Stanford Management Company Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
  1. "Investment Associate"

Former Employee - Investment Associate in Stanford, CA

I worked at Stanford Management Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Doesn't get better than this for an investment management job. Access to best investment partners in the business across asset classes. Opportunities to be creative with deal structuring. Very intelligent coworkers who will give you responsibility if you are hungry and step up. I went through the leadership transition and I can say with confidence the organization is a more streamlined, investment-focused place than...

Cons

Management has done a great job working through the transition but still some room for improvement. Formal processes could still use some refinement. SMC is a work environment that will work well for those that are proactive in their communication with management, sitting around waiting for instructions will not bode as well if you seek to grow and gain additional responsibility.

Advice to Management

Some improvement to communication and direction with younger investment staff could make them feel more involved, but management is aware of this and taking steps to address this.

Stanford Management Company2018-07-17
  2. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Stanford Management Company

Pros

Very friendly work place with commitment to finding and employing best management practices. Beautiful location on campus.

Cons

I was the only intern in my department.

Stanford Management Company2016-11-22
  3. "Investment Associate"

I worked at Stanford Management Company

Pros

Intelligent people making the right decisions

Cons

Leadership change, low morale, difficult to get things done

Stanford Management Company2016-07-31
  4. "Company Overview"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Stanford, CA

I worked at Stanford Management Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A close knit place but investment team and CFO team are not too close

Cons

a lot of restructuring going on (new CEO and CFO) so there is a changing culture and some uncertainty regarding positions. Many people were forced out or left.

Stanford Management Company2015-08-23
  5. "An organization in upheaval"

I worked at Stanford Management Company

Pros

A close and active relationship with Stanford University. A great campus atmosphere. A lot of University benefits. Great commute options.

Cons

A organization that is in a complete state of chaos. The former president left in the spring, the new President just started. No direction, a lot of roles and positions will continue to be cut and/or out sourced to the university or outside vendors.

Advice to Management

Management needs to seek input and be willing to accept ideas and negative feedback from staff. Everyone is scared and just not sure whether their position will be here in a year. Not a good environment.

Stanford Management Company2015-07-17
  6. "Fantastic Learning Environment for interns"

I have been working at Stanford Management Company

Pros

Awesome people who care about what you are doing and what you are learning

Cons

Benefits are limited to drinks

Stanford Management Company2015-05-26
    • "A great place to work, especially for responsible investors"

I have been working at Stanford Management Company

Pros

It has a great culture where employees can exchange ideas freely and get a constructive feedback. Also, office is spacious, and in an awesome environment (Stanford)!

Cons

Although my manager trained me regularly, it appears that there is not a consistent employee-education program for all employees. Also, perks is limited to drinks.

Advice to Management

There would be not much to recommend to the management team as they do a fantastic job now. The work environment, however, could be even better if a more effective educational program is in place.

Stanford Management Company2015-03-04
      • "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Stanford Management Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SMC is inside Stanford Graduate School of Business, easy access to amazing events at GSB.

Cons

Difficult to land a job at SMC.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Stanford Management Company2015-01-18

"Good exposure and experience but limited long term growth potential (most associates leave for an MBA)"

Former Employee - Investment Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Stanford Management Company

Pros

Very strong brand and exposure to world class investing firms. Good work life balance and interaction with the Stanford community for those who want it. Not too many people and a generally friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Company has historically had some issues with the departments becoming very isolated, though it is currently working to further enable cross department synergies. Company has historically had communication/relationship problems between senior management and middle management/junior staff. These too are currently being resolved, which is a good sign.

Stanford Management Company2012-02-12