St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Employee Reviews about "jude"

Updated Nov 12, 2021

Healthcare

8h

a

Counselor

Just started a new job as an LMHC 7 weeks ago. It’s fee for service. Was told during the interview I’d have a full caseload always and have more stable clients. However, I’ve been getting at least 1 no show/cancel per day and found out that I don’t get paid for it unless the client pays. Now with these no show / late cancels, I have less clients and no new intakes are being put in my schedule even though I’ve alerted the intake dept several times. Is it bad I want to leave already?

5 Comments

Healthcare

31.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/medicine-2/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=St. Jude Children's Research Hospital~28315
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Because the campus is growing it can be difficult to find a parking place if you are not an early bird.(in 15 reviews)
  • "Management does not have your back.(in 12 reviews)
  • "worked long hours and lack of flexibility on work location(in 8 reviews)
  • "Some managers have no clue about potential talents(in 7 reviews)
  • "Often employees are trapped between a direct supervisor and a 'dotted line' supervisor, and when desires clash, or one feels that the employee is more loyal to the other, the employee loses out.(in 5 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "jude"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best Place I've Ever Served

Nov 12, 2021 - Staff Chaplain in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is a overall spirit of comradery and joy in supporting children and families. There is an openness to new ideas. The benefits are phenomenal!

Cons

There are absolutely no cons to working/serving at St. Jude.

Human Resources

Thank you so much for your kind words! We appreciate your service to St. Jude and our patient families.

2. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Nurses are dispensable and it shows

Aug 12, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are great, most team mates believe in our mission and have a passion for pediatric oncology. Unit managers are mostly great. Somewhat flexible scheduling in some departments. Diversity is a focus.

Cons

Lots of changes have happened in the last 3 years to move away from being a unique and wonderful place to work and more toward a generic, typical hospital setting. St. Jude used to have a very nice night shift differential, but that was significantly decreased not long ago. I recently learned a nurse that started less than a year ago makes 12.5% more than me per hour (without her differential) and I’ve worked at the institution for years and have advanced the clinical advancement program offered (multiple certifications, trained countless employees, etc). Pediatric oncology isn’t always an easy field to work in and it’s quite a slap in the face to learn how much more new employees are being laid compared to long haulers. Administration (not direct managers, they’re wonderful) seems to put a lot of faith in the “there’s no place like St. Jude” reputation, which is reflected in the attitude of long term employees being disposable/replaceable with new hires.

4 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We’re glad that you enjoy your team and that you’ve recognized diversity as a focus of this institution. Most importantly, however, we’d like to look further into your situation. Internal equity is in place to properly compensate those that have been here a long time as well as those that seek advanced degrees and education relative to others on their same team or within the department. Please consider talking to Employee Relations so that they can look into this as well as further explain the reasons behind the shift differential changes. Reviews are anonymous, but if you feel comfortable contacting Employee Relations, they can possibly assist you. If you have questions about your own career trajectory, contact the compensation team for information and guidance. Thank you for your willingness to speak up and thank you for your 10+ years of dedication to the patients of St. Jude.

3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Rampant sexism and racism! Good research though.

Sep 27, 2021 - Scientist in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Research done is really good. In many fields such as Hematology, Immunology, Infectious Diseases, Structural Biology, there are many top-tier labs. Giving two stars instead of one because of the amazing research done in fundamental biology!

Cons

I really don't know who are these St. Jude employees leaving such good reviews in Glassdoor! It's now a common knowledge that a lot of people are quitting. St. Jude doesn't appreciate their employees! Management allows people, especially white male, to "walk all over" minorities! It has no system in place where employees can complain completely anonymously, if they face sexism and racism. Take a look at the employee directory: you'll see that all higher-up positions are crowded by white, middle-aged men! Petty salary. No scope for promotions, continuing-education, professional development! Rather managers discourage these aspects of career development.

4 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

With employees from over 100 countries, St. Jude understands the importance of diversity and inclusion (D&I). Our VP of D&I is a key member of our senior leadership team, reporting directly to our CEO. Our D&I office works to improve the employee experience through many education and programming initiatives. The 2021 St. Jude engagement survey was completed by 82% of employees with an overall engagement score of 90%. We are gratified that 98% of employees indicated they are proud to work for St. Jude – a place where employees can do their best work to find cures and save children from catastrophic diseases. We are sorry that your experience did not align with our values and would like more details to appropriately address any issues. We offer an anonymous method to report concerns through Ethics Point if you are willing to share. Go to www.ethicspoint.com or call at 1-800-433-1847. We welcome your additional insight.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Ambitious and unstoppable

Jun 23, 2021 - Director in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude CRH takes on incredible goals. Getting to work with the best and brightest and aiming for the stars brings out the best in me. Even the dreariest day is made brighter with the awareness that all employees can share in our contributions to the mission.

Cons

St. Jude is in the process of adapting to incredible growth over the past several years with more growth on the horizon. Some internal systems still seem homespun. But change initiatives are in process and most are being carried out methodically. With such a mission and a team of people committed to moving the needle on catastrophic childhood diseases all around the world, sometimes work/life balance gets off kilter.

Human Resources

Hi! Thank you for such a thoughtful review. It's true that a place of so much hope can brighten a bad day. Your remarks about the growth are spot-on. There are always growing pains, but as you pointed out, we are in the process of some sweeping changes to make systems run more smoothly. Finally, this is a great suggestion. We allow vacation days to be carried over to help our workforce prepare for events such as parental leave and prolonged illness or recuperation, but Living Well helps us incentivize people to take their vacation days by offering points towards gift cards for those employees that better utilize their time off. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your review!

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place but..

Aug 9, 2021 - Registered Nurse, BSN in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude is doing an awesome job in providing cancer treatment and research for the future. Great nurse to patients ratio. Supportive coworkers. Great benefits among other hospitals.

Cons

Coming from another big institution, it is pretty clear that the higher up is trying to change what makes St. Jude great and unique in term of nursing and patient care into a generic hospital. Higher up management does not listen to nurse's voice. As proven by never following through with their promises when they come to ask for our opinion. Nursing in the middle of pandemic is hard as it is, and not a lot of support from the higher up to retain current loyal employees. Not a lot of nursing autonomy at St. Jude compare to others.

2 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Hi! Thank you for your feedback. Your passion for your job is clear, and we are so glad that someone as passionate as you is at St. Jude looking after our patients. We are glad that you have support within your team, too. Nursing during a pandemic is extremely difficult and we know that you need as much support as you can get. If you think you would benefit from speaking to someone, please consider contacting Employee Relations or the Employee Assistance Program. If you feel comfortable doing so, please consider speaking with your designated nurse manager and finding a time for you both to speak to your director about some of the issues you have noticed. We certainly do not want to alienate our devoted nursing staff, who have exhibited nothing but grace and composure throughout a very uncertain time. Finally, if you would like to speak to someone outside of nursing, you can email our SVP of HR directly who is always willing to assist an employee. Thank you again for your hard work.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Rewarding work

Oct 7, 2021 - RN Auditor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Whatever your position is at St. Jude, we all work toward the same goal. Most all employees are fully dedicated to the company mission.

Cons

St. Jude has grown quite large and sometimes we can feel siloed in our departments.

Human Resources

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your 10+ years of service to our patients, staff, and mission.

7. 3.0

Wonderful Community & an Amazing Place to Work

Sep 14, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love the community, the campus, the environment. There are many tools to help you succeed and prosper. Executives are not micromanagers and team leads are allowed to be very flexible with their teams. We have employees from all around the world and the diversity is amazing! They allow all departments and team managers to create their own schedules for their teams with the ability to work remote or hybrid remote/campus. Benefits are AMAZING! We have an onsite clinic, pharmacy, car wash, gym, 2 starbucks, a bank,and literally anything else you can ever need. Words can't describe the amazing things that happen at St. Jude. It truly is a blessing to be a part of this community!

Cons

However, there seems to be a drastic contrast of privilege between hourly employees and those working salary. Those who are salary can come and go as they wish and their PTO balances are astronomical because they arent micromanaged like hourly employees despite hourly employees working twice as hard and having to be here 8 full hours everyday! Department chairs are practically non-existent in operations & it all falls on administration and direct managers which is an absolute nightmare because one manager can be super cool and the other can be an evil person! for example, our department does not have a dress code. If my manager sees me without dress slacks on EVERYDAY, I am publicly scolded in front of my coworkers. Work schedules are up to the team managers and every single manager in our department is very flexible and very nice to their employees. For me, if I am not here at 8AM on the dot, I get publicly scolded in front of my coworkers. I get asked almost on a weekly basis why I "don't work overtime like my coworkers"... Over 75% of our department is remote and my team manager insists on our entire team being onsite every day when 90%+ of our work load is virtual and more than half of our department is empty. Need to make up an hour of work this weekend because of a doctors appointment you had on Tuesday? cool, no problem! Can you do it remotely on a project that has been sitting on hold for months? NO, you are forced to sit in traffic for an hour and come onsite to make up that one hour. I understand that this is the general difference between hourly and exempt employees, but the level at which the privileges contrast, its depressing. There is no oversight on power tripping managers and it becomes miserable when you see how everyone else in your department is so happy and comfortable while your manager is a nightmare. Directors, managers, and department chairs speak amongst themselves and if you try to apply to another department, your manager will find out through the "great vine" and it makes things very awkward and it jeopardizes your application to the other department. You feel trapped when you have a bad/evil manager. Lastly, if you are applying to any job at St. Jude that lists "And anything else that maybe asked of you" or something along those terms in the job description, RUN!!!! This means you will be forced into doing executive level tasks that are waaaaay above your pay grade and there is nothing you can do about it.

2 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review! We appreciate your recognition of so many of our benefits and perks for our employees. Thank you for pointing out our flexibility as we learn how to adapt to a changing world. Thank you as well for pointing out some of the challenges you have faced. Would you consider scheduling time with our employee relations team to discuss your experience? The ER team can also better explain the transfer process between departments and the reason that job descriptions contain certain language with regard to other tasks. Also, it will give you the opportunity to document the actions of your manager and allow us to investigate whether there have been infractions. Please consider contacting the team so that we are able to help. Thank you again for your sincere and earnest review; it is clear that you enjoy your role and are seeking for ways to improve St. Jude.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

A "bad" day at work is very rare, even during a pandemic!

Sep 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude is the only employer I have ever worked with that truly cares about staff. The administration is constantly checking in to ensure that employees are receiving the benefits we deserve, and asking how they can improve work life for ALL, not just those at the top. From Blue Sky initiatives submitted by staff, to minor adjustments that have major impacts, administration continues to work with staff to ensure St. Jude is the BEST, both for patients and employees. Administration really listens, and addresses issues, even if they are difficult to tackle.

Cons

Like many institutions, senior administration is currently rather homogenous. However, our CEO has recognized this for the problem it is, and has dedicated significant resources to overhauling and drastically improving diversity and inclusion efforts. The changes over the past year have been visible and measurable. I applaud administration for tackling this difficult topic, and having the character to both empower and improve access to opportunities for women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, immigrants, and all others that bring diversity to our faculty and staff. We are not quite where we should be, we absolutely need more women, LGBTQ+ and POC represented in our senior leadership, but we are certainly making serious efforts to get there. I am confident that this aspect of employment at St. Jude will only continue to improve.

Human Resources

Thank you for addressing an important topic with a heartfelt approach. With the establishment of the Office of Diversity and Inclusion came so many opportunities for improvement, possibilities for the future, and a sense of urgency among our workforce and leadership to prioritize this initiative. Our employees have spoken and we have listened. We're thrilled that we can confidently say that we've heard you and are taking the steps to making changes. Thank you so much for your candor and dedication to the employees and patients of St. Jude.

9. 5.0

Great place to work

Apr 13, 2021 - Postdoctoral Fellow in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, salary, people are amazing, collaborative

Cons

Nothing with St. Jude itself, but Memphis

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources

We're glad you've found so much to love about your position! Thanks for leaving us a review. We encourage all postdocs and positions to contact Human Resources' Talent Acquisition team if having trouble finding things to do and people to meet in Memphis. Even though the city is still partially shut down to the pandemic, the team can help you find plenty to love about Memphis. Helping to showcase all the things to love about the city helps us to attract top talent to St. Jude.

10. 5.0

Awesome place to work

Apr 22, 2021 - Administration in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

employee appreciation, commitment to development

Cons

no cons working at St. Jude

Human Resources

Hi! Thanks for your review. We're glad that you feel appreciated as one of our valued employees! If you have ideas for how we can better serve our workforce, please contact Human Resources and let us know. Thank you!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 94 Reviews