St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Employee Reviews about "working at st"

Updated Apr 22, 2021

Join the conversation on

Healthcare

32K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/medicine-2/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=St. Jude Children's Research Hospital~28315
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The benefits have been great for me and I really couldn't ask for more in regards to this.(in 175 reviews)
  • "Great people and the institution really values its employees.(in 56 reviews)
  • "pay is good it’s been good(in 25 reviews)
  • "The culture is amazing.(in 24 reviews)
  • "The entire campus is employee friendly.(in 23 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "working at st"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Awesome place to work

Apr 22, 2021 - Administration in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

employee appreciation, commitment to development

Cons

no cons working at St. Jude

Human Resources

Hi! Thanks for your review. We're glad that you feel appreciated as one of our valued employees! If you have ideas for how we can better serve our workforce, please contact Human Resources and let us know. Thank you!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing people doing amazing things.

Sep 8, 2020 - Research Technician in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude's values and missions can be seen throughout the staff whether they are serving in the cafeteria, handing out flyers for upcoming events or sanitizing common spaces. Fair pay and clear ladder of growth in place. Constant events for patients and employees to keep morale high. Great work life balance.

Cons

I have no complaints about working at St. Jude.

Human Resources

Thank you for mentioning employee morale and our efforts to engage our employees in an increasingly virtual workplace. We are open to more ideas on how to keep a keen focus on St. Jude's culture as we continue to navigate the pandemic and its effects on our institution. Thank you for your hard work!

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Meaningful work in encouraging environment

Oct 15, 2019 - Clinical Research Assistant II
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture of excellence is tactile here. From a smiling guard who remembers your name to meaningful conversations across work stations... people truly care about the quality of their work and interactions. I have been made to feel empowered, involved, and valued. It is also clear that balance is expected and no one is/should be working to burn-out.

Cons

I have not come across any downsides of working at St Jude.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

This is a spectacular (and helpful!) review. We are so grateful that you decided to accept an offer here despite a less-than-ideal hiring process. We're especially excited that you feel so empowered and involved in your work. We will take this valid criticism to Human Resources so that they will be aware of it in the future and not potentially lose another incredible candidate. Thank you again for joining us!

4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great institution for postdocs

Aug 23, 2019 - Postdoctoral Research Fellow
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was a postdoc at St. Jude for a year-and-a-half. In the time I was there, I never once met anyone who wasn't friendly and helpful. They do a great job with their postdoc program including better pay and benefits than most academic institutions. Overall, St. Jude is a very special place that absolutely lives up to its reputation.

Cons

The biggest downside of working at St. Jude is the city of Memphis. This seems to be the biggest complaint of most of my co-workers. Obviously, there's not much that St. Jude can do about this.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. Our postdoc community is a vital part of our research and we are happy to offer great pay and benefits to all of you. Furthermore, it's great to hear that your experience lived up to St. Jude's reputation. Memphis is a growing city with some growing pains, but we urge our employees to learn more about Memphis by joining St. Jude Dinearounds, Memphis Mojo tours, and the St. Jude theater group. All are great ways to meet coworkers and connect with the city in exciting ways. Memphis is an integral part of St. Jude, as St. Jude is an integral part of Memphis, and employees with suggestions on how to improve newcomers' perception are welcome to contact Human Resources. Thank you again! We're glad to have had you!

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A great place to work!

Apr 3, 2018 - Executive Assistant in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is a great place to work. The mission is solid and the management is committed to staying current and providing opportunities for growth and advancement in all career paths, while staying true to the cause of finding cures and saving lives. There is a connection/camaraderie between the staff that helps to promote a caring and thoughtful environment. The benefits are also great. If you are fortunate enough to work at St. Jude your life will be truly enriched.

Cons

There are no cons working at St. Jude.

Recruiter

Thank you for your glowing review and your 3+ years of service! We are thrilled to see how you enjoy both your coworkers and the work you do here. Keep it up!

6. 2.0
    Current Employee

Management issues cloud the St Jude mission

Feb 3, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Diverse community of talented physicians and scientists 2. Good benefits

Cons

1. Terrible management. Management is the most demoralizing thing about working at St Jude. Often employees are trapped between a direct supervisor and a "dotted line" supervisor, and when desires clash, or one feels that the employee is more loyal to the other, the employee loses out. This is a no win situation that does not seem to get remedied. 2. No training or managerial oversight. As a new employee, it is not an unreasonable expectation to be provided with a list of applications and tools that need to be requested (and even how to go about placing such a request) so that one can fully perform his/her job. Training should also fall under a Director or Manager's responsibility. Being told "go ask ______," is not training. It's very discouraging to me to see my employees were not trained well because training is contingent on who the "trainee" was that was responsible for imparting bits of knowledge. The lack of training in the day-to-day mechanics of clinical research is not setting this institution up for success. 3. Inequity in employee treatment. The work environment at SJ is very Orwellian: "All are created equal, but some are more equal than others."

7 people found this review helpful

Recruiter

We are sorry to hear that any St. Jude employee has had a negative experience with a manager. No organization is immune to difficulties in relations between managers and employees, but St. Jude has made a priority of providing the type of training you mentioned. Two years ago the St. Jude Leadership Academy was created and all directors have since graduated from it. In September 2017, the first class of managers began and they will graduate in April. The next class of managers will begin this summer and all managers will eventually get this training which includes intense exercises and discussions of the importance and value of relationships, good decision-making, responsibilities of being in leadership, financial acumen and more. Additionally, Leadership Squared, a newer component of the academy, has just begun its second class of directors who will have a structured mentoring relationship with an executive. Even the new performance management system, rolled out in January, will create more opportunities for employees to meet with their managers on a regular basis and hopefully work more closely as a result. It will take time for the benefits of these and other initiatives to resonate within our culture, but rest assured that providing the training which promotes healthy manager/employee relationships is a priority at St. Jude.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Senior Scientist (11 years at St. Jude)

Dec 13, 2017 - Senior Scientist in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

We have a CEO that is amazing with a high degree if integrity. Dr. Downing has made a concerted effort to incorporate employee suggestions. He cares about the patients AND his employees. St. Jude benefits are fantastic especially the health insurance that has a deductible less than $100. Work/life balance is important here. I love our mission.

Cons

There are no cons to working at St. Jude other than getting promoted can be challenging so negotiate your salary and position before accepting the job. The quality of life in Memphis has dramatically improved the past ten years here in the City, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

Recruiter

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review! These suggestions are fantastic. We are so glad you enjoy the work, benefits, and pay at St. Jude. Our partnership with the City of Memphis gives us high hopes for the future of the city as a great place to live and work.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

St. Jude is a dream job

Oct 19, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Working with the brightest and most motivated folks on the planet. 2. Contributing to the mission of saving lives and finding cures. 3. Being inspired daily by the children we serve.

Cons

I've been here 5 years, and I still haven't found the cons of working at St. Jude.

1 person found this review helpful

Recruiter

Thank you for your review! So glad you enjoy the work you do here!

9. 5.0
    Current Intern

Nurse Extern

Oct 13, 2017 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful staff, everyone is very helpful. The bond I build with children and families here is amazing. I Love St. Jude!

Cons

There are no Cons to working at St. Jude.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

The BEST place to work

Jan 30, 2017 - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

At St. Jude, I'm able to use my skills and energy to help save the lives of children around the world. Every person who works here -- from the people who clean the offices to the people who work in the labs to the people who cook the food -- know that they play a role in a much larger mission. That knowledge gives meaning and fulfillment to us all. At the head of our organization is Dr. James Downing, who constantly works to find new ways to connect with employees and families alike. He is a great communicator, who makes a concerted effort to interact with staff through Town Hall meetings, eating lunch with employees in the cafeteria, and attending many events where he can meet and talk with staff. I truly believe that St. Jude allows me to make a contribution to something that will reverberate long after I am gone.

Cons

The only downside of working at St. Jude is that it is a fairly long drive each morning.

Recruiter

Thank you so much for your review! So glad you are enjoying your employment with St. Jude. We usually speak to the "Cons" portion of these reviews, but as you know, the length of drive time to work is entirely dependent upon where one chooses to live. There are plenty of affordable housing choices within a 10-15 minute drive to the campus, for those who would be relocating to the area for a position with us.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews