Stantec Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stantec President and CEO Bob Gomes
Bob Gomes

Pros
Cons
  • HR will gossip about the concerns you brought forth to the perpetrators (most likely upper management) which only exacerbates the situation (in 22 reviews)

• Certain projects require a surrender of work-life balance; poor estimation of project resources (in 11 reviews)

"It was great... Before we were acquired by Stantec."

Current Employee - Designer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They give you a week of paid time off at the winter holidays, as long as they had a good year financially. Yes, this is the best incentive about the firm.

Cons

Globally: They're an acquisition hungry firm. Having gone through one myself, they focus more on the next firm they're going to gobble up than focusing on how to improve the ones they've already purchased. Not every former company fits into your super super corporate mold. I've felt like I work for the Federal Government sometimes.

Emails from corporate never feel personal or believable.

Locally: Stantec sort of killed our office culture... Slowly people have started realizing it, and when it starts to affect them personally, they leave.

Advice to Management

Focus on how you can make the employees happy at your acquired firms. You purchased them because they're great. Accommodate them and listen to what they need in order to stay great.

"If you here you are being acquired make a run for the door while they are still evaluating you."

Current Employee - Project Administrator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Administrator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros are you get decent benefits for such a large company, and the employees are easy to work with and for. (Not Managers or Regional Coordinators) If you are lucky to get the bonus for staying put after being acquired then beware of the end result. I got 1/3 what we were promised.

Cons

Being a public company the job is profit driven. Lots of turnover and layoffs each quarter when earnings come out. Growth by acquisition yet once your purchased you are forgotten. If you got in on the upswing 10 years ago then you are rewarded, after that your just a number.

Advice to Management

Think smaller when it comes to dealing with people, don't lump everyone into one region where you barely speak and expect quality work to get done. Feels like government work and is life draining.

3. "an ok firm that is stale in its design focus"

Former Employee - Landscape Architect in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Landscape Architect in Boston, MA

I worked at Stantec full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

my co-workers were nice and friendly. I had a lot of fun with them, very open with a good sense of humor. Stantec is a giant company with over 15k employees so there are great opportunities to work on a wide variety of projects. The Boston office location is great and they make sure they are easily commutable. 401k match is good (4% match)

Cons

Upper management is terrible. The biggest issue with them is getting your time card in on time and meeting your utility rate. They are soft on their design focus and do little to break new ground. There is little mentoring and your career path is solely up to you to develop, they have no follow up on the items outlined in past reviews. Their software\IT department is 15years behind their peers (dated file management process, dated internet connections\pipeline and their issuance of new machines are very slow). Salary is low, health insurance is expensive and not good coverage.

"2D - 3D Design Visualization Specialist"

Current Employee - 3D Digital Artist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - 3D Digital Artist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Stantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company, supportive staff, good benifits

Cons

Off and on work life balance.

"Great opportunity for an entry level LA."

Current Employee - Landscape Designer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Landscape Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Stantec full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office environment and perks (good coffee, breakfast, water)
    Great mentorship from senior staff

Cons

pay is awful
    work life balance and expectation that you should sacrifice life for work when ultimately you are disposable,