St. Louis Post Dispatch Reviews in Saint Louis, MO | Glassdoor

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at St. Louis Post Dispatch full-time

Pros

PD often promotes from within

Cons

High expectations hard to sometimes balance with family

2. "Advertising"

Current Employee - Advertising Account Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Advertising Account Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at St. Louis Post Dispatch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perks. Flexible hours. Free St. Louis Post-Dispatch paper. Feast Magazine.Ladue News. Opportunity to control income although management dose a horrible job of letting you keep accounts.

Cons

High employee turnover. This place is on its way don't the drain. The quality we are bringing in is not with it. We have high expectations very low strategy and execution. Not sure if middle management is needed. If you work here start looking for a new place of employment

3. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at St. Louis Post Dispatch full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Make the best with what you have in terms of products, knowledge and time and you can be successful.

Cons

Goal setting is inconsistent and goals are typically handed out after the month has already started.

Advice to Management

Be consistent with goals so sales reps can make better decisions about their business.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at St. Louis Post Dispatch (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, great people. Management values you for your ideas.

Cons

None, the industry is changing and some people have a hard time dealing with that,
    but if you are up to the challenge it is a great place.

6. "advertising"

Former Employee - Photographer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Photographer in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

people are great, it was like a family oriented place to work, there was lots of laughter and team work atmosphere, since the downsizing it is more like a sweat shop.

Cons

lay offs are not great

7. "Its difficult to work in a "sinking ship" atmosphere, especially with managers who are completely self-absorbed."

Former Employee - Marketing Department Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing Department Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at St. Louis Post Dispatch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The medical and dental benefits were (surprisingly) pretty good. There were a few good people there who I enjoyed working with. Freedom to try new ideas, but lots of red tape everywhere as usual within a larger corporation.

Cons

I've never worked with such a group of self-important, power-hungry people than in the Marketing Department at the P-D. If you don't suck up, and have the nerve to speak up when you believe something is wrong, you will not go very far. The people who hold management positions are those who suck up to the VP (but are happy to talk very badly about her behind closed doors.) A very unhealthy work environment. I do not miss working there at all. Its a shame, as the paper enjoys a long legacy and is the last daily paper in St. Louis. Lee Enterprises isn't a good parent company, and many old-timers longingly talk of the Pulitzer days. Add to all of this the fact that the newspaper industry is fading fast, and as a result, there are continuous layoffs. And constant furloughs and freezes on raises, promised benefits and bonuses that were never delivered despite meeting the criteria agreed on for them... hard to keep your morale up.

Advice to Management

The CEO continuously gets large bonuses and stock options while lower level employees are fortunate to be able to pay their bills. Its amazing the paper still has a number of long-term, faithful employees... only because there's no other newspaper in town to work for!

8. "Was a good, well paying union job that many good people and their families counted on."

Former Employee - Union Pressman in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Union Pressman in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at St. Louis Post Dispatch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Union pressman wage was about 29.00hr. Had to work nights and weekends because of seniority but was easy labor.

Cons

Was given a full time opportunity for a union skilled trade position. Was great pay and benefits until Mary junck the old CEO laid off a lot of good, hard working people. Ruining peoples lives but still getting her huge bonuses that was reportedly close to 1 million dollars. Almost everyone we worked with in the union trades were good, nice people. Would not recommend anyone with a family to work there because you never know if your going to be out the door if your not on a union protected contract. If your a part time mailer you'll never make more than 12.00 with no advancement.

Advice to Management

Good luck with your 2.00 a share stock that at one time was close to 40.00 with Pulitzer.

9. "Loved this place!"

Current Employee - Classified Advisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Classified Advisor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at St. Louis Post Dispatch part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very family oriented, Great people to work with/for.

Cons

Seemed hard to advance to better positions within the company

Advice to Management

I thought Management was great!

10. "Lot of hard work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at St. Louis Post Dispatch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small, close knit department
    Open door policies with all managers
    Family oriented work environment
    Ability to make your position your own (within reason, of course)

Cons

No sense of complete job security (but who does get that anymore these days)
    Small, close knit department - that's a double edged sword sometimes
    Work of 2-3 people and not compensated for that
    Lack of communication from upper, upper management on the state of the company

Advice to Management

We are often too wishy-washy on who we're trying to reach with our internal campaigns. Sometimes I feel like we're trying to convince ourselves of why we want consumer to pick up/subscribe to the paper and not necessarily the customer. It can be frustrating and terrifying to constantly worry about the security of our jobs, sometimes a bit more communication about the state of the company can be helpful and calming.

11. "No longer a nice place to work"

Former Employee - Journalist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Journalist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at St. Louis Post Dispatch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many of the people there are wonderful

Cons

Lee Enterprises is one of the worst companies in the United States

Advice to Management

Stop giving yourselves huge bonuses while laying off a huge chunk of your workforce and reducing salaries for the rank and file.