Stage Stores Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 49 reviews

3.2
Stage Stores CEO Michael Glazer
Michael Glazer

"Retail is what I love to do and strive for"

Current Employee - Assistant Retail Store Manager in Missouri City, TX

I have been working at Stage Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

Chances for potential and advancement(s), The corporate office is in Houston, TX., Stage stores is well-known all over the U.S.A., Great management and associates to work for, and Stage offers a good vision and mission statement.

Cons

Have to work on Black Friday(s) and other holidays, small staff at my store location, and a lot of customer complaints over coupons.

Advice to Management

Stage needs to hire more managers who are determined and have some management experience.

Stage Stores2017-11-09
  2. "Great job to start with in retail"

I worked at Stage Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hours aren't bad District managers are involved Stores help each other out

Cons

Low pay High employee turnover due to the low pay

Advice to Management

Incentivize your management team to stay with higher pay. I would still be there today if it weren't for the low pay and staff shortage.

Stage Stores2019-06-14
  3. "Great company for those with strong work ethics"

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Marcos, TX

I have been working at Stage Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedules that allow for home work balance

Cons

Very low on staffing and payroll requiring management to take the role of an associate

Stage Stores2019-03-14
  4. "Frustrating"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Stage Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Can be a fun place to work at times

Cons

The cutbacks on payroll will make you feel like you live there. The new programs they roll out are terrible and it takes forever to work out the bugs. And equipment is old and outdated.

Stage Stores2019-01-29

"Store manager. Good place to work but low pay"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Lebanon, IN

I have been working at Stage Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great PTO structure, usually a good work/ life balance, company is responsive to employees needs, as a store manager you have a certain amount of autonomy in decision making.

Cons

The pay is the lowest in the industry. It makes it difficult to retain employees. They offer insurance but I can't afford it. I can't make ends meet as a store manager. Older stores need remodeling because things are always falling apart. Small stores get left behind when money is allocated for remodeling. Magazine sales need to not be penalized for not making goal. Customers feel like it's a scam.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. The company is nothing without us and we deserve to be paid a competitive wage. I love working at Stage but I'm looking for a different job because I can't afford to work here. Keep up the voices surveys and listening to employees. Also... payroll needs to be more January through September so that our keyholders don't quit over low hours.

Stage Stores2018-12-13
  6. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Stage Stores full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, great coworkers

Cons

Explaining to customers that their coupon will not work, corporate depts aren’t always on the same page as on another.

Advice to Management

Please stop sending coupons that are valid for an entire month when the entire month is essentially blacked out from coupon usage due to the sale that is set. Buyer allocation is lacking. Stores not meeting their sales goal could very well be due to not having enough of particular items when some store have way more than what they will sell.

Stage Stores2018-11-25
  7. "Insurance is expensive and they don’t give you the payroll hours you need."

Store Manager in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Stage Stores for less than a year

Pros

There is always room to move up to a bigger store because there is always openings for store manager positions in this company.

Cons

Insurance is too expensive. Payroll budget is tight. Paid time off lacks compared to similar companies. Overall the benefits just aren’t all that great.

Advice to Management

Benefits needs improvement.

Stage Stores2018-01-13
  8. "Store manager"

I worked at Stage Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great discount, good variety of products to buy, friendly employees to work with

Cons

Heavy work load, unfair schedule for managers, unfair pay , and unprofessional higher managements

Advice to Management

They need to be more professional and fair

Stage Stores2017-06-07

"Very bad SM work/life balance"

I worked at Stage Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee discount and benefits, great opportunities for advancement, smallish company so you feel like "part of the big picture," nice co-workers.

Cons

As a Store Manager, LONG work hours because not enough payroll is allocated per store, bad work/life balance, extremely controlling upper management, upper management uses scare tactics to make you work even harder.

Advice to Management

Give more payroll hours and give your managers a break!

Stage Stores2017-05-09
  10. "Sinking Ship!"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Stage Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great merchandise selection and discounts are good when you're allowed to stack coupons. There are no other pros in my opinion!

Cons

I was hired to come in and restructure a store that had been without leadership for a while. Took the position with a promise of training and support from upper management. I received neither after several months requesting help and only given useless information from a senior employee inside the store. I was told I was to work a minimum of 42 hours with a cap of 45......ha I pushed a minimum of 55-65 hours a... week to try and stay ahead of the company demands. There are no hours available for adequate staffing to handle the workload expected and stay on top of customer service. One was always suffering, the mindset of this company is pathetic and not like any other major retail chain I have successfully worked for in the past. Make sure if you do decide to take a position with this company to get EVERYTHING in writing.

Advice to Management

Training needs to start at the corporate level and work it's way down. Orientation needs to be a must for all employees in order to have consistency of policy and procedure throughout. There is absolutely no way to be successful in the chaotic expectations placed in the daily duties of store operations. It's a sad environment that is created and no one is set up for success!

Stage Stores2017-05-17