Stanford Health Care Reviews

Updated May 15, 2021

4.0
Stanford Health Care President and CEO David Entwistle
David Entwistle
Pros
  • "Culture of respect & caring team, great benefits(in 58 reviews)

• "Good pay, good benefits, solid workflow(in 39 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor work life balance, high cost of living(in 27 reviews)

• "Challenging to balance clinical and research obligations, much less work/life balance(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Stanford Health Care and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

Perfect place for a new grad

Nov 20, 2020 - Nurse Residency Program in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, good ratios, good benefits

Cons

Nothing bad to say about this work environment so far

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great

Apr 13, 2021 - Emergency Medicine Resident in Stanford, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

good pay, good benefits, good staff

Cons

none I can think of

3. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Terrible management and blatant favoritism

Apr 13, 2021 - Sterile Processing Technician
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, plenty of pto hours, relatively light work load for what it is.

Cons

Absolutely terrible management of the team. They claim to not want drama between shifts, but only make it worse by disregarding any criticism and pointing all blame towards the evening shift. Doesn't matter if it happened when the evening shift hasnt even come in yet, they'll find a way to point it at them anyway. Along with that, the manager blatantly disregards protocols in exchange for a quicker processing time. At one point we had a representative come in to show how endoscopic scopes are processed, and as soon as the rep left, she turned to us and said, "We aren't going to do any of that." Not only that, but if you are relatively new to the job, expect to be talked down to A LOT. In my time being here, I have been told that I would have no right to say when something is wrong, because the person doing it knows more than I do. I was told directly to me, "You have no right to talk, mind your own business, that person can't be wrong because they're never wrong." Management aside, this location isn't unionized, which may not be a deal breaker to some but you may wish you had one after working here. Also, it's painfully obvious how much funding goes into publicity and construction than it does to make work places more efficient and safe.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Needs more focus on wellness

May 15, 2021 - Physician
      Business Outlook

Pros

Stable income with good benefits

Cons

Needs better work/life balance and less of a focus on RVUs (and more on patient care)

5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Stanford Healthcare Discriminates

May 9, 2021 - Medical Director in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing intellectual capital. Emphasis on research, rather than patient care. If one can tolerate the disparity in treatment for those who are not white males, this could be a good place to work. Great place to work if you are a white male who wishes to excel without the same education or experience as the women who work side-by-side with you.

Cons

If you are not a white male, think twice about working here. If quality patient care is your goal, think twice. The quality department continues to go through huge changes. The hospital's faculty physician's are encouraged to focus on academic achievements rather than patient care.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

best place i've ever worked

May 10, 2021 - Patient Access Representative in Pleasanton, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have amazing benefits, great pay and a positive work environment

Cons

The only con for me is that it is an expensive area but that is the bay area

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Decent place to work

Apr 22, 2021 - Technical Support Specialist in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Understanding environment, smart dedicated colleagues, flexible, decent benefits.

Cons

Almost no ability to advance. Rarely have heard of someone getting a promotion or advancing in their career. Even after completing a grad school degree. Only the top most level of management seems to move around and promote themselves, give themselves new titles (and I assume along with that more pay). They will often look to outside applicants for open positions vs. within.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Fair compensation

May 7, 2021 - Hospital Chaplain in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Integration between Spiritual Care team and clinicians.

Cons

Surgical focused over medical. No medical insurance for part time.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Decent hourly pay, but still too low for the Bay Area

Mar 30, 2021 - Hospital Patient Transporter in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Benefits are really good - including pet insurance for full-time employees! 2. A well-oiled machine of a place, so there's no uncertainty on what the job is and what your responsibilities are 3. Transporters get so much exercise, so you WILL lose weight. 4. You'll see and experience some incredible and often emotional things working in a hospital - for example, you'll meet people who are dead or dying. 5. There was a mix of employees who were only there for a year or two, and people who were there for 20 years. Good job for students, since you can work weekends or nights as a part-timer, but also inflexible scheduling. Per diem is a nightmare. Good for full-time since it's such a stable job.

Cons

1. While I was there, there was almost a union strike. Our pay was less than other hospitals in the same area. They eventually compromised, but it was pretty wild for 6 months. 2. Job satisfaction really depends on who the manager / supervisor is. While I was there, a shift in management was really difficult to handle, since the first guy was more understanding about his employees having lives than the second guy. 3. Point system for late / absent days feels dehumanizing - you are definitely just a replaceable cog in the machine. 4. Job requires a lot of energy to be constantly personable, walk all over the large hospital, and finish transports within a time window. 5. While I was there, I was told it was better to come to work sick (and hopefully be sent home) than to call out. Pretty terrible employee-to-employer trust there.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee

Poor Management

May 9, 2021 - Advance Practice Provider
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good and fair salary Good benefits

Cons

Terrible management and no recognition for my advanced credentials. Scribing is not clinical care. Very unfair practices and no support for APPs. You will be treated like a high school student.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 819 Reviews