St. Luke’s University Health Network Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
St. Luke’s University Health Network President and CEO Richard A. Anderson
Richard A. Anderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "It is a different culture and takes getting used to but a strong sense of family" (in 2 reviews)

• "Working in the emergency department can be highly stressful, however I work with the best team ever" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "Was shocked to find out how this non profit operated and what they allowed their employees to put on company credit cards, most time with no receipts" (in 3 reviews)

• "Occasionally short staffed and not all coworkers are always pleasant but this is with any job" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Director of Heart Failure"

Current Employee - Cardiologist in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Cardiologist in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at St. Luke’s University Health Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the colleagues I work with and communicate with daily. There are challenging cases. There is room to advance in your career and get involved in many committees

Cons

Getting a little corporate feeling as it is growing so much

2. "RN"

I have been working at St. Luke’s University Health Network full-time

Pros

Good health benefits and 403b

Cons

There is only 1 PTO bank for holidays/vacation/sick time

"Nurse Aide - St. Luke's Warren"

Former Employee - Nurse Aide in Phillipsburg, NJ
    Former Employee - Nurse Aide in Phillipsburg, NJ

I worked at St. Luke’s University Health Network part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good coworkers and managers

Cons

Significant management issues (turnover) and honestly some really awful nurses - I constantly tell people to avoid this hospital like the plague if they value their loved ones

Advice to Management

I'm writing this specifically to encourage aides and nurses who *do* care about their patients to just move along and not accept a job here out of desperation. I tried escaping to other St. Luke's campuses once I was employed here for a while and found that it's almost impossible to do so. They rarely allow transfers even within units - it's discouraged heavily even though you had better count on being floated fairly frequently because people leave/call out all the time. If you have a good nurse manager count yourself lucky but they're having so much turnover management wise that you'll likely only have that good manager for a couple months. Some of the managers have little actual nursing experience and it SHOWS. Working as a nurse aide at Warren was by far the worst work experience I have ever had and I've worked quite a few other jobs. I hung on for far too long hoping it was just a fluke and that things would eventually get better but I'm hoping to save others the misery - it is NOT worth it. When I started working on one unit it took at least 4-5 months for nurses to *maybe* know my name. We all wear name tags and I always had my name up on the patient boards! It's stupid things like expecting to come to work and at least get treated like a human being that won't happen if you work here in certain areas. I don't want to tell incriminating stories or anything which would probably more effectively convey how absolutely awful this place is to work but please trust me and move along. For his bit the president of the hospital is a very nice man - there are also some great nurses and nurse managers here as well. In my experience, those few people were not even close to enough to balance out all the other nonsense.

4. "great people"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA

I have been working at St. Luke’s University Health Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people. people who work there stay forever. great benefits. not snobby

Cons

growing pains. high ratios, management strapped on resources as they hire more and more docs for new campuses. not much room for advancement

5. "Patient Care Assistant"

I worked at St. Luke’s University Health Network full-time

Pros

It is generally good learning environment.

Cons

It is stressful, high-intensity work

6. "Tech."

Current Employee - Pct in Stroudsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Pct in Stroudsburg, PA

Pros

Great hospital at Monroe,flexible schedule, director is the best!!! Great co workers. Beautiful hospital.

Cons

Worst Human Resources department EVER!!! Directors have less to do with who is on their unit HR has too much power! Other than HR needing to be completely restaffed with people who actually care about their employees, there are no other complaints!! Would be the perfect place if it weren’t for the HR office on a power trip!

Advice to Management

Realign your priorities and those who have say in patient care. HR should not be as involved in all aspects of what clinical staff does!!! They even choose who to hire as a tech or nurse instead of the actual unit director!!!

7. "Patient Care Assistant"

Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at St. Luke’s University Health Network part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Works around my school schedule and allows me to pick up extra shifts during the summer and winter months

Cons

Needs more staff members for the growing hospitals

8. "Certified medical assistant"

Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant
    Current Employee - Certified Medical Assistant

Pros

We are treated like family

Cons

Need to give raises In pay

9. "Pharmacist"

Current Employee - Pharmacist
    Current Employee - Pharmacist

Pros

Professional Environment, supportive staff, good hours, no holidays

Cons

Computers and software are not user friendly

10. "Medical Assistant"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at St. Luke’s University Health Network full-time

Pros

Hours were appropriate, never worked weekends because it was a PCP office, able to get off for personal matters/vacations with ease.
    I found that communicating with anyone in the network (which occurred multiple times a day) to be a pleasant and respectful interaction.
    If there was an issue/concern in the office and you brought it up to your supervisor, it would absolutely be taken care of in a timely manner. My immediate supervisor, the doctors, and all my coworkers were helpful, respectful, and genuinely good people who I wish I could have worked with longer.

Cons

Pay wasn't the best for the amount of work we were responsible for on a daily basis. Understaffed and needed more employees to separate duties appropriately.