Stanley M Isaacs Neighborhood Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Stanley M Isaacs Neighborhood Center Reviews

Updated August 17, 2017

3.8
Stanley M Isaacs Neighborhood Center President and Executive Director Gregory Morris
Gregory Morris

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Staff Member"

I worked at Stanley M Isaacs Neighborhood Center full-time

Pros

Great community organization for youth and seniors. Participants can gain a lot of experience and knowledge. It has grown over the years in programming and the community. With some minor adjustments they can be one of the best non-profit agencies in Manhattan.

Cons

Some expectations are just not communicated well with senior management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff who are in the trenches daily. Follow through and create more unity between departments that have to work together.

2. "MSW - Advance Year Placement"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Stanley M Isaacs Neighborhood Center as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall nice people to work with, well run and well organized. Members are lovely and space is comfortable and friendly. Good supervision.

Cons

Some people are not so friendly, but if you are interning/working in the Clinical Area of service the team is really good, supportive and professional, you have to just not take it personally.

Advice to Management

Reminder to all associates of the importance of taking the time to greet one another, especially new hires and interns in the hallways, lunchroom, etc. I think this would improve interdepartmental connection and company culture.

Apart from this, the place is great - bravo and congratulations on creating and maintaining a nice work space and company culture.

3. "Social Work intern"

Current Intern - Service Manager in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Service Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Stanley M Isaacs Neighborhood Center as an intern (More than 5 years)

Pros

The staff members are very helpful.

Cons

No negative feedback as of now.

4. "Good Entry Level Organisation"

Pros

-Generous paid leave policy (including holidays its over 5 weeks of paid time off per year)
    - Friendly co-workers
    - Great opportunities to work with a variety of populations (seniors, young adults, kids)
    - A diverse and multi cultural staff
    - Strong ties to the community that the organisation serves.
    - ample opportunities to work with other agencies and departments
    - relaxed work culture, good work/life balance

Cons

- all supervisors and managers seem very over worked and spread too thin not leaving much time for direct supervision or performance feed back
    - despite regular and routine maintenance the building is very old and has many issues such as temp control, vermin, aging facilities
    - few opportunities for advancement and salary increases. When they are offered they are limited due to budgetary constraints.
    - High turnover. At least half a dozen employees left the company during employment.
    - Due to busy supervisors firing process can drag and take longer than it should

Advice to Management

Make up for an inability to offer salary increases by providing other types of benefits such as more time off or providing once a week catered lunch for employees or other creative options.

Be attentive to individuals employees complaints or requests. Set aside time during the day or week so that employees can have access to management/ supervisors and feel listened too.

Formalizing some form of work/performance review would be an excellent way to improve employee/management communications.

5. "Great After School Program"

Former Intern - Group Leader/Program Aide in Bronx, NY
    Former Intern - Group Leader/Program Aide in Bronx, NY

I worked at Stanley M Isaacs Neighborhood Center as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I was offered a job within 2 months working as a Social Work Intern. Great company, Staff and overall community services were excellent. This company offers room for individual growth.

Cons

There were no complaints

6. "A intern"

Former Intern - Clerical Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Clerical Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Love it there. People was so kind love working there as an internship.

Cons

I don't nothing bad to say about it.

7. "Office aide"

Former Employee - Office Aide in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Office Aide in New York, NY

I worked at Stanley M Isaacs Neighborhood Center (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a great opportunity in meeting new people

Cons

I was listed as part time but made to work full time hours with no benefits

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better it goes a long way

8. "Review"

Current Employee - Program Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Program Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Stanley M Isaacs Neighborhood Center part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great for building experience in youth and family services.

Cons

program needs better communication set up

Advice to Management

Better Communication skills need

9. "New Hire"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

The responded quickly to my application. After two interviews they offered me the position. The Interviews were very professional but not tense or stressful. They included a written assignment during the hiring process. The benefits package included med, dental, vision, life and 401k. Lots vacation time.

Cons

The hiring process seemed a little slow but overall not too bad. About 1 month from first contact to job offer.

Advice to Management

I just appreciate them giving me chance

10. "Advisor"

Former Employee - Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Stanley M Isaacs Neighborhood Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best things about this organization is the line staff and the clients you work with on a daily basis. Great neighborhood for lunch and strolling.

Cons

Sometimes being in a management position one can forget what it's like to work in an entry or non-management position.

Advice to Management

Perhaps things have changed, hopefully, my suggestion is to just connect with staff a little more.