St. Jude Medical Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Miles D. White

Pros
  • Good work life balance but now it is Abbott (in 32 reviews)

• The company has placed great people in leadership to keep team members motivated (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance, stressful (in 24 reviews)

• Matrix organization leads to upper management being easily misled as to what is actually happening in remote plants (in 33 reviews)

"I love my job."

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Townshipin Cities, MN
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Townshipin Cities, MN

Pros

My highest motivation is job satisfaction. St. Jude Medical has a dedicated, highly educated, and highly productive staff. The company has a variety of highly successful products. The company has a culture that encourages helpfulness among employees.

Cons

St. Jude Medical doesn't have some of the on-site amenities that larger companies have, like a cash machine, or a barber, or shoe shine, or massages. There are no employee clubs. The company does not own a golf course or resort. At my last job I had all these, as well as underground parking and a large window office. However, even though I have none of those amenities, I enjoy my job at St. Jude Medical much more than I did at the large company.

Advice to Management

Thanks for doing such a good job motivating employees and selecting talented employees. Thanks for fostering a sense of team.

2. "Steady Employer, Good work culture"

Current Employee - Manager in Sylmar, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sylmar, CA

Pros

Great Co workers, everyone takes pride in their work. Seior Management has led company well and job is quite stable. Pay is competitive with industry

Cons

Recently the company is becoming like a big company, with associated politics and such. A little frustrating for people who have been used to working in a small company environment

Advice to Management

Middle management should not be afraid of failure and should be willing to take risks once in a while. Thats how great products come about.

3. "Friendly laid-back atmosphere"

Current Employee - Meteorology Technician in Liberty, SC
    Current Employee - Meteorology Technician in Liberty, SC

Pros

Great medical processing plant with great capabilities for future growth and success

Cons

It is easy to be un-noticed if a person does not get involved.

Advice to Management

Keep putting the right postive people in key positions and the company has know other choice than to succeed.

5. "positive if you can work independently"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

good compensation and good benefits

Cons

little admin help to support sales staff

Advice to Management

take better care of clinical reps

6. "A truly great place to work"

Former Employee - Internal Communications Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Internal Communications Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

St. Jude Medical is a place where you'll often hear, "Let's get 'er done." People pull together to do the right thing on a constant basis. There is an underlying sense of fierce employee pride. They know their work helps people live better lives. I would often hear people describe SJM as the "smallest large company in the world," when they described how the company thought and operated. It had kept the small company mentality intact, even as it expanded globally.

Cons

Like many companies, SJM is facing significant marketplace contraction. The former hub and spoke organizational structure that placed tremendous emphasis on the divisions, with little to no visible leadership from Corporate, is breaking down. Painfully. While this is a step in the right direction, it will take several years for the company to reshape its identity as a cohesive entity.

Advice to Management

This is a message to members of the C-suite. Please, step up. Start talking with your employees. Let them know what's important to you, what's important to the company. Your invisibility debilitates your employees, especially those who work at Corporate. They want to know that you care about them and the role they play on behalf of the company. Even though you might think you're invisible, you're never not leading. So lead. It's what you get paid for.

"Enjoyable"

Current Employee - Senior Regulatory Affairs Specialist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Regulatory Affairs Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at St. Jude Medical full-time

Pros

It is a great company to work for overall. I have a good work-life balance, coworkers, and benefits and compensation are fair. I plan on spending a while at St. Jude.

Cons

St. Jude, as with many large companies, isn't as efficient as it should. Mediocre performance is deemed as acceptable, which is frustrating when you are a high-performing person.

8. "Informative and positive internship"

Former Employee - Quality Systems Intern in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Quality Systems Intern in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For an intern it was pretty good pay. The people were all friendly and helpful, no one made me feel inadequate for being an intern. If you did a good job, they will notice and even help you get an internship in an area you really want to be. There is not much to eat around the area so it is nice they have their own cafeteria with pretty good food.

Cons

Big company so ideas move slowly.

9. "Great opportunity for those willing to put forth the effort."

I have been working at St. Jude Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong product pipeline for many years to come. A company that is invested in the future and has highly driven people at the top.

Cons

Middle management can have difficulties in communicating and dealing with the field employees based on restrictions put upon them by HR and upper management.

10. "Excellent management led to a culture where every employee was empowered to make their job better and more efficient."

Former Employee - Engineer in Sylmar, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Sylmar, CA

I worked at St. Jude Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every employee was empowered to learn lean and mistake proofing tools and to apply those tools to improving their day to day work. Feedback was regular so that you always felt like you had some idea of how well you were doing. Even though different groups advocated for different positions there was a feeling of mutual respect and of camaraderie between groups. The lay-offs didn't seem random.

Cons

Some of the groups are now in the process of being continually down sized, which has resulted in fewer opportunities in those areas.

11. "Good step in my career"

Pros

Everyone is really helpful and I feel like I'm actually helping people.

Cons

Deadlines, but most of the time it's not too bad.