Stage Stores "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Stage Stores Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Oct 8, 2019

2.9
Stage Stores CEO Michael Glazer
Michael Glazer
Pros
Cons
  • "Push for accounts and magazines (weekly/monthly goals)(in 45 reviews)

• "Upper management does not listen to the needs of employees(in 26 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"It Is What It Is"

Current Employee - ECommerce Copywriter in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stage Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The 9/80 schedule and the 20% employee discount

Cons

Management is awful on this particular team/department. Ideas aren't encouraged to be expressed, and if we do try to express them, we're talked down to or dismissed. You also don't feel like you're part of the overall company and company goals. Upper management doesn't quite know what we do and question us if they feel like the work isn't quite as "productive" rather than seeing what's happening and why it's... happening. There's no room for promotions on this team -- at all.

Advice to Management

Take the time to consider your team's situation, if you feel like productivity isn't as high as it could/should be. Allow your teams to express their ideas freely and to feel like they're part of the team/company. Don't reprimand them, look down on them, dismiss them if they have something to say. It could be valuable.

Stage Stores2019-06-24
  2. "Not the best"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Slidell, LA

I have been working at Stage Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid back environment Allows you to eat and drink food

Cons

Little pay Mean older customers Lazy upper management

Advice to Management

Be proactive

Stage Stores2019-03-13

"Work somewhere else"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Stage Stores full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

was great until new CIO was hired Enjoyed coworkers

Cons

Bad benefits Awful HR Dept - back stabber Upper management does not listen to the needs of employees. No upward movement opportunities unless you are a complete “yes” man. Way too much gossip. No loyalty.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect. Stop concentrating so much on the business platforms and learn how to treat customers and employees.

Stage Stores2018-12-11
  4. "Top management"

I have been working at Stage Stores full-time

Pros

Good company that cares about the people.

Cons

Bonus potential is not there for upper management. Very few and low bonuses for a retail company

Advice to Management

Change bonus structure to be more achievable.

Stage Stores2017-09-09

"Very bad SM work/life balance"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Stage Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee discount and benefits, great opportunities for advancement, smallish company so you feel like "part of the big picture," nice co-workers.

Cons

As a Store Manager, LONG work hours because not enough payroll is allocated per store, bad work/life balance, extremely controlling upper management, upper management uses scare tactics to make you work even harder.

Advice to Management

Give more payroll hours and give your managers a break!

Stage Stores2017-05-09
  6. "Sinking Ship!"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Stage Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great merchandise selection and discounts are good when you're allowed to stack coupons. There are no other pros in my opinion!

Cons

I was hired to come in and restructure a store that had been without leadership for a while. Took the position with a promise of training and support from upper management. I received neither after several months requesting help and only given useless information from a senior employee inside the store. I was told I was to work a minimum of 42 hours with a cap of 45......ha I pushed a minimum of 55-65 hours a... week to try and stay ahead of the company demands. There are no hours available for adequate staffing to handle the workload expected and stay on top of customer service. One was always suffering, the mindset of this company is pathetic and not like any other major retail chain I have successfully worked for in the past. Make sure if you do decide to take a position with this company to get EVERYTHING in writing.

Advice to Management

Training needs to start at the corporate level and work it's way down. Orientation needs to be a must for all employees in order to have consistency of policy and procedure throughout. There is absolutely no way to be successful in the chaotic expectations placed in the daily duties of store operations. It's a sad environment that is created and no one is set up for success!

Stage Stores2017-05-17
  7. "Demanding"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Stage Stores full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Can be rewarding at times. Employee discount is great. Great co- workers.

Cons

Demand more than what is actually possible in a days work. They have unrealistic expectations of their staff. Stores are ran with too few employees. Never adequate coverage. Pay is not competitive. Burn out occurs quickly for all levels of employees. There is little to no desire to promote within the company due to the fact they let upper management go every few years or so.

Advice to Management

Learn how to cut money elsewhere besides from payroll. If this company does not make it, the reason will be from theft because of lack of coverage. Stop letting your District Managers go so often. Your last restructuring did the company no favors.

Stage Stores2017-04-20

"Was a great company at one time"

in Houston, TX

I worked at Stage Stores

Pros

As with most companies, there are really great people that work at Stage Stores. These people made it worth coming to the office every day. I was fortunate enough to also have a great boss and was allowed a flexible working schedule (not available in every department).

Cons

Upper management will be this company's downfall. They press every penny out of the stores, i.e., cutting hours and and allowable expenditures. Yet, management does not practice some of these expenditure savings on their own travel and expenses. I guess what's good for the goose is not good for the gander.

Advice to Management

Stop spending money on trips and sporting event tickets and pay attention to your employees. Try learning their name and treat them with a little respect.

Stage Stores2016-09-30

"District Manager"

Former Employee - District Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Stage Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great store management team. Set own schedule for store visits.

Cons

Upper management unrealistic to store level experience and workload

Advice to Management

Work life balance very difficult with the workload expectation

Stage Stores2016-09-08

"Hostile Work Environment/Workplace Violence"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atmore, AL

I worked at Stage Stores full-time

Pros

I did have awesome guidance from "a few" supervisors/coworkers

Cons

I have not been able to obtain resolution needed for being a victim of a hostile work environment and being physical assaulted by a fellow employee, Although a Workmen's Comp claim was filed at the time, no action was taken by the employer, no cameras in the area of the altercation, he said/she said statements were accepted by problem employee although there was a long history of conflict reported. I was denied... additional assistance including "counseling" which was not only recommended by the WC physician but my personal physician as well. I spoke with multiple individuals in my chain of command regarding my inability to "decompress", was told by one management individual that I would be eligible for unemployment benefits if I relinquished my position as store manager, that they would make sure that the benefits were approved at the corporate level. I requested a transfer back to the store located in my hometown (3) times and was denied. During this time frame I had (3) District Managers, (2) Regional Managers (2) AP Managers, and the HR representatives had multiple changes at the corporate level. Not sure if the applecart turnover that corporate was experiencing had any effect on the compassion required for this working environment and the atmosphere that it created for myself and others. I feel that I was mislead by the statement that corporate did not want another "Ferguson" situation erupting (black against white). Hopefully the information has been retained in my personnel file and medical records from associated facilities and will be available to the Department of Labor, Citizen's Disability, OSHA, and Social Security Administration to further assist in this resolution. I communicated tirelessly with Liberty National (WC for Stage Stores, Inc. Houston, Tx), risk management, upper management in my direct chain of command, my WC physician and my personal physician. I was finally told to stop "harassing" the claim adjuster for Liberty National.

Advice to Management

take care of your employees

Stage Stores2016-07-12