worry, we're working on that parking problem with our new Parking Can Be Fun initiative for our employees!

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

I have worked here for 20 years

Sep 20, 2019 - Clinical Reimbursement Analyst in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

St Jude is a great place to work. It has wonderful benefits, great people, and flexibility. Knowing that you are helping to find cures for childhood cancer gives you a great feeling.

Cons

The only thing I dislike is that I have to drive 30-45 minutes to work. But after 20 years I have learned to love it.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Thank you for your dedication, hard work, and incredible contribution to the children of St. Jude over your 20-year career here! We hope you see many more milestone anniversaries here. Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

More than a Great Place to Work.

Feb 14, 2019 - Learning and Development Coordinator in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Hands down, the best reasons to work at St. Jude are the kids, our mission, and the people/employees. St. Jude is a wonderfully unique and positive place, choosing to combat childhood cancer and other catastrophic diseases with hope, happiness, and resiliency. So many of the employees embody that drive and ideal. The people here know why they're here; for the patients, what brought them here. My role is administrative; I don't have regularly interactions with patients. But, having the opportunity to serve the people that change these patients and families lives everyday is such a gift.

Cons

While the vast majority of the people here are absolutely wonderful, there are some that believe they are entitled to more because of their status or degree. I understand respecting the people who have put in the time, energy, and money to obtain their degrees; but, I will never understand treating others as less than because there are a few extra letters next to your name. Again, not everyone. The majority are amazing, but there are a few bad eggs in the basket.

4 people found this review helpful

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Thank you for your review! We appreciate having someone like you. You are dedicated to the mission and our patients and understand how your role contributes to the goals of St. Jude. Your devotion is very clear and we respect your thoughtful criticism. Regarding the degree level of others in your department: we strive to create a community where we all are equal and working alongside one another. Should you ever find that you are not being treated with the consideration you deserve, please alert Employee Relations in HR for assistance.

10. 5.0

Manager

Oct 25, 2017 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

St Jude cares not only about their patients but also about their employees. I have never worked anywhere that tries to ensure the satisfaction of their staff while still following the standards, and comforting the patients. Dr. Downing is a true advocate of "a happy and satisfied staff will work diligently for their patients and the hospital" He doesn't just ask what his employees would like, he goes out of his way to make it happen. He thinks outside the box. I am so proud to work at a place that is making so many strides to cure cancer and other devastating diseases in children. I am also very pleased with our benefits package. I believe our administration work hard to do what is the very best for their team. St Jude encourages the front line team to speak up and be involved in the decision making. I truly believe that you anyone is personally involved in the decision making process their are more likely to be feel a part and be engaged.

Cons

While I believe that our benefits and pay are good here, I think there is a lot of inconsistency among how salaries are determined both upon hiring and on performance reviews. I think there should be a study on this to see where we are compressed. It is very difficult to find any cons to the work here. I feel blessed to be a part of this great organization

Viewing 1 - 10 of 40 Reviews