Stanley Black & Decker Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James M. Loree

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work-life balance in certain roles (in 26 reviews)

• Lack of personalization in upper management (in 22 reviews)

1. "Great company but could be better"

Current Employee - Graphic Design Manager in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Graphic Design Manager in Towson, MD

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced and very driven. Wide range of deliverables.

Cons

Decisions tend to be more gut based than research based. Best in its class but uses the bare minimum in resources.

Advice to Management

Incentivize more. Employees should have more of a stake in the company's success

2. "Jackson TN Plant is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker (More than 5 years)

Pros

They care about their people.

Cons

The company is very large and it's hard to be agile when you are that large.

3. "Glad I moved on"

Former Employee - Outbound Supervisor in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Outbound Supervisor in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good tool discounts to employees.
    -Good snack/lunch lounge.
    -Big facility
    There are probably more, but I can't seem to recall at this time.

Cons

During 2016, the operations department worked on 38 Saturdays with no extra pay/compensation. While operations works on Saturdays (and occasional Sunday) office personnel do not come in (HR, accounting, ISO, clerks, etc.).I genuinely felt that there was no appreciation for the work performed. In all, I had 87 associates to manage in 5 departments, to include weekly Kronos audits for clocking punches, reviews for full time SBD employees, conduct Lean/6-Sigma events, manage temp agency hired associates, assess weekly production efficiency on each associate, and conduct counseling/corrective actions on. The HR department was slow to respond or to provide guidance on corrective actions, information for floor associates, etc. Iver the year I found that several of the supervisors (my peers) would pick and chose which rules in the Employee Hand Book to enforce and follow and in general some in the management areas had favorites who were not held accountable for transgressions/violations. A real clickish atmosphere existed at the FMDC plant. I did not feel like the supervisors were on the same team--1st shift does not support or set 2nd shift up for success, 2nd shift does not support or set 3rd shift up for success, 3rd shift does not support or set 1st shift up for success. There was a lot of passing the buck from other managers outside of operations giving information and tasking for the supervisors to manage and do the leg work. HR, ISO, and others would frequently schedule meetings for me to attend during off shift hours. The safety department and ISO department were reactionary. When an inspector was coming to the plant, these were important areas, but other than that they were just words, badges, "nod your head and agree" points. In total, I genuinely felt that because I had not been working in the facility for 5+ years, that my input was not valued or desired. I started to get a bad attitude because of this and adopted a "Save Your Breath" mentality towards the job.

Advice to Management

-If Operations works, all should work

5. "Embedded Operations Contractor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, CO

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The job scheduling was consistent, and benefits were better as a long term contractor then most people would expect them to be.

Cons

Some times the work load was far to high for each position than one person could manage, and OT was rarely offered to manage the higher work load times.

6. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Monitor Specialist in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Monitor Specialist in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker (More than 10 years)

Pros

Do have several benefits, opportunity to buy Stanley stuff, tools, clothes etc....which I loved!!!! There was plenty of chances for advancement

Cons

There is alot of favoritism with management and employees. Paywise - When I started over 10 yrs ago I only had 4 raises, which was a total of $5.52. Had 2 yrs of raise freeze. Training is not good as it used to be. Alot of turnover too!

7. "Associate Product Manager"

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Southington, CT
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Southington, CT

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an excellent company for very driven individuals. The atmosphere is fast paced and high pressure but there is a tremendous amount of opportunity and a great sense of pride within the organization.

Cons

This company provides great opportunity and challenges but at times there can be excessive pressure and hours. The common concern across many parts of the business is work life balance.

Advice to Management

Less focus on extremely lean conditions and investment into areas that need extra capacity to oversee the day to day operations.

8. "Innovation teams are a fulfilling place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Towson, MD

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This review is only relating to the SBD Innovation Teams. I have no experience with the greater organization. The SBD Innovation Teams are designed to run like Start-ups inside of a corporate umbrella.
    Coming from the start-up world and with a new family, I was looking for a dynamic, fast environment, but also something that was a little more secure. When a recruiter pitched me on the SBD Innovation Teams, I called bull, but I decided to engage in a discussion at least. In the end I did more than talk, I jumped in with both feet. Best career decision I have ever made.
    - Engaging Work Environment: Teams identify projects they feel bring value and begin to explore. Decisions are made from the bottom up.
    - Purposeful Work: “Will this project positively change the lives of 100 million people?” is a criterion we use for evaluating new projects.
    - Room for Personal Growth: Individual growth and exploration is valued.

Cons

You are protected under a corporate umbrella. Win or lose, you probably still have a job. For that insurance, you give up the opportunity for the big payout in the end.

Advice to Management

Keep these teams going, and keep them independent of one another.

9. "Stanley Black & Decker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker (More than 3 years)

Pros

Global company with opportunities across the world

Cons

Poor work/life balance. Hard to promote from certain departments.

10. "Progressive Company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growth oriented. Strong Finance and Marketing oriented Company

Cons

Work Life balance can sometimes be rough

11. "all round shop worker do it all"

Current Employee - Die Setter in Hampstead, MD
    Current Employee - Die Setter in Hampstead, MD

I have been working at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good people work as team

Cons

need better worker they want to start at the top

Advice to Management

need better worker