Stanford Health Care Reviews | Glassdoor

Stanford Health Care Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • great pay great benefits great people (in 26 reviews)

• A positive environment, a great physical plant, excellent pay and benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work in an area with an extremely high cost of living (in 21 reviews)

• Work life balance is difficult to achieve (in 11 reviews)

"Ambulatory Care Pharmacist"

Current Employee - Ambulatory Care Pharmacist
    Current Employee - Ambulatory Care Pharmacist

I have been working at Stanford Health Care part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexibilty, excellent medical facility, up to date knowledge

Cons

competitive cut throat atmosphere that can be ruthless

Feb 9, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your 10 years of service at Stanford and for your candid review and feedback, it helps us learn about specific areas we can improve. While I can't respond to your comments about the ... More

"The heart of stanford is great but the upper management makes it difficult to do our jobs well."

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford Health Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stanford is great because of the people working there. You can tell people take their jobs seriously and everyone respects each other's role in the system

Cons

Its not great in that they don't seem to value their employees very much. Also, I have felt the consequences budget cuts implemented by the new CEO. It seems like some units are scrambling to make everything work

Feb 9, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing a review. Candid feedback from employees is vital. We’re committed to continuing your positive experience with Stanford and will pass on your advice to management. Please ... More

3. "Admin"

Pros

Good company to work and learn

Cons

Nothing to comment. No cons.

Feb 9, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Great to hear you’re enjoying your role with Stanford! - Rima, Talent Acquisition

5. "Growth Opportunity"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford Health Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to grow and learn, easy to move around the orgnization

Cons

Large company, could get lost in the crowd

"Sterile buildings with septic managers"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford Health Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free public transportation (CalTrain/VTA), good networking opportunities. Plenty of lateral movement opportunities. Entry level salaries higher than University admin jobs.

Cons

Talent Acquisition (recruiters) ruthlessly lowball salary. True COL increases only available via promotion or title change. Little/no career track for admin roles, unless you are male. Managers turnover so frequently they are not well trained on employment laws and violate them, protected only by the 'he said she said' rule. Cowboy culture in certain clinic settings.

Advice to Management

Senior management upheavals every five years destabilizes the rest of the organization and fosters a culture of fear. Employees at the lower end of the economic spectrum pay the most to work here (parking, few dining options, vacancy/shift coverage, loss of personal time spent commuting). The turnover of these non-exempt employees due to such satisfaction issues will result in sub-optimal patient care. Patients have many local options to choose from, as do dissatisfied and broke(n) employees.

7. "Great Hospital"

I have been working at Stanford Health Care full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, and staff genuinely care for patients

Cons

High expectations from patients and staff/managers

8. "Great benefits..not department"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford Health Care full-time

Pros

Awesome top notch benefits. Opportunities for overtime

Cons

Not so good leadership. Toxic departmental culture. Lacking in vision and focus. Poor training program and training expectations.

Advice to Management

Overhaul the training program. Re-evaluate leadership. Reboot the entire department from a "paramilitary" to a "Public Safety" focus.

"Very political organization"

I have been working at Stanford Health Care full-time

Pros

- Doctors and nurses are great to work with and really passionate about their work
    - Pay is good
    - Hours are reasonable

Cons

This organization is highly political, and decisions are constantly being made based on how to gain favor with executives, rather than what is the right thing to do for the organization. It is soul-sucking to have to do work that you know isn't going to have an impact, but which you have been told to do anyway.

Also, management is hypocritical when it comes to Lean management. They say they want a Lean organization, but then management themselves don't adhere to Lean principles. They spend more time in meetings with other executives than actually mentoring and coaching their staff.

Finally, SHC recently had a layoff, which they handled really poorly. Staff members with years of dedicated service, whose roles had been eliminated, were walked out the door like criminals and not even given the opportunity to say goodbye to colleagues. This isn't the way to treat professionals with years of loyal service to the organization.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees. Help your employees be successful. Don't spend all your time locked away in executive meetings.

Practice what you preach. If you want a Lean organization, then be a Lean leader! Actions speak louder than words.

Finally, treat your employees (including laid off employees) with respect. Otherwise, morale will suffer and employees left behind will wonder when their "walk of shame" is coming too.

Feb 2, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your candor and for bringing your concerns to our attention. Our employees are crucial to our mission, and we couldn’t do it without them. Through careful consideration, our leaders ... More

"Patient Account Representative L"

I worked at Stanford Health Care full-time

Pros

Good learning institution and pay good benefits.

Cons

Unprofessional management and insensitive attitudes towards employees.

Advice to Management

To be fair with all employees

"Less autonomy now with new leadrership"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse

I have been working at Stanford Health Care full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best money than almost every other hospital anywhere. Great resources, and first rate technology

Cons

No support for middle management. People become managers due to injury. They are left to drown and the front line suffers

Advice to Management

Don't tell us we have a budget crisis when you are building a multi million dollar complex right next door. Also, don't tell us we have incremental overtime issues when your salaries are three times as much as ours....