St. Louis Crisis Nursery Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
DiAnne Mueller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A great place for practicum students to learn and have hands on experience working with children and families."

I have been working at St. Louis Crisis Nursery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Offers a diverse learning environment.

Cons

There are many opportunities for social work, counseling and human services fields.

Advice to Management

Continue providing opportunities for students to increase their education and skills.

2. "Great kids but supervisors drive away the good employees"

Former Employee - Intake Counselor II in Wentzville, MO
    Former Employee - Intake Counselor II in Wentzville, MO

I worked at St. Louis Crisis Nursery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the kids are loving and you build relationships with them because you see them multiple times. You get to make a difference in the lives of needy families.

Cons

A few employees are allowed to do as they please and are favored. CEO is greatly out of touch with what happens on a day to day basis. Safety of kids and staff is regularly put at risk. Too many duties for 2 staff to complete in a shift and constant threats of write ups don't provide any motivation to work harder! Forget eating or using the bathroom during your shift!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the management who play favorites and demand all employees do equal work. The CEO needs to get out of her office and into the nurseries regularly.

3. "Important Mission"

I have been working at St. Louis Crisis Nursery full-time

Pros

They do important work for the community.

Cons

Lots of people don't seem to stay more than a year.

Advice to Management

Support the staff working on the front lines.

4. "Team Environment"

Former Employee - Intake Counselor
    Former Employee - Intake Counselor

I worked at St. Louis Crisis Nursery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Crisis Nursery is an excellent place to grow your career. As an Intake Counselor, I had the opportunity to learn therapeutic skills while working with kids and also crisis intervention skills while working with parents on the phone and during intakes and discharges. I appreciated my co-workers' willingness to help me learn and grow and the administrative staff seemed to genuinely care about me and were supportive during challenging situations.

Cons

Working with families in crisis can be difficult at times due to the challenges of finding available resources to support them after they leave the care of the Nursery.

Advice to Management

Continue to support staff and help them find ways to grow their careers!

Jun 19, 2017 – Communication Director

Thank you so much for this valuable input! It is greatly appreciated!

"The Administration Doesn't Care About Any Workers"

Former Employee - FEP/IC
    Former Employee - FEP/IC

I worked at St. Louis Crisis Nursery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Working with kids and families in need is intrinsically rewarding.
    2. The team of direct care workers at Centene Center (which is the largest location) is awesome.

Cons

Where to begin...?
    1. The administration is not helpful, and sadly, they only operate the agency's mission with dollar signs in mind. They are not supportive of the direct care workers at any of the locations. I know this because I worked at all of them.
    2. The administration does not care about the employees, families, kids, or the mission of the agency (see #1 as to why). Further, they do not care to hear about how to make things better.
    3. You are expected to do several jobs rolled into one and do all of this without fair compensation for such.
    4. Those who run the agency do not have leadership capabilities, and therefore, the agency is ran with emotions rather than logic or rationale.
    5. Due to #4, those that are promoted (especially with the FEP) do not have appropriate leadership skills, but rather, promotions are based on brown-nosing abilities and favoritism. Isn't that nice? FEP needs an overhaul of leaders!
    6. This agency is lucky I gave them ONE star.

Advice to Management

Something to consider: why is it that the administrator responding to reviews on Glassdoor is NOT acknowledging or responding to the negative reviews on here? Do the negative reviews not matter? If someone from the agency’s administration has seen multiple negative reviews on here, why only respond to the five- star “reviews?”(It’s debatable whether the few positive “reviews” on here are actual reviews from employees/direct care workers). Aside from that questionable action, the fact that the administrator skipped over the “Advice to Management” that reflected the agency in a negative light, proves the VERY point that all of the Glassdoor reviewers are trying to make. Thank you, St. Louis Crisis Nursery administrator who has skipped over the numerous negative comments here on Glassdoor, for proving the very point that the majority of these reviews have been making. That is, The St. Louis Crisis Nursery’s administration will only take into account and LISTEN to viewpoints that reflect positively on the agency; otherwise, there is no response or action on direct care workers’ opinions or suggestions. This is reflected in one of my Cons above. Point proven. What a shame.

6. "Great place to help kids!"

I worked at St. Louis Crisis Nursery part-time

Pros

Love the mission and all the people that work and volunteer there!

Cons

I don't think there is any downside to saving lives-

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Jun 5, 2017 – Communication Director

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide very important feedback as we strive to serve our community as well as our staff! We appreciate your support for our mission of child abuse prevention!

7. "Admin Staff"

I have been working at St. Louis Crisis Nursery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work with some of the most amazing people. From program staff to the administration office, you learn from the best people in their fields. Everyone's so helpful.

Cons

The mission of the Nursery is child abuse prevention, so the cases and the work can sometimes be overwhelming. But supervisors and management encourage you to take a break and practice self-care.

Advice to Management

Encourage more self-care to staff.

May 31, 2017 – Communication Director

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide very important feedback as we strive to serve our community as well as our staff.

"Unrealistic Expectations"

I worked at St. Louis Crisis Nursery part-time

Pros

Working with the kids
    Helping others

Cons

Expect to be left alone with 5 kids, some with severe behavioral issues, ages anywhere 0-12 and be expected to care for them, manage their behaviors so they don't hurt each other or themselves, Cook, clean, do laundry, give baths, answer suicide calls, answer inquiry calls, handle people asking for free items from the front door, and complete intakes all while the supervisor is usually sitting upstairs in the office, offering zero help. When someone calls asking for help, you call the supervisor and although many times you have to turn them down for not qualifying or not having enough space, you have to give the bad news every time. People get angry with you for not having a spot. At the end of your shift you are supposed to have all of this paperwork and computer entry work done which is nearly impossible unless you are only caring for one kid that day. The supervisor can hear kids screaming and chaos from upstairs but chooses to ignore it to continue to sit down on the computer. The attitude from many of the intake counselors who have been there a while is not good. I got chastised there for handing out too many wipes to a mother at the door (tried to hand them one pack- a longtime intake counselor says "what are you doing? Give them just a few wipes in a ziplock!" It's a daycare job with about 100 other responsibilities rolled into one. Not worth the stress for the low pay. Oh, I forgot to mention, expect to constantly be guilted/bullied into working double shifts and working all of.your days off. You also will work without any lunch break at all.

Advice to Management

Pay your hourly workers a fair wage for what they do (which is running the operation)
    Be realistic about expectations
    Treat your employees better
    Have the managers come out of offices and get hands-on

"Great Learning experience"

Former Employee - Intake Counselor in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intake Counselor in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at St. Louis Crisis Nursery (Less than a year)

Pros

You can make a difference in a child's life.

Cons

This place is a nightmare! Run if you have the opportunity.
    -Working with an all female team is terrible. So much attitude being given.
    -The program coordinator has favorites (clearly visible).
    -Don't expect to move up in the company either.
    -Help is foreign to this company. Utterly ridiculous to have only 2 people on the floor doing intakes, taking care of infants, and trying to cook and do laundry.
    -No support at all. Upper management will send emails all day long.
    -No consistency is scheduling.
    -Your replacement at the end of your shift is likely to be late. If you get off at 11 expect to really get off at 1 w/o extra pay.
    -It is more like a daycare than an actual therapeutic environment.

Advice to Management

Do better. Management needs to be cleaned from the inside out.

"A hot mess"

Former Employee - Crisis Care Staff
    Former Employee - Crisis Care Staff

I worked at St. Louis Crisis Nursery full-time

Pros

Well-intentioned. Some-to-decent opportunity for promotion and varied experience. Effort is made to improve morale via "shoutouts" and other recognition- which is appreciated but needs to be supplemented through meaningful policy change and raises. Many great women with good intentions at all levels of the organization.

Cons

Crisis Care program serves as a 'bandaid' for families who generally continue to make same life choices that put their children in the same crisis perpetually. Clients assume and demand services- about 75% ungrateful and 25% grateful. Often it seems the Nursery prolongs the onset of what is an inevitable state intervention, keeping children of incapable parents in the hands of those parents longer, in effect relegating them to more emotional trauma. Repeat families - with records of lying about their situations to gain admission and of threatening staff with bodily harm- use services for partying and daycare services, clogging availability of slots for those who would actually need the organization in an emergency. The PR picture put out to the public is not at all representative of actual operations. Staff who try to complete all expected duties are worn extremely thin and written up for unsubstantial reasons, while others literally sleep through their shift and retain their job. Religious focus on having a "strengths-based" approach renders many conversations about clients so politically correct that they become void of substance and any rational action plan. You'll handle kids with behavior issues while answering suicide calls, completing inordinate paperwork and having clients bombard the front door for free items they received duplicates of last week. You'll make more waitressing. No men at all in the organization. No lunch break.

Advice to Management

Get analytical about whether the crisis care program is actually serving intended function. If you want to keep the"Strength based" approach utilize it alongside with common sense. Immediately discontinue clients who threaten staff. Have clear cut policies with clients and with staff that are equally applied to all.