Standard TV and Appliance Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Portland, OR

4.1
Bill Gander

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A family friendly business"

Former Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I worked at Standard TV and Appliance part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at standard tv for 3 years and at times had a sick child or had to leave early
    The owner management worked with me to insure that a conflict with my employment didn't exist . A great place to work with a wonderful picnic / Christmas party for employees and children . A absolutely great place to learn , work ..

Cons

Some negative employees who seem to find fault in everything . Read some of the bad reviews seems like someone had more of a personal problem with Mr Gander .
    No place to work is perfect there is always ways to improve and management is willing to listen . Try it!!!!

Advice to Management

Listen to employee concerns and advice
    Sometimes can be very helpful .

2. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

Pros

A great opportunity in employment for growth, I learned many skills which helped me develop my teambuilding and networking as an employee. Management was always willing to listen to my thoughts and opinions for processes that would bring us more business and boost morale for the team. Overall I have only good things to say about working here, I read some of the reviews and I see things that are very contrary to what I experienced as an employee, I always felt I had lots of support and an enthusiastic response from my fellow co-workers and management. Definitely a great place to work.

Cons

Occasional negativity from co-workers who did not necessarily meld well with the team mentality of working at Standard TV and appliance.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job, I felt you always supported me very well during my employment.

"God awful"

Former Employee - Multiple in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Multiple in Portland, OR

I worked at Standard TV and Appliance full-time

Pros

Great co-workers that are awesome people to work with, good discounts when still working there on my kitchen appliances.

Cons

-No benefits without losing your paycheck
    -No holiday pay
    -No raises
    -No reviews for Raises either
    -Nothing gets done in a timely fashion
    -Outdate owner with EXTREMELY outdated policies
    -Zero communication between everybody and their departments
    -Vision insurance isn't even an option
    -Managers and Supervisors get "special treatment" and do anything they see fit
    -More wasted time than productive time spent in every department

Advice to Management

HAVE BILL RETIRE
    And get rid of all your incompetent personnel

Standard TV and Appliance Response

Jun 3, 2016 – Administrative Assistant

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our employee discount benefit, but are saddened to hear that your overall experience working for our company... More

4. "Saw many promotions among office and Management staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Standard TV and Appliance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for Standard for almost 10 years (before deciding to stay home for my kids) and saw many promotions from within the company into management and higher pay-grade positions. It truly seems like they try to hire/promote from within the company and give loyal employees a chance to improve and grow. I saw this within sales management staff, the service department staff as well as with the office staff. The owner is a high-expectations personality type, but he wants his family-started business to succeed, so that is understandable. Speaking of the owner, a previous reviewer mentioned him buying a new car but I'm pretty sure the owner makes more money from multiple other investments (like most successful business people do) and not just income from Standard?

Cons

Some of the large meetings can run long. Since it is a retail sales company, holiday weekends are blackout dates for vacation (this doesn't apply to most of the office staff, though) but that is to be expected in the retail industry.

"Hard work, but great pay"

Current Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They give you everything you need to succeed in sales. Training, inventory, advertising, and a loyal customer base. If you are customer service oriented and have the drive to make sales you will do well here. If you just want a job and expect to do the minimum you will be unhappy with your results and pay. company bbq's and Christmas parties.

Cons

Its retail, the hours are not always the best, but that is the nature of the business. but they give you 'Comp" days for working holidays.

Advice to Management

Make sure your sales meetings are ALWAYS upbeat, positive, and gets us ready for business.

6. "Opportunity for Growth"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers, management encourages hiring from within, lots of opportunity to grow and learn, family-owned company

Cons

Interdepartmental communication can be dysfunctional

Advice to Management

Managers need to work together, rather than operating as separate "companies"

7. "Great Company with Room to Grow"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time

Pros

Endless earning potential. Family owned with small business mentality. Great service department and installation department.

Cons

Employees are responsible for educating themselves on products. Can be difficult to grow customer base. Working weekends is a necessity in this business, and it can cut into your home life.

Advice to Management

Create more of a positive selling environment. Giving the sales associates, especially new employees, positive reinforcement. Train employees to be productive members of the team.

"The Grass is Still Green Here...Even After 15 Years!"

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time

Pros

We all know the old cliche 'the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence'...From my experience the grass has been green since I started working here 15 years ago.

I started in sales at Standard and was later encouraged to advance my career into management.

I have been very fortunate to work with so many diverse people and projects throughout the years...Through all this, I have grown as a person, as a manager, and as a business owner.

I have worked at several companies in my working career and I have to say that I've never seen such a great concentration of the most exceptional minds in the industry; including the owner himself. We have learned so much from each other and have thrive together as a team.

Acknowledgement to the owner:

*The owner deserves to be acknowledge for making so many personal sacrifices to build this business and for helping employ so many people/families.
    *He has helped/encouraged so many people advance their careers internally...I'm one of them.
    *He gives to many local charities, family in need, employees in need, etc..
    *Thank you for keeping our yearly Christmas party and Picnic party undisturbed even through bad times...many of us and our families look forward to these annual events.

Cons

All companies have challenges and it would be easy for me to point my finger at someone/some situation/some policy/some thing that is wrong....Focusing on whats right and whats working has worked out better for me.

A 'Company' is made up of many individuals. The work atmosphere and company culture has always been the responsibility of each individual and each one of us have the power to influence our work atmosphere.

The company unity and leadership is not perfect but it works and has allowed this private local company to stand the test of time and weathered many economic and competitive storms.

Focus on whats right and you'll likely to get more of it.

Advice to Management

The best way to lead:

To lead in any area you have to elevate yourself first before you can elevate others...the higher the self elevation, the higher your leadership potential.
    (you can't give others what you don't have...commit yourself to constant learning)

Slow down...You must seek first to truly understand before you become understood.
    (win the heart of your people...you can do it!)

9. "1 Year Review"

Current Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After being here a year I have realized there is no cap to your earnings as long as you have the motivation and self discipline on Sales side.
    Management and help put in place to help you succeed if your will to utilize it.
    Training provided in all aspects from company and vendors

Cons

Micromanaging sometimes.
    No communication between departments
    Black OUT holiday weekends (all sales has to work major holiday weekends)

Advice to Management

Customize training and polices to individuals instead of same training for all. Easy up on some policies on sales side (ESP, Margin, shopping reports, AOR) if the production is over certain amount.

"Ten Years and Counting…."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

I have worked for Standard for almost ten years. When I started out, I was in Sales Support which is the bottom rung of the ladder. But, through the years, I have moved up the ranks several times. Each promotion was a new challenge, but I would not have succeeded if it had not been for the managers who encouraged me to branch out. Most managers at Standard encourage their employees to pursue career advancement. And upper management is always looking for skill sets in all employees that are not being fully utilized and get them involved in other projects. When I was still in Sales Support, I did a lot of writing for the builder and marketing division and it caught the attention of the owner. Standard is definitely the kind of place you can grow. There are several employees who have been here for 10, 20 years and they started in lower positions than they occupy now.

Cons

There are cons to working at any job at any employer. Your personal attitude affects your successes and failures the most. If you are just here to collect a paycheck, you will not find career satisfaction here. If you truly care about the customers, and have a strong personal work ethic, you can and will thrive here.

Advice to Management

I am lucky to have worked under many different managers at Standard that were fair, reasonable, and were team players. However, there are managers that do not fall under that category. They are few and far between at Standard, but to the less than desirable managers I would say, be consistent. Be consistent in how you enforce policy and procedures. Don't try to be a friend first and then a boss. Lead by example. Don't micromanage. Empower your employees to make decisions in the best interests of the customers.