KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Engaged Employer

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Add a Review

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Employee Reviews about "downtown"

Updated Jul 10, 2020

Found 15 of over 984 reviews

4.5
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing
Pros
  • "Great benefits such as health insurance and retirement plan(in 72 reviews)

• "great place to work with benefits(in 63 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The only negative I can say is the location in downtown Memphis(in 15 reviews)

• "The existence of childhood cancer(in 11 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "downtown"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A great alternative to industry or university for science lovers

Jul 10, 2020 - Senior Research Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. More stable compare to scientist positions in industry or universities (where you can retire from if you really want to) 2. Decent compensation plus great benefits, particularly when taking into account the relatively lower living expenses ($350,000 for a 4b, 4b mansion in the city outskirts, which are safe and pretty) 3. Great infrastructure and core facilities: almost the only limitation is your capability and maturity. Depending on the group joined, one can get either more academic (publishing high impact paper) or industry like experience (R&D, GMP, clinical trials) or both.

Cons

1. Talented scientist easily stands out and may become complacent. 2. Prepare to commute 30-50 min to downtown from Germantown or Collierville (there is no good public school downtown) 3. You have to be creative with your exit plan (assuming you plan to leave at some point). Research staff is NOT considered a stepping stone to tenure track positions in universities (unless negotiated before entering), although transiting to industry is relatively easy.

Human Resources

Hello! Thank you for not only crafting a very thoughtful review, but addressing many niche things that researchers often want to know. It's clear that you have put a lot of thought into the things that might matter to our scientific researchers. Our stability comes from the fact that we operate mostly through donations through ALSAC, our fundraising and awareness arm. This makes us less dependent on grant money than other academic institutions. Memphis is extremely affordable; those considering moving to Memphis only have to contact Human Resources if they'd like more information on neighborhoods. Thank you, as well, for recognizing our core facilities as well as the clinical trials and GMP; all are part of the infrastructure that makes St. Jude stand out. To address complacency, we encourage personal growth and professional development among even our higher-ranking staff. We also hope that current employees who notice this feel empowered to contact Employee Relations or EERS so that a potential problem can be addressed. As for the commute, we can't argue that the suburbs tend to be a longer drive! Those wishing to be closer to campus will find safe, beautiful neighborhoods with great schools in midtown and East Memphis, and our Talent Acquisition team can help families find a perfect fit that is closer to work. And finally, thank you for bringing up how our research career ladder might compare to those of other institutions. Each institution and organization vary in what they are seeking and the knowledge and experience that might work best for their own mission. We see our research staff accept positions at varied levels around the world, depending on what ends up being a fit for their science. As you point out, however, this is something that those interviewing for roles here at St. Jude might want to bring up during the interview process. Thank you again for your wonderful review. We hope that you continue to do great work for us for years to come!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Mission, Leadership, Benefits...This is the best place to work!

Apr 28, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Having worked in various industries over the years, St. Jude has the best response when you think, "why do I want to go to work today?" The St. Jude mission says it all, and when you combine that with great leadership and the best benefits package I have had, it puts St. Jude Children's Research hospital at the very top of the list of places to work.

Cons

The only negative I can say is the location in downtown Memphis. This is not really due to the area, but due to the 40 minute drive I have from my home in east Shelby county.

Human Resources

Thank you for such a wonderful review! And thank you for always keeping our mission at the forefront of your work. We are grateful for your dedication, especially when you factor in the long drive! Memphis metro is a sprawling area which is great because we can offer bustling downtown neighborhoods and beautiful farms, but it can make the commute a little further! Thank you for all that you do.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Finding Cures, Saving Children, everyday!

Apr 24, 2019 - Director in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing Leadership & CEO, people and the mission, can't be beat.

Cons

Could be more progressive in flexible work arrangements/ satellite locations for support employees to check in and work. Located downtown and so many people live in the suburbs.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Thanks for your review! We are happy that you are so invested in our mission. Flexible work schedules have been discussed before and will continue to be on the table in the future.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee

Animal Research Tech

Aug 22, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

Location is in downtown Memphis TN

Recruiter

Thank you for your review! The people really are what make St. Jude so special. They are the heart and soul of our organization. It is unclear whether you are referring to the downtown location being a "con" or the fact that our campus is in Memphis, TN. St. Jude is on the outskirts of Memphis, a city that is growing and thriving, with new fantastic shops and restaurants opening all the time Although we are conveniently located to downtown we have a gated campus full of free parking lots and structures that are exclusively for our employees, patients and their families, and for visitors. We hope that whatever you see as the downside of our location in downtown Memphis can become a positive aspect of the work you do at St. Jude. Thank you again for writing a review and for being part of our team!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome

Aug 7, 2018 - Biomedical Engineer in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, employee engagement, mission, fair compensation, opportunity for growth, amenities

Cons

working downtown while living in the suburbs

Recruiter

Thank you so much for the review and all of your hard work!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work as a Biostatistician

Mar 29, 2018 - Bio Statistician in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership, Mission, Coworkers, Sense of purpose, facilities, excellent cafeteria, fitness center. Defined career ladder with room to advance. Continuing education opportunities. Health Insurance benefits are good and start on day 1.

Cons

Downtown Memphis traffic, big campus so it takes a while to learn your way around. Orientation is very helpful.

Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear how you enjoy the work you do as a Biostatistician at St. Jude. We are also proud to know that you see exactly how your work is making a difference for our patients and their families. Ergonomic options should be available to you through your department. You can speak with your administrative director regarding your ergonomic requests. We try to make these options available to our employees, within reason and keeping with the department's budget. Thank you again for your review. We hope you continue to enjoy the work you do and all the amenities that St. Jude provides to employees.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing Place to Work

Feb 5, 2018 - Director in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked for 3 very large companies over the years- St Jude is head and shoulders above anything I've experienced. The benefits they provide (non-typical) are very cool. The pride and commitment to Finding Cures and Saving Children is paramount here. You don't find great culture at many places. The pay and benefits are both well above average.

Cons

Parking can be an issue if you're not early. The drive to downtown is sometimes hectic. Because of the drive to do so much, stress and work load is sometimes overwhelming.

Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We are so glad you enjoy the work you do and the benefits offered at St. Jude. There are ample parking garage spaces available, but often people who do not arrive early do not have the time to drive up to higher levels of the garage. As far as traffic goes, that solely depends on where you live. Midtown and East Memphis offer good commutes. Thank you for your feedback regarding New Employee Orientation. We will share this with our Learning and Development Department which organizes orientation. Thanks again!

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

great work place

May 15, 2017 - Research Lab Specialist in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent research platform, flexibility and benefits

Cons

location is in downtown area

9. 5.0
      Former Intern

Great Volunteen Program

Mar 31, 2017 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly environment; always looking to improve work environment

Cons

Downtown location requires some travel, but not much

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Truly is a Best Place to Work

Jan 30, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The mission alone is a reason to work here. However, St. Jude also has many other attributes that are attractive to employees. It offers a good benefits package and seems to value employee input. While other organizations I've worked for have asked for employees' opinions, they have disregarded them after receiving feedback. St. Jude truly listens. It also offers professional development opportunities and an employee recognition program. The hospital also emphasizes employee physician and mental health through an on-site, free fitness center, bikes to ride across campus, mobile mammograms, and free yearly health screenings. There are also health incentives.

Cons

The downtown location can be congested during commuting hours. Surrounding neighborhood is uneven, but there are long-range plans to improve that. The hospital has great security, though, and secure parking. Cafeteria lines can be long at lunch. Building names can be confusing.

Recruiter

Thank you so much for the thorough review of your likes and dislikes about St. Jude and the surrounding area! We are so glad you are enjoying all the benefits we have in place to make work a better place for our employees. Sometimes it can get congested around campus but that is the case with any large workplace where most employees start work around 8-9 AM. Overall, commutes for our employees are quick and easy. Thank you again for your review. It is truly appreciated.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 15 Reviews