Standard Life Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Keith Skeoch

Pros
Cons
  • Very risk-averse, and sometimes slow-moving to embrace change (in 3 reviews)

• Some departments could use a major shake up starting with executive and senior management (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good Company"

Former Employee - QA Test Analyst in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - QA Test Analyst in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Standard Life (More than a year)

Pros

Good Company
    Skillful Employees
    Nice work schedule
    work with latest technology
    learn new platform

Cons

Small set of employees
    More training needed
    need new oppportunities for freshers
    E-learning platform needed
    Extensive access to study materials

"Great company positive work environment"

Former Employee - Finance Manager
    Former Employee - Finance Manager

I worked at Standard Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management are open and approachable. Good benefits including access to training and development courses. Strong sense of teamwork

Cons

Limited career progression opportunities

Advice to Management

do not alienate long serving staff by reducing accrued pension benefits.

3. "Very nice place to work"

Former Employee - Trainee Actuary
    Former Employee - Trainee Actuary

I worked at Standard Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its in the middle of the city center so you get to see the Edinburgh castle all the time and have access to the city easily.
    The people in the company are really nice and opportunities are available for improvement in your skills and knowledge

Cons

Not a lot I can think of. Except the cafeteria food is quite expensive and there tends to be company "rearranging" which sometimes end with people losing their jobs.

5. "People Power and Investing for the Future"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Standard Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who work at Standard Life make it what it is - truly great. All the way from top level right through the different departments, everyone is willing to help and share. This is extremely helpful as everyone is approachable and this makes it easier to learn and develop new skills, improve knowledge and replicate best practices.

I know Standard Life are committed to my future as I am constantly challenged and I am given all the right tools I need to be successful. I am given the opportunity to learn and develop my personal skills as well as sit exams which will help my professional development.

Cons

The only down side I can think of working at Standard Life is the negativity of my friends towards me as they are jealous I enjoy coming to work!

Advice to Management

My advice to Management would be to keep doing what you're doing, keep investing in young talent whilst looking after those who have been here since they can remember. You really have cracked the true value of the 'happy employee'.

6. "Love it!"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Standard Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not your normal "boring" FS company - way more than that!
    Employees are some of the nicest & most talented people I have worked with
    Beautiful office
    Flexible benefits

Cons

Customer focus is huge - at times there could be more focus on the employees

Advice to Management

Recognise talent more

7. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Standard Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent working environment, quality people totally committed to doing a professional job. Company recognised as leaders in UK financial services

Cons

Few opportunities for staff development, performance management via matrix structure, overly bureaucratic which can lead to disillusionment, benefits package has been eroded

8. "Analyst Investment Operation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros

The coworkers and the location were the only good things about the company

Cons

Management was very rigid, no room for growth or learning opportunities

Advice to Management

N.A Canadian division no longer exist. Was sold to Manulife

"Draconian"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Standard Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location of office. Beautuful views.

Cons

Purport to be a caring company, lots of "words" on their intranet stating this, however, this is rarely shown. Too many egos, lack of management and leadership skills. No proper direction. Creating work for the sake of it. Meetings about meetings. Poor salaries. This needs proper benchmarking.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, really listen don't just say you are. Too many "Legacy" staff, create a positive working environment. Passion is not visible.

10. "My Standard Life"

Current Employee - Trainee Actuary in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Trainee Actuary in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Standard Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best working environment I've come across: really good balance between a driven workforce and a friendly place to work.
    Plenty of career development opportunities on the graduate schemes.
    Working in a head office provides opportunities to meet people from all over the business and development a broader corporate awareness.

Cons

Sometimes there is a limited amount of work that needs to be done but this is just part of the natural flow of busy and quiet periods.

Advice to Management

I believe the career development opportunities should be made more accessible to non-graduates.
    Keep the industry leading study package for actuarial trainees!

"Avoid like the plague"

Former Employee - PA/Secretary in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - PA/Secretary in London, England (UK)

Pros

good compensation scheme and private benefits

Cons

I spent about 2 years working for a company that was acquired by Standard Life and I was then moved to work as a secretary for Standard Life where I spent about a year and a half. I was overqualified for the role, which was very basic and repetitive without making use of my skills or offering any chance for progression. I found the environment unfriendly and the people dedicated to specific ways of working. I even found that unless you used specific language people would complain and/or seemed to find it difficult to understand you as well. The secretarial practice was then formed and it was all change again. In the process of a year I changed about 5 managers. Some of them were not based in the same office as myself and the people I supported were also based in Edinburgh, whereas I was in London. It really didn't make sense. What I saw was that people were being promoted because of their allegiance to the company and its internal culture rather than because of their skills. The person that was appointed as our manager in the Secretarial Practice had been with the company for 20 years and boasted that she'd been getting outstanding performance ratings. However, she had no experience of managing people before and lacked core skills such as attention to detail and spelling that should have been a requirement for an entry-level secretarial role. In the course of 8 months 4 people out of a team of 10 resigned. The whole appraisal process relies on how liked you are rather than the quality of your work. And apart from the fact that there are very few non-Brits working there I felt that not being British put you at a disadvantage if only because you did things in a different way. A few more points to note: SL shamelessly ignored Health and Safety Law back then at least; if you raise a grievance, you are forced to leave; people disappear all the time without an explanation and there is generally a very bad atmosphere in the office. Some of these disappearance cases made the national news, so do your research before you commit to working for SL. The company thrives on mistreating its staff. There used to be an internal organisation VIVO that was meant to support people having "problems" with the company. However, VIVO are employed by SL and any advice they give you either is too late or is not the full picture, so that you can't actually defend your interests effectively. When I left they underpaid me because they had miscalculated my leave. When I asked HR why they hadn't checked how much leave I'd had before I left, a standard leavers' process at the time, they were unable to say. The IT was also quite bad while I worked there and it was frustrating dealing with it all the time. Overall, SL has been my worst employer so far and I would advise anyone to avoid working there. It is generally people who don't have other options who stay there long-term, so, by default, people with low skills, and they are being kept because of their support for the company's unprofessional practices and culture. If you are looking for a clique to join, this will be paradise for you.