St. Jude Medical Employee Reviews about "st jude medical"

Updated Sep 11, 2017

Found 24 of over 810 reviews

3.7
St. Jude Medical Chairman and CEO Miles D. White (no image)
Miles D. White

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good benefits and health insurance.(in 72 reviews)
  • "I work with some really great people and we have some social events after work.(in 67 reviews)
  • "Good pay and its in the Irvine hub so there is a lot of companies around you to compare yourself to.(in 28 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance but now it is Abbott(in 22 reviews)
  • "Good work environment and conditions(in 14 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of St. Jude Medical and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "st jude medical"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Systems Analyst Intern

Jan 4, 2017 - Systems Analyst Intern in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Knowing that you're working for a company that produces advanced medical device technology that saves and prolongs life. St. Jude Medical has some of the nicest people I've ever met. On my first day, I was looking for a can-opener in the kitchen. Without me asking, a guy passing by introduced himself and asked around to see if anyone had one that I could borrow. I myself never did, but a lot of full-time employees often worked from home. Good balance of professional and casual company culture (business professional dress M-TH and casual dress on Fridays) Treat employees with respect and offer great benefits

Cons

They have just been acquired by Abbott Labs so there will be some changes and growing pains. But ultimately, it's going to yield a lot of opportunities.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

A truly great place to work

Sep 26, 2012 - Internal Communications Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude Medical is a place where you'll often hear, "Let's get 'er done." People pull together to do the right thing on a constant basis. There is an underlying sense of fierce employee pride. They know their work helps people live better lives. I would often hear people describe SJM as the "smallest large company in the world," when they described how the company thought and operated. It had kept the small company mentality intact, even as it expanded globally.

Cons

Like many companies, SJM is facing significant marketplace contraction. The former hub and spoke organizational structure that placed tremendous emphasis on the divisions, with little to no visible leadership from Corporate, is breaking down. Painfully. While this is a step in the right direction, it will take several years for the company to reshape its identity as a cohesive entity.

3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good launching pad to other companies.

Jul 6, 2014 - Software Engineer II in Sylmar, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun people to work with in the software department at Sylmar, lots of people try to organize groups to go hiking and such. Lots of time to work on a pet project to improve your skill sets. You'll get introduced to heavy processes that will give you insight on why they are there, and insight on why they should be dropped. While working at St Jude Medical I received lots of interviews from tech companies (Apple, Google, Linkedin, Twitter). Ended up joining one of them. Few of my coworkers did too.

Cons

Sometimes you get so bored doing nothing. I ended up working 4-6 hours (w/2 hour lunches) with coworkers. Cardiac rhythm management division (or IESD - whatever they call it now) has been halting on projects thus lack of career growth and increased layoffs. I hear the severance package is very accomodating. Everything software related in that department is solely in maintenance mode. Most of the money is now going towards nuero modulation in plano, texas. From my initial impression the engineers there are highly questionable in talent, and I would not trust them to develop solid software. You know something is amiss when they overdesign and use jargon to impress people.

4 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee

I love my job.

Mar 24, 2009 - Principal Software Engineer in Townshipin Cities, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

My highest motivation is job satisfaction. St. Jude Medical has a dedicated, highly educated, and highly productive staff. The company has a variety of highly successful products. The company has a culture that encourages helpfulness among employees.

Cons

St. Jude Medical doesn't have some of the on-site amenities that larger companies have, like a cash machine, or a barber, or shoe shine, or massages. There are no employee clubs. The company does not own a golf course or resort. At my last job I had all these, as well as underground parking and a large window office. However, even though I have none of those amenities, I enjoy my job at St. Jude Medical much more than I did at the large company.

5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

St. Jude is a medical device company and they are propfit not people driven

Jan 28, 2015 - Senior Project Planner in Sylmar, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

St. Jude medical can be a plesent place to work, they have a employment apreachance week where the put up a big top ten in the parking lot, and have verious active throught the week, they give nice chrismas gives to all salary emplyees, and propet sharing in from of rasies each year.

Cons

St. Jude is fast pace company, and a demanding company, management doesn’t always listen to their employee. They also have a tendency to move management around in and out of the company. They also have a habit of every few years of laying off employee with higher salary, so its nice that they give raises, but then lay you off when you start making to much. St. Jude has open three oversea office and has start move woke off shore.

6. 2.0
    Former Employee

Mixed results for St. Jude Medical

Dec 17, 2009 -  in Little Canada, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Organizationally and across most divisions, they are growing; they design, develop, and sell a product that saves lives. They are probably better positioned in terms of being more nimble and strategic than Medtronic or Boston Scientific. The employees are hard working and well intentioned

Cons

Most of the organization was formed through acquisition; as a result silos exist both within divisions and across the organization as a whole. St. Jude Medical is essentially a holding company for about four different product lines (otherwise know as divisions). There is not a clear espirt de corps or unifying vision/mission for the entire organization. Leaders are typically subject matter experts with a leadership title; the leaders really don't lead they manage. As a field, medical device could be severely affected if there is a government tax issued on medical device products.

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Poor culture = dissatisfying work environment

Sep 22, 2013 - Marketing Manager in Little Canada, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ultra lean teams mean that there can be a lot of opportunity to take on significant responsibilities/projects to make an impact. Generally, I didn't see a lot of micromanaging and there aren't a lot of layers to work through. Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

The culture is one of the most bizarre I've encountered and at times it is very unprofessional. Depends on where you are but avoid the Austin office and positions where you will need to work closely with individuals there ... a lot of aggressive and downright odd personalities that make work life unpleasant. At this writing, avoid marketing and academic affairs at all costs. It's a very negative environment with non-supportive, non-engaged and sometimes bizarre leaders. If you enjoy working in a collaborative environment with others who are professional, strategic and engage in critical thinking, you'd be wise to look elsewhere. I think you'll be unhappy at St. Jude Medical.

6 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0

You are never safe.

Sep 17, 2013 - Senior Marketing Manager in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoyed working at St. Jude Medical (U.S. Sales Division). I was promoted twice in five years. I was given autonomy. I had good working relationships with customers and peers.

Cons

I did not learn much at St. Jude Medical. I felt as though I just applied what I had learned at my former company (Guidant). The most significant downside to working for St. Jude -- at least the Sales Division -- is that you can be laid-off at any moment, independent of the quality of your work. Mike Rousseau makes sweeping decisions that negatively impact peoples' lives with little thought or reason (he's a Decider who decides "with his gut".

7 people found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Current Employee

At one time, there was lots of opportunity for career growth and development, but that changed in recent years.

Dec 24, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in Sylmar, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The products made by St. Jude Medical help people have better quality of life. From the heart valves to the ICDs to the pain management devices, there is a great portfolio of products. Some recent acquisitions, efforts to clear FDA challenges and the re-focusing of projects in the product divisions will help SJM continue to grow.

Cons

The constant restructuring makes SJM a hard place to work for employees. Little concern for talent below the executive level. Compensation and benefits are benchmarked to average and nothing to brand themselves as better than average to attract new talent or help make it a better place to work (not grow your career), just work.

7 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

I had a great time working at St. Jude Medical.

Sep 11, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

At St. Jude Medical under our manager in the supply chain department, we were trusted to do our job and carry out our daily tasks and responsibilities. There was kniw micro-management in our departnent.

Cons

Upper managenent which was in an entirely different location did not always give us the full support we needed when making major changes in policies.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 24 Reviews