KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Engaged Employer

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Add a Review

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated Jan 12, 2021

Found 71 of over 984 reviews

4.5
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Chair, President and CEO James Downing
James Downing
Pros
  • "Great benefits such as health insurance and retirement plan(in 72 reviews)

• "great place to work with benefits(in 63 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The only negative I can say is the location in downtown Memphis(in 15 reviews)

• "The existence of childhood cancer(in 11 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    Talk anonymously with Healthcare professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

current job

Jan 12, 2021 - Postdoctoral Fellow in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits such as health insurance and retirement plan

Cons

The city is very rural and might be boring to live a non-scientific life

Human Resources

Thanks for leaving a review! We'd like to think that we take good care of our postdoctoral fellows, so it's great to see that you value the health insurance and retirement plans. While Memphis is a smaller metropolitan area than its coastal counterparts, it's still a large city with many amenities, most notably a thriving music and restaurant scene, quick access to outdoor activities, and a wide array of festivals year-round. While the pandemic has put a temporary halt to much of what makes Memphis a cultural landmark, there's still plenty to do outside of the lab. If you're having trouble finding activities, please email your postdoc recruiter and ask to be put in touch with Talent Acquisition within Human Resources. They'll help you out.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Excellant Place to Work

Nov 30, 2020 - Senior Digital Designer Engineer in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

This was the most rewarding job I've had to date. You are literally saving lives with the work that you do. There is so much joy in creating designs and experiences that are helping people in such a dramatic way. Everyone is so open to helping each other grow and exceed at their careers. Upper management is such a joy to work with as well. Even the CEO and department heads will make time for you and mentor you. Never been more proud of the organization I worked for. I was very upset I had to relocate for my husband's job. They offer great benefits and compensation. There's even a gym and cafeteria on-site for all employees to use. The campus is gorgeous.

Cons

I have no cons to speak of.

Human Resources

Thank you so much for your touching review of your experience! We're so glad that you felt valued, mentored, and supported. Best of luck in your future endeavors. We hope you and your husband are able to visit Memphis often!

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A great alternative to industry or university for science lovers

Jul 10, 2020 - Senior Research Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. More stable compare to scientist positions in industry or universities (where you can retire from if you really want to) 2. Decent compensation plus great benefits, particularly when taking into account the relatively lower living expenses ($350,000 for a 4b, 4b mansion in the city outskirts, which are safe and pretty) 3. Great infrastructure and core facilities: almost the only limitation is your capability and maturity. Depending on the group joined, one can get either more academic (publishing high impact paper) or industry like experience (R&D, GMP, clinical trials) or both.

Cons

1. Talented scientist easily stands out and may become complacent. 2. Prepare to commute 30-50 min to downtown from Germantown or Collierville (there is no good public school downtown) 3. You have to be creative with your exit plan (assuming you plan to leave at some point). Research staff is NOT considered a stepping stone to tenure track positions in universities (unless negotiated before entering), although transiting to industry is relatively easy.

Human Resources

Hello! Thank you for not only crafting a very thoughtful review, but addressing many niche things that researchers often want to know. It's clear that you have put a lot of thought into the things that might matter to our scientific researchers. Our stability comes from the fact that we operate mostly through donations through ALSAC, our fundraising and awareness arm. This makes us less dependent on grant money than other academic institutions. Memphis is extremely affordable; those considering moving to Memphis only have to contact Human Resources if they'd like more information on neighborhoods. Thank you, as well, for recognizing our core facilities as well as the clinical trials and GMP; all are part of the infrastructure that makes St. Jude stand out. To address complacency, we encourage personal growth and professional development among even our higher-ranking staff. We also hope that current employees who notice this feel empowered to contact Employee Relations or EERS so that a potential problem can be addressed. As for the commute, we can't argue that the suburbs tend to be a longer drive! Those wishing to be closer to campus will find safe, beautiful neighborhoods with great schools in midtown and East Memphis, and our Talent Acquisition team can help families find a perfect fit that is closer to work. And finally, thank you for bringing up how our research career ladder might compare to those of other institutions. Each institution and organization vary in what they are seeking and the knowledge and experience that might work best for their own mission. We see our research staff accept positions at varied levels around the world, depending on what ends up being a fit for their science. As you point out, however, this is something that those interviewing for roles here at St. Jude might want to bring up during the interview process. Thank you again for your wonderful review. We hope that you continue to do great work for us for years to come!

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place

Dec 21, 2020 - Postdoctoral Fellow in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and salary here

Cons

I don’t see any problem

Human Resources

Thank you for choosing to spend your postdoctoral fellowship with us! We're happy to offer a very competitive postdoc salary and we hope that you'll have all of the resources that you need to continue to further your research career. Adjustment to a new city, especially during a pandemic, can be difficult, so please reach out to Human Resources if you need some help finding resources. Thank you!

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Wonderful Place to work, hard to catch on to task.

Jan 8, 2020 - Administrative Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team members, great benefits, amazing CEO, Maternity Leave. Its an amazing feeling that you know you play a part in saving the lives of countless children. I tell everyone just as much as St. Jude love their patients, they love the employees the same. We are always updated on everything that is new or changing.

Cons

Managers can be trained a bit better. I came in without a manual and as a assistant so form of job notes are needed. I've been here a little over a year and everyday I am finding new ways of doing things. There are so many departments that do their own thing and know on knows unless you are in a certain department. More job training is needed and managers should be able to help and assist but they don't most of the time either. It is very hard thinking you know how to perform a function, then told it wrong. The information should already be there for us to succeed and its not. It makes work draining and takes longer to complete work when you do not have clue where to start.

Talent Experience Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We agree that you are on the front line and oftentimes are the first point of contact for new employees, visitors, and potential candidates. Your suggestions are valid. If you're comfortable doing so, please contact Employee Relations within Human Resources and let them know how beneficial a manual of processes would be. If you are not already a member of TOAST, we would suggest joining so that you have a reliable network of administrative support. Thank you again for your thoughtful review and recommending steps we can take to continue to better ourselves as an organization.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Sep 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and work environment. Also, parking is for free.

Cons

Not much to talk about.

Human Resources

Hi! Thank you for your review! We're glad that you enjoy your work environment! While parking was close to maxed out before a lot of our workforce began working from home, it was always free! (And will remain free.) The Compensation team is currently redoing the career ladders for the research track and will have an announcement shortly. Our hope is that it will benefit our research employees significantly and provide a clearer path of upward mobility. If you'd like to review the career ladder for your role, please email Compensation and one of our compensation analysts will contact you. Thank you for the suggestion!

7. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great place to work

Aug 20, 2020 - Post Doctoral Research Fellow in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great facilities, great people, great benefits

Cons

Diversity is lacking and parental leave is not what one would expect from such a large company with a heartfelt mission

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at St. Jude! We are glad that our resources are helping you during your postdoctoral appointment. We are hopeful that you have stayed in touch with our Office of Diversity and Inclusion. On August 6, we announced the list of council members and the leadership behind the new Black Employees and Allies Resource Group, which is the first of many resource groups that we are creating. Please consider contacting the D&I board and letting your thoughts and ideas be heard. And finally, we have recently expanded our parental leave policies to better accommodate our employees. If you have questions at all about parental leave or FLMA, please contact Human Resources so that we can help you find what works for your growing family.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great benefits!

Apr 14, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are amazing! Fantastic health insurance for about 15% of what I paid through my previous employers. Moving from a similar position somewhere else with similar salary was like getting a $10k raise because of the insurance costs. Other great benefits --- the on-site gym is wonderful, lots of opportunities for training and development, community feeling!

Cons

Parking is a challenge sometimes, but the Parking Can Be Fun program has great perks to encourage off-site parking with free shuttles.

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources

Hi! Thank you for leaving a review! We're so glad that the benefits are such a selling point for you. We strive to make sure our employees and their families feel valued and cared for. Thank you for your work and dedication!

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A Great Place To Work!

Oct 17, 2019 - Research Technologist in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude runs like a well-oiled machine. A company I can be proud to work for, with a mission I really care about. Great people, great management always willing to help if you are unsure about something. Everyone is treated with respect, no matter what your position is. The benefits are great. They are always going the extra mile for their employees and their well being. Kay Kafe is awesome, you will never go hungry at St. Jude. There is definitely room for advancement, and a ton of learning opportunities! Work/life balance is normal, the same for any full-time position. Competitive wages. I absolutely love it here!

Cons

The elevator in parking garage 3.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Thank you for not only recognizing our mission and benefits, but appreciating the lesser-recognized perks as well! We strive for Kay Kafe to continue to serve all of our patients, families, and employees with healthy and balanced meals, regardless of dietary restrictions. We're glad that you have both upward mobility and learning opportunities! As for the elevator, if you haven't already, contact Facilities, Operations and Maintenance (FOM) and let them know what you've experienced. They would appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Breakthrough translational research and a place to grow!

Apr 23, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude is an amazing place to learn and grow! There is breakthrough translational research and collaboration among the researchers. The benefits are great, cost of living in Memphis is low and there is no state income tax.

Cons

St.Jude as a hospital is well known but it comes as a surprise to many that we do cutting edge research.

Human Resources

Hi! We always appreciate when people take the time to mention Memphis and the many benefits of living here! And thank you for the recognition of our sprawling research department and the many labs here that are dedicated to research of not just pediatric cancer, but the many other catastrophic illnesses that affect our patients and children around the world.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 71 Reviews