Standing Dog Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mike Wylie

"I know I will never have the opportunity to work for a company like this again."

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Standing Dog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The level of integrity that this company works with is unparalleled. Marketing work is everywhere, but it's rare to work for a company that practices what it preaches when it comes to doing the right thing. Standing Dog truly cares for its employees and its clients and the feeling is mutual. Mike Wylie is one of the finest leaders I have ever had the opportunity to work for and his leadership drives a creative force that shares the mission of being a total strategic digital solution that inspires trust, instillis confidence and provides proactive results for their clients.

Flex time and place is a benefit that we take pride in. It's not about working harder, it's about working smarter. My creative hours often hit me as soon as my head hits the pillow at night. Now I can use that energy to get up and make something happen without worrying about lack of sleep. I can fit my workout in mid-day and still get all my work done while watching the sunset from my home balcony. Because of flex time I was able to be back home when my nephew was born and not miss any pressing deliverables.

Standing dog is a family. We all learn together and play together and teach each other. It is an amazing agency to work for - and I cannot say enough great things about the culture and level of service we have the opportunity to provide our clients because we get to work in such a happy, fulfilling environment.

Cons

There are growing pains with any company. But as we all take ownership of our company we are addressing these issues together to create stable and long lasting growth. Our teams may be young, but they're some of the brightest, most intelligent and driven young people I've ever had the opportunity to work with. The future of online marketing is being fostered here and I cannot WAIT to see what we are capable of!

Advice to Management

Keep fertilizing the ground you're sowing your seeds in. You're planting a beautiful future for a garden of prize employees which turns into the best possible experience for our wonderful clients!

"Fast-Paced and Diverse"

I have been working at Standing Dog full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Standing Dog works in an industry that is constantly changing and growing which requires quick pivots on a tactical and strategic level. For anyone who wants to keep growing and learning, Standing Dog's focus on digital strategy for its clients will stay interesting.

The team is top-notch but, probably more than most companies, you get out of the team what you put into it. If you're striving to increase your knowledge and experience, everything you need to succeed is waiting for you. But if you don't have a lot of self-motivation, stay far away.

Cons

Like any digital agency, there's a lot of turnover since most of the staff is early in their careers. Clients can be demanding as well if their KPIs aren't being met.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for top talent to replace those who get poached by recruiters.

"Great Place to Work, Grow"

Former Employee - PPC Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - PPC Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Standing Dog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Company keeps it's employees up to date
    -Working from Home options
    -Learning Environment where questions are appreciated
    -Expanding Quickly! Big opportunities
    -Management regularly asks you for your feedback, actually takes action on it
    -Holds fun events (happy hours, movies, picnics) pretty regularly
    -A lot of very intelligent people
    -Company sponsored teams are a blast
    -Senior management provides mentoring opportunities and helps you actively work towards your personal and professional goals

Cons

-Expanding Quickly! Just a few growing pains

Advice to Management

I think y'all are doing a great job with the fast growth in the company.

"Liked my job, disliked the company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Standing Dog full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Standing Dog is like being in college. You learn things, make friends and leave. As other reviewers said, it's best to treat your time like a year or two at a specialized school and get your degree in SEO, Paid Search, Analytics and then graduate to another company. Some of the long term employees were very knowledgeable so treat them like professors, kiss butt and you'll be golden. My coworkers and direct supervisor were great even though there were cliques.

The work itself was varied and challenging and they have some high profile clients. The clients stick around longer than 99% of employees so Standing Dog is doing something right. Their reputation is good so working here will look good on your resume. Perks were okay, including working from home once a week and fun company events but most companies of its kind also have those. A lot of hot girls worked there, is that a perk? Hours were not long most of the time and it was a standard 40 hour workweek.

Cons

Pay is not good. Breakfast every Friday does not make up for paying 20-50% less than the DFW market. The company experienced close to 100% turnover each year from people quitting and getting fired. I've never seen turnover like this outside of a restaurant or call center. This gave long term employees a lot of power as they were the only ones with deep knowledge, which meant a lot of the long time employees had job security even though they were lazy, unprofessional or hard to work with. But most of the people I worked with are gone now.

There was no room for advancement. Mid and senior level positions were filled from outside the company.

The CEO didn't seem like he wanted to be there and often seemed distracted or unhappy, yet he demanded to be involved in the smallest of decisions. He didn't trust any of his employees so we didn't trust him either. The CEO was always changing policies and rules for no reason and Standing Dog had far more paperwork and procedures than most companies of its size, yet it was still disorganized. He'd criticize employees and clients to other employees, which was very unprofessional and hurt morale. He asked employees to write positive reviews on Glassdoor. Look at the 5 star reviews from this fall.

Advice to Management

The CEO should take some time off and go get new clients. Increase pay, take a hard look at underperforming employees and work harder to keep good ones.

Apr 14, 2014 – HR Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience at Standing Dog, LLC. It is our goal to make everyone’s experience here a positive experience, however we realize that it is ... More

6. "In-the-Know Digital Marketing Agency That is Moving Forward"

Current Employee - SEO Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - SEO Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Standing Dog full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked at Standing Dog for almost 7 months. I have to almost laugh at some of the "negative" reviews posted because honestly, I love this place. I get to come to work every day and not only learn something new from insanely intelligent leadership, but also laugh with and enjoy my co-workers. It doesn't seem like "work" (even though some tasks are going to be a bit mundane - but then again, doesn't every job have those aspects?) when you are with great people and have a CEO and President who are genuinely interested in each individual and how you're progressing in your role and career. They are never "too busy" to meet with and give you that extra bit of confidence that you're doing your job well or be willing to help you improve. Each week we fill out a report that comments on our "wins" for the week along with how we think the morale is around the office and to offer up any suggestions. This is a mandatory report we do every week for our CEO. How cool is that? I don't know of may companies that the CEO reads 50+ reports each week on how things are going in various departments and levels in the company AND takes the time to respond to each one. We get great benefits for a smaller company, breakfast brought in every Friday, surprise afternoons off/leave early days, summer hours, work-from-home days, company sponsored Happy Hours and in-office lunches/birthday parties, etc. The work hard/play hard mentality is definitely here and if you can mesh with that, this place is for you. There is a good portion of the company that has been here 3+ years (the company is only 8 years old) and I'd say about half are within the last year or so. We are growing, moving forward fast and we have great clients.

Cons

The training and mentoring has gotten so much better since I started. That has been a huge help!

Advice to Management

Since we do reports every week to our CEO/management, there is nothing I can really say here!

7. "Top level marketing firm who values its employees"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Standing Dog full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Standing Dog sets the bar for the best marketing company. The benefits are great which explains how the employees are top knotch. Teamwork is stressed and positive attitudes are required.

Cons

Lets face the facts- IF you don't like computers or sitting at a desk, this might not be the best job for you.. IF you don't like to work hard- This might not be the job for you.

Advice to Management

Continue raising the bar and Standing Dog will keep recruiting the best!

8. "Fun company growing fast"

I have been working at Standing Dog full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun loving culture
    Serious about client care
    Cool client portfolio

Cons

Slightly heavy workload but not as bad as some agencies.

"Great place to work and learn"

Former Employee - Interactive Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Interactive Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Standing Dog full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid home/work life balance
    Summer hours
    Work from home days
    Family is very important

Cons

Clicks easily form with coworkers

Oct 11, 2013 – HR Manager

We’re pleased to know that some of our great fringe benefits are well-received. Having employees here who work hard to make Standing Dog a great place to be allow us to offer perks like working from ... More

"Seemed great at first but eventually you figure out why all the skilled people left"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

- Some interesting clients.
    - You are allowed to work from home sometimes.

Cons

- Weird politics
    - President is micro managing
    - The ratio of account reps bringing in the work and developers/designer actually doing the work is like 10:1 (almost never able to meet deadlines)
    - Always hiring, always firing. Feels like a train station sometimes, people come and go.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to keep people with the company for longer than a year.

Oct 11, 2013 – HR Manager

We have been listening to our employees (both current and former) in order to improve retention and make Standing Dog a place with career longevity. Our turnover rate is getting better, and we think ... More

11. "SEO Analyst"

I worked at Standing Dog part-time

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, professional coworkers and projects that relates to your experience.

Cons

Not enough room for advancement or learn new things.