St. Mary's College of California "bay area" Reviews | Glassdoor

St. Mary's College of California Employee Reviews about "bay area"

Updated Dec 18, 2019

3.8
St. Mary's College of California President & CEO Ronald Gallagher
Ronald Gallagher
Pros
Cons
  • "Low salary for the Bay Area and compared to other offices on campus(in 8 reviews)

• "Old fashioned systems, low pay for bay area, management not assertive(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "bay area"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great team, good benefits, low wages"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Moraga, CA

I have been working at St. Mary's College of California full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful place to work. Mission driven work. Great collaborative team. Management does not micromanage your work. Amazing PTO (paid holidays, sick, and vacation time from day 1). Employer retirement contribution - about 7% (but starts at year 1).

Cons

Low salary for the Bay Area and compared to other offices on campus. Colleagues have left admissions to work elsewhere on campus; reported they were making more money and doing less work. You will be expected to work nights and weekends for events. Although we have vacation time, we can’t use it during “black out” times from September to May — which is a long stretch of time. Not many professional development opportunities. Tuition benefit (only 1 free class per term).

St. Mary's College of California2019-07-16
  2. "Awful"

I worked at St. Mary's College of California full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

commute in the morning is not bad if you are driving away from the city.

Cons

below average salary for the bay area, little benefits, ever increasing job responsibilities with no increased pay, hire incompetent people, high turn over

St. Mary's College of California2019-12-18
  3. "Student Worker"

Former Employee - Student Worker

I worked at St. Mary's College of California part-time for more than a year

Pros

Devoted to college mission Retroactively lives out core principles Career office is a great network

Cons

Isolated from the rest of Bay Area Disconnected from other universities Human Resources department has been difficult to get in touch with

St. Mary's College of California2019-03-27

"Good atmosphere But behind the time"

I worked at St. Mary's College of California full-time

Pros

Nice people, low stress, gorgeous location.

Cons

Old fashioned systems, low pay for bay area, management not assertive.

St. Mary's College of California2017-08-19

"Great people, location and purpose."

Program Assistant in Moraga, CA

I have been working at St. Mary's College of California

Pros

Benefits including personal development. Educational benefits. The ability to give to the community both internal and external. A commitment to social justice. The environment is ideal.

Cons

Pay and parking. Not enough compensation to survive in the Bay Area. Impossible to live locally as the cost of living is too high. Traffic makes living in an affordable area far too time consuming. Limited upward mobility in a school this size.

St. Mary's College of California2016-10-21
  6. "IT Services: Safe environment, but students are expendable..."

Current Employee - Senior Technology Consultant in Moraga, CA

I have been working at St. Mary's College of California part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Saint Mary's College of California IT Services has made a lot of improvements in my three years here, but overall, the improvement has been minimal. Just the other month, sick leave hours were added as the first and only benefit student workers receive. Many of the managers are nice people, overall, who are passionate about their work.

Cons

Being a student worker at Saint Mary's College can be very stressful, financially. Many of my coworkers, including myself, depend on the money we earn through ITS to pay for our rent, books, food, ect. One would think that a prestigious liberal arts college would have the outlook to give struggling students a living wage, but this is entirely false. When the statewide minimum wage went up the summer of 2014, Saint Mary's increased their pay scale to agree with the new legal system. However, any student workers that had been on minimum wage before ($8) and had either earned a raise or who had nearly worked enough hours for a raise, lost all progress. Students that had been making $8.50 were now making $9, but so were those who were only making $8. I was now training workers, who would go on to train another generation of workers, with all of us making $9 an hour. For a two years I petitioned for a raise, and continued making minimum wage until I put in my two-weeks notice. I finally received a raise to $10.50 after working nearly three full years for Saint Mary's. One can only imagine the stress this put on me, trying to afford Bay Area housing costs and having to put my only job on the line to get a raise. In summary: Saint Mary's College, especially IT Services, cares very little about you as a person if you are a student worker. I highly recommend finding a job nearby off campus instead, if you can afford to commute.

St. Mary's College of California2015-11-30

"Mission driven job"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Moraga, CA

I worked at St. Mary's College of California full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits. A sense of mission, a collegial environment, and academic freedom. This is a place to gain experience and move on from. You can do a lot with a little here that will catapult you forward in your career.

Cons

Saint Mary's is much better for faculty than staff. Staff at the college are a more diverse body than faculty and the socio-econimic divide between the two groups is palpable. Faculty tend to be administratively in charge of staff, yet are out of touch with administrative realities. There isn't a lot of mentorship or upward mobility for staff, especially female staff. They hire a lot of alumni, which doesn't promote diversity of perspectives. Compensation is not competitive compared to other sf bay area colleges.

St. Mary's College of California2015-10-25

"There's a shared commitment to the mission of the organization among personnel and opportunities to collaborate."

Current Employee - Coordinator in Moraga, CA

I have been working at St. Mary's College of California full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is a genuine sense of community, a commitment to mission, a strong emphasis on work-life balance, and opportunities for professional development. The administration rewards creativity, innovation and leadership.

Cons

Salaries across the board are about 5% below average for the Bay Area, there can be an 'us vs. them' mentality among some departments. The organization has bounced back after the recession and has a good outlook for the years ahead.

St. Mary's College of California2014-05-20

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 8 reviews