Standard TV and Appliance Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Gander

"Sales people are not gods. You can't do or say anything you like."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Bouvets Warehouse, MO
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Bouvets Warehouse, MO

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of freedom to learn and grow. Challengin your self if you have the drive and energy to make a difference. It will be seen and rewarded by the people that work just as hard.....

Cons

Sales staff reminds me of used car dealers, they will say anything to get you to buy then forget all about you. Another analogy is, the drunken mistake. You wake up the next morning to find out that you got screwed by the ugly chick, when it looked so good the night before. And the worst thing is, the ugly chick doesn't even remember screwing you.

Advice to Management

Management, have your sales staff that know how follow though with customers show your used car dealers what it looks like to pay attention to the details of the orders they are responsible for. I promise if the customer gets what was actually said at time of the sale everyone will be much happier.

"Accounting"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Analyst II in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Analyst II in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are wonderful.The business is somewhat fast paced and can be challenging at times. A team effort always in place.

Cons

Management doesn't seem to really care about it's employees and their needs. Wage freeze since 2008 with no release discussed. Holiday pay eliminated. Not much incentive to be there unless you are a long time employee which holds nothing for you except your own satisfaction

Advice to Management

Hear your people. Don't single out just the money makers, everyone has a role to make you successful

Standard TV and Appliance Response

Aug 15, 2016 – Web Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are pleased to hear that you think the people are wonderful here. However, we would like to clear up the fact that there is no wage freeze ... More

"Not a good outlook, job for time-being"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gresham, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gresham, OR

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess just having a job.

Cons

Lack of everything! Lack of communication, lack of competent managers/supervisors, lack of structure, lack of holiday pay. Lack of training for office staff and training that's provided is so minimal, it's almost a joke. Why do you think this company's Yelp reviews are so terrible? They just throws their employees into the fire with barely any training so they're not equipped to address any customer concerns. Turnovers are ridiculous, everyone quits after realizing how disorganized this place is. CEO is blind to what's happening to his company. It's only going to get worse. A majority of the staff here hates this place. I wouldn't believe the positive reviews on here. I wouldn't recommend this place to anybody unless you are desperate for a job. There are much better companies to work for with better company culture!

Advice to Management

Pointless field, they don't take advice.

Standard TV and Appliance Response

Aug 4, 2016 – Web Administrator

Thank you for your comment. We want all of our employees to succeed in their position. For that reason, the company has and will continue to send employees to in-house training, provide one on one ... More

5. "Opportunities galore"

Current Employee - Sales in Happy Valley, OR
    Current Employee - Sales in Happy Valley, OR

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well established company been in business since 1947. Many long term employees who plan to stay until they retire. Owner very hands on with day to day operation

Cons

Appliance industry is a tricky business have to continue finding new ways to keep them coming to STVA instead of big box stores

Advice to Management

Make sure to take the time to recognize and thank your employees for a job well done

"Hard work, but great pay"

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They give you everything you need to succeed in sales. Training, inventory, advertising, and a loyal customer base. If you are customer service oriented and have the drive to make sales you will do well here. If you just want a job and expect to do the minimum you will be unhappy with your results and pay. company bbq's and Christmas parties.

Cons

Its retail, the hours are not always the best, but that is the nature of the business. but they give you 'Comp" days for working holidays.

Advice to Management

Make sure your sales meetings are ALWAYS upbeat, positive, and gets us ready for business.

7. "Opportunity for Growth"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers, management encourages hiring from within, lots of opportunity to grow and learn, family-owned company

Cons

Interdepartmental communication can be dysfunctional

Advice to Management

Managers need to work together, rather than operating as separate "companies"

8. "Great Company with Room to Grow"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time

Pros

Endless earning potential. Family owned with small business mentality. Great service department and installation department.

Cons

Employees are responsible for educating themselves on products. Can be difficult to grow customer base. Working weekends is a necessity in this business, and it can cut into your home life.

Advice to Management

Create more of a positive selling environment. Giving the sales associates, especially new employees, positive reinforcement. Train employees to be productive members of the team.

9. "1 Year Review"

Current Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After being here a year I have realized there is no cap to your earnings as long as you have the motivation and self discipline on Sales side.
    Management and help put in place to help you succeed if your will to utilize it.
    Training provided in all aspects from company and vendors

Cons

Micromanaging sometimes.
    No communication between departments
    Black OUT holiday weekends (all sales has to work major holiday weekends)

Advice to Management

Customize training and polices to individuals instead of same training for all. Easy up on some policies on sales side (ESP, Margin, shopping reports, AOR) if the production is over certain amount.

"The Grass is Still Green Here...Even After 15 Years!"

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time

Pros

We all know the old cliche 'the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence'...From my experience the grass has been green since I started working here 15 years ago.

I started in sales at Standard and was later encouraged to advance my career into management.

I have been very fortunate to work with so many diverse people and projects throughout the years...Through all this, I have grown as a person, as a manager, and as a business owner.

I have worked at several companies in my working career and I have to say that I've never seen such a great concentration of the most exceptional minds in the industry; including the owner himself. We have learned so much from each other and have thrive together as a team.

Acknowledgement to the owner:

*The owner deserves to be acknowledge for making so many personal sacrifices to build this business and for helping employ so many people/families.
    *He has helped/encouraged so many people advance their careers internally...I'm one of them.
    *He gives to many local charities, family in need, employees in need, etc..
    *Thank you for keeping our yearly Christmas party and Picnic party undisturbed even through bad times...many of us and our families look forward to these annual events.

Cons

All companies have challenges and it would be easy for me to point my finger at someone/some situation/some policy/some thing that is wrong....Focusing on whats right and whats working has worked out better for me.

A 'Company' is made up of many individuals. The work atmosphere and company culture has always been the responsibility of each individual and each one of us have the power to influence our work atmosphere.

The company unity and leadership is not perfect but it works and has allowed this private local company to stand the test of time and weathered many economic and competitive storms.

Focus on whats right and you'll likely to get more of it.

Advice to Management

The best way to lead:

To lead in any area you have to elevate yourself first before you can elevate others...the higher the self elevation, the higher your leadership potential.
    (you can't give others what you don't have...commit yourself to constant learning)

Slow down...You must seek first to truly understand before you become understood.
    (win the heart of your people...you can do it!)

"Ten Years and Counting…."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

I have worked for Standard for almost ten years. When I started out, I was in Sales Support which is the bottom rung of the ladder. But, through the years, I have moved up the ranks several times. Each promotion was a new challenge, but I would not have succeeded if it had not been for the managers who encouraged me to branch out. Most managers at Standard encourage their employees to pursue career advancement. And upper management is always looking for skill sets in all employees that are not being fully utilized and get them involved in other projects. When I was still in Sales Support, I did a lot of writing for the builder and marketing division and it caught the attention of the owner. Standard is definitely the kind of place you can grow. There are several employees who have been here for 10, 20 years and they started in lower positions than they occupy now.

Cons

There are cons to working at any job at any employer. Your personal attitude affects your successes and failures the most. If you are just here to collect a paycheck, you will not find career satisfaction here. If you truly care about the customers, and have a strong personal work ethic, you can and will thrive here.

Advice to Management

I am lucky to have worked under many different managers at Standard that were fair, reasonable, and were team players. However, there are managers that do not fall under that category. They are few and far between at Standard, but to the less than desirable managers I would say, be consistent. Be consistent in how you enforce policy and procedures. Don't try to be a friend first and then a boss. Lead by example. Don't micromanage. Empower your employees to make decisions in the best interests of the customers.