Standard TV and Appliance Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Bill Gander

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Hell on Earth"

I worked at Standard TV and Appliance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

discounts on what they sell...that is it...nothing else to recommend about this place

Cons

The owner is a tyrant. He is mentally unstable.

Advice to Management

Get a good therapist. And to the poor soul that has to respond to this review from STVA - I feel for you but defending that place must be taking you humanity bit by bit. Don't lie. You know STVA is a hellhole.

"Accounting"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Analyst II in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Analyst II in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are wonderful.The business is somewhat fast paced and can be challenging at times. A team effort always in place.

Cons

Management doesn't seem to really care about it's employees and their needs. Wage freeze since 2008 with no release discussed. Holiday pay eliminated. Not much incentive to be there unless you are a long time employee which holds nothing for you except your own satisfaction

Advice to Management

Hear your people. Don't single out just the money makers, everyone has a role to make you successful

Aug 15, 2016 – Web Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are pleased to hear that you think the people are wonderful here. However, we would like to clear up the fact that there is no wage freeze... More

"Not a good outlook, job for time-being"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gresham, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gresham, OR

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess just having a job.

Cons

Lack of everything! Lack of communication, lack of competent managers/supervisors, lack of structure, lack of holiday pay. Lack of training for office staff and training that's provided is so minimal, it's almost a joke. Why do you think this company's Yelp reviews are so terrible? They just throws their employees into the fire with barely any training so they're not equipped to address any customer concerns. Turnovers are ridiculous, everyone quits after realizing how disorganized this place is. CEO is blind to what's happening to his company. It's only going to get worse. A majority of the staff here hates this place. I wouldn't believe the positive reviews on here. I wouldn't recommend this place to anybody unless you are desperate for a job. There are much better companies to work for with better company culture!

Advice to Management

Pointless field, they don't take advice.

Aug 4, 2016 – Web Administrator

Thank you for your comment. We want all of our employees to succeed in their position. For that reason, the company has and will continue to send employees to in-house training, provide one on one... More

"Sales people are not gods. You can't do or say anything you like."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Bouvets Warehouse, MO
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Bouvets Warehouse, MO

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of freedom to learn and grow. Challengin your self if you have the drive and energy to make a difference. It will be seen and rewarded by the people that work just as hard.....

Cons

Sales staff reminds me of used car dealers, they will say anything to get you to buy then forget all about you. Another analogy is, the drunken mistake. You wake up the next morning to find out that you got screwed by the ugly chick, when it looked so good the night before. And the worst thing is, the ugly chick doesn't even remember screwing you.

Advice to Management

Management, have your sales staff that know how follow though with customers show your used car dealers what it looks like to pay attention to the details of the orders they are responsible for. I promise if the customer gets what was actually said at time of the sale everyone will be much happier.

"God awful"

Former Employee - Multiple in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Multiple in Portland, OR

I worked at Standard TV and Appliance full-time

Pros

Great co-workers that are awesome people to work with, good discounts when still working there on my kitchen appliances.

Cons

-No benefits without losing your paycheck
    -No holiday pay
    -No raises
    -No reviews for Raises either
    -Nothing gets done in a timely fashion
    -Outdate owner with EXTREMELY outdated policies
    -Zero communication between everybody and their departments
    -Vision insurance isn't even an option
    -Managers and Supervisors get "special treatment" and do anything they see fit
    -More wasted time than productive time spent in every department

Advice to Management

HAVE BILL RETIRE
    And get rid of all your incompetent personnel

Jun 3, 2016 – Administrative Assistant

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our employee discount benefit, but are saddened to hear that your overall experience working for our company... More

6. "A family friendly business"

Former Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I worked at Standard TV and Appliance part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at standard tv for 3 years and at times had a sick child or had to leave early
    The owner management worked with me to insure that a conflict with my employment didn't exist . A great place to work with a wonderful picnic / Christmas party for employees and children . A absolutely great place to learn , work ..

Cons

Some negative employees who seem to find fault in everything . Read some of the bad reviews seems like someone had more of a personal problem with Mr Gander .
    No place to work is perfect there is always ways to improve and management is willing to listen . Try it!!!!

Advice to Management

Listen to employee concerns and advice
    Sometimes can be very helpful .

7. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

Pros

A great opportunity in employment for growth, I learned many skills which helped me develop my teambuilding and networking as an employee. Management was always willing to listen to my thoughts and opinions for processes that would bring us more business and boost morale for the team. Overall I have only good things to say about working here, I read some of the reviews and I see things that are very contrary to what I experienced as an employee, I always felt I had lots of support and an enthusiastic response from my fellow co-workers and management. Definitely a great place to work.

Cons

Occasional negativity from co-workers who did not necessarily meld well with the team mentality of working at Standard TV and appliance.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job, I felt you always supported me very well during my employment.

8. "Opportunities galore"

Current Employee - Sales in Happy Valley, OR
    Current Employee - Sales in Happy Valley, OR

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well established company been in business since 1947. Many long term employees who plan to stay until they retire. Owner very hands on with day to day operation

Cons

Appliance industry is a tricky business have to continue finding new ways to keep them coming to STVA instead of big box stores

Advice to Management

Make sure to take the time to recognize and thank your employees for a job well done

9. "Great Comradery"

I have been working at Standard TV and Appliance full-time

Pros

Positive relationships among employees. Everyone seems pretty polite, and willing to help each other out. There are many opportunities to grow in the company.

Cons

There seems to be somewhat of a disconnect between different departments in the company, which can, at times, cause communication issues.

Advice to Management

You can’t give too much positive feedback. Excellent customer service and productivity comes from satisfied employees who's needs are being met.

"Like living with an alcoholic father"

Pros

The employees are amazing. The best group of coworkers I have ever had.

Cons

Bill Gander, owner of Standard, is the most unstable person I have ever met. When he would arrive for the day people would literally scatter as to not be in his path. He would publicly humiliate anyone who he disagreed with and treated his employees like scum. He took away many benefits like 401k match and paid holidays and hasn't brought them back in several years.

The managers meetings consisted of hours of listening to him talk at a podium. He doesn't listen to any suggestions from his managers and has continued to make Standard one of the worst places to work. Many of his employees are looking for other employment and many of them have already left.

I feel sorry for employees who do not know what they are getting themselves in to.

Advice to Management

It is time for Bill Gander to retire and allow his management team the opportunity to develop employee morale.

May 26, 2016

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear you felt this way while working here. We strive to provide an ideal work environment for our employees. Please be advised that as of... More